HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-06-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
mamacze

Smile POLL: Any Stage IV deciding to go off Herceptin?

Hi Girls!
My oncologist wanted me to ask ... all of you who are Stage IV and NED for several years.... what are your treatment protocols? I was diagnosed in March 2004 with mets to the liver and lungs and have been on Herceptin since. The tumors in my liver and lungs responded right away to the Herceptin (and navelbene at first) and I have been NED since. Have any of you gone on a drug holiday? How many of you are using the Bayer serum test? If you are, did you have a baseline done? How often are you being scanned. Thank you all for your comments. Love Kim from CT

Last edited by mamacze; 10-06-2008 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: typo
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
Vi Schorpp

Hi Kim

it's great to "see" you back! I've missed your posts, and it sounds like things are well. Andrea Barnett Budin comes to mind, you might want to research some of her latest posts...Andi will probably check in, so I'm sure I'm jumping the gun.
Her2++, ER & PR++
RB Mastectomy, 4 AC,
Vi Schorpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
pattyz

Kim,
At mets dx I went on Navelbine/Herceptin for several months. Follow-up scans showed NED in body. I was offered H alone and did that for ? maybe 2/3 mos.

Since my mets have been exlusively in my brain ever since then, I have not been on Herceptin by choice for the past near 6 yrs. I remain NED in body.

However, I have also been on Xeloda/ Temodar for 3 yrs for my brain mets. Don't know if that's made any difference to body, nor how to ever tell.

We added Tykerb last fall, but I had slight brain met progression until we upped my X/T chemo dosage/ went 7on/7off. "Stable" for now once again.

I decided to stop the Herceptin as it was not thought to cross the bbb and would not help the brain mets that were the priority issue.

pattyz
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
Sheila

Kim
Great to see your post....I am not NED, thus I continue on Herceptin with Taxol right now...seems every time I achieve stable or NED, I take a chemo holiday (never from Herceptin) and the big "C" rears its ugly head again.... so back on chemo with the Herceptin...this has been for the last 3 years....5 straight on Herceptin.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
Mary Jo

Hi Kim,

I can't help with your question but did want to say "hi" and to say that it's SO good to "see" you again.

So glad you continue to do well and know you will find the answers you are looking for here.

Love and Peace,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
Joe
Webmaster

Kim,

I amswered your PM. Feel free to call Christine anytime this afternoon...your time.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
Kim in CA

Hi Kim,

Great to hear from you! I have thought about going off Herceptin many times, but kind of hate to mess with the good thing I've got going! I am toying with the idea of taking a break when I reach the 5 yr mark of being NED. We will see how I feel about it then as that is still 2 years away.

Kim in Ca

PS. My onc will go along with pretty much whatever I decide at this point.

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
Sherryg683

I have been on Herceptin ever since my diagnosis almost 3 years ago. I guess I will be on it forever. My Oncologist has mentioned that it's not proven that it's beneficial this far out but seeing the women on this board that are stage IV and still NED, it seemed like they were all on Herceptin indefinately, so mines fine with doing it, if I am. I hope to one day be 10 years out and consider getting off it, right now I'm just not there yet..sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
Sherryg683

Oh yea, I now have scans every 6 months. I was doing this every 3 months the first 2 years. ..sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
mamacze

Smile A pattern seems to be developing...

To all my "sisters" - thank you for your feedback; and for those who have yet to log on, please keep it coming!

It seems like I see a pattern developing. It looks like we are staying on Herceptin for 9 - 10 years if our cardio can take it; then going off. Scans seem to settle at every 6 months. I also noted that in this small number of long term Herceptin users, at least 2 of us participated in the U of W vaccination trial. (Me and Kim from CA....anyone else?!)

And Lani, you are kind to attach articles, but darn it, I couldn't get them to open up. I will try on my own to search relevant articles.

Keep it coming angels! Stay well and strong!
Love Kim from CT
Old 10-06-2008, 09:15 PM   #11
StephN

Wink

Dear Kim -
Great to learn that you are still doing so well and here "taking advice." Way to go, Lady!

I still get my Herceptin each three weeks. I did take a short 3-month "Herceptin Holiday" beginning of 2007, but huge stresses came along that I had no control over and I did not like feeling that my body was to at its best as well as unprotected from a cancer flare-up. So cut it short at the 3 months.

Used the Bayer (now Siemens) HER2 serum test three times and had nearly the same result each time.
I asked to have it again recently and my onc replied that she did not feel it was necessary as my other markers are taken regularly and have not moved. She would order it if there was suspicion of progression, since I have a solid baseline.

Scans to check body are PET/CT every 6 months, only this next time I am just having a plain CT (my idea).

My MUGA did drop some this last time, but we feel it happened due to other causes than Herceptin. It will be checked at 6 months instead of a year.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:47 AM   #12
jhandley

Smile having a herceptin holiday

I suggested having a break to my onc. who was not particularly in favour of it due to no studies being done. I would like to have one if I continue NED for another year...but I would like to have the her 2 test to monitor..this is not available in Australia yet.
I am keen to hear of others responding to this thread!
Jackie
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #13
Marily

Hi,
I just wrote a note in the using Bayer her2 Alysa thread. when I started it was way at the beginning for its use my onc was always open to what I researched ... and I had no tumor markers at stage IV.
I just saw Dr Slamon and stopped using Herceptin about 8 weeks ago been on it for 7 1/2 years and started allgery reaction to it 1 year ago... I was also told I could stop Aromasin but I have not done this...
way too many changes too soon,..
(I also lost my onc who has been with me for 8 years so...now I wonder while Denny was so sure about stopping...and he looked So sure so truthful and smiling and made me feel so good about it....
Well I am now one of the group who did!!
we pray for the best and live to the fullest...
Hugs Marily
Marily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #14
rcj11

StephN
Kathleen did have screenings before discontinuing Herceptin, complete except no CTC test. I wasn't aware of that test at the time & her oncologist didn't use the test until I insisted on it last month.
rcj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #15
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile Ever Vigilant

I too wanted to add -- in June 2008 I had my every 6 mnth CT scans (chest/abd/pelv). STABLE.

I also had my annual mammography and sonogram. And my complete blood work, with tumor markers. Had blood work in September. All NORMAL.

At the end of July I stopped Herceptin. It has a long shelf life my onc says. Stays in the system for quite a while.

Am due for next blood work in November (usually ev 3 mnths). Due for next 6 mnth CT scans in December.

Due for full blood work in November.
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #16
mamacze

Rcj11 - I am heartsick that your wife recurred so quickly after going off; and you are right to advise caution. Thank you so much for weighing in. What is her CTC test result? Would you advise CTC screening, now after what you have experienced?
Marily and Andi, you are both so inspirational. Thank you for sharing your stories. marily, I wonder if Dr. Slamon has criteria for how long we need to be NED on Herceptin before he recommends we go off - do you know?
Thank you all again for your kind comments.
Love Kim from CT

ps Becky - a big hug back at you...I miss your company - and if i could just clone your fine thinking mind...!! i hear from Vicki occasionally as well; she is good at staying in touch!

Last edited by mamacze; 10-10-2008 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: need a PS !
Old 10-15-2008, 06:47 AM   #17
kk1

Hi Kim;

It's is so great to hear from you and that you are doing well. I just got back from a great trip to Tuscany and read you pm. This is a great thread you started and I'd like to add a few thoughts.

Steph's comment that you need a complete re-staging prior to ceasing Herceptin is right on target. A few years ago my Onc started the discussion that we should start thinking about maybe stopping H since I had been NED for several years. We started by being flexible on when I came for treatment. Basically come in every three weeks unless I had a conflict with travel or work. Often I was only coming in every 5-6 weeks, we kept scaning every 6 months and doing the CTC's every 6-8 weeks. All seemed to be going well after another year so we decided to stop the H completely--but before doing so he wanted to do a complete restaging will all the various scans, CT/PET top to bottom, brain MRI, bone scan, heart ect. Several of my other doc's thought all this testing was over kill but he said for both of our peace of mind he wanted to make sure we looked under all the rocks. Indeed even though both my CTC's and serum were low they found a small regrowth of what we believe was the original lesion in my liver so I never went off. I think it must have been growing very slowly and finally got large enough to just barely show up on the PET/CT scans. I got back to NED again with a liver resection and continued H and and AI only. The decision to not do any "nasty" chemo for this second reoccurence was based on the fact that the CTC's we low so we hoped that it was still localized. This NED lasted for another couple of years when the darn thing grew again in my liver with low CTC and serum. We added Tykerb/Xeloda to the H and I quickly regained NED. I doubt I will ever stop H, while I do get reoccurences I think the H is slowing it down and 6 months scan lets us know when/if we need to take out a bat and slap it down, while the CTC's tells us how hard we need to swing and how big of a bat. Kind of like a whack mole game.

With the current state of knowledge I don't think anyone can say with any certainly if you should or shouldn't go off. But for me my gut feeling from reading this board and my own experience is I would need 8-10 years of continous NED before I would consider stoping.

take care enjoy the fall leaves
Sept 2004 NED-3 herceptin, zoladex,aromasin
Dec 2006 recurrence in liver
Feb. 2007 liver resection left lobe removed-herceptin, zoladex, switch to Arimidex
NED 16 months added zometa
May 2008 new lesion in liver 15mm Tykerb/Xeloda/Herceptin
July 2008 stable...yeah!
Sept 2008 NED again !!!
Jan 2009 fell off the wagon again spot back in the liver and fell out of menopause.
Feb 2009 RFA and 2nd liver resection to remove spot ---back on the NED wagon again continue Tykerb, Herceptin.
March 2009- oophrectomy added Femara and bi-annual Zometa
May 2009- scans clear but suspect lung nodule
June 2009- Lung VAT wedge resection to remove nodule---fungus ball not cancer!! phew
Aug 2009- NED
Nov 2009-scans again clear YAHOO!
March 2010- scans clear continue Tykerb, Herceptin, Femara, Zometa Q6mo
Nov 2009-Nov 2019 scans clear done every 6 months

Feb 2020 - Fell out of the NED wagon hard! single liver lesions and large infect cyst. 3 weeks in ICU.
March 2021- 5 cycles perjeta, herceptin, navelbine. lesion stable.
June 2021 - 3rd liver resection to remove single liver lesion. Continued perjeta, herceptin.
Nov. 2021- PET scan show 5 hot nodes near liver. 9 cycles Kadcyla
June 2021- PET scan shows progression. nodes size unchanged but even more SUV uptake.

July 2021- start ENHERTU
kk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #18
rcj11

From RCJ11,

The CTC test was taken 1 week after she began weekly Herceptin & Abraxane infusions. The test showed NO ctc's. She will be given another test 4 weeks after beginning treatment & I will report results.

Can anyone explain this CTC test result so quickly after beginning new treatment when PET scan 1 week earlier showed significant progression? Is the test unreliable or unable to pick-up certain kinds of circulating cells? Please reply with any experiences having similar results or possible explanations.

Thanks
rcj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #19
Jackie07

Found this off the <Georgetownuniversity.org> website:

September 11, 2008

Test Can Help Patient Determine Treatment Changes Earlier

A simple blood test could tell women with advanced breast cancer whether or not their treatments are working earlier than current methods. With the goal of tailoring cancer treatment for each individual, Minetta Liu, MD, researcher at Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center and breast oncologist at Georgetown University Hospital, is studying this test with the hope that it will help doctors more reliably assess treatment efficacy for patients with metastatic breast cancer.

“It can take several weeks and sometimes months to determine if a particular cancer treatment is working because it can take that long to observe any significant radiographic changes in tumor size or appearance,” said Dr. Liu. “With this new blood test, we have a tool that might allow us to determine much sooner if a therapy is ineffective so that we can change therapy earlier and potentially make more significant improvements in survival.”

One of Dr. Liu’s patients, fifty-year-old Anne Crupi of Maryland, was diagnosed with stage-four breast cancer in October 2005. Anne received chemotherapy and radiation and then underwent various scans to determine if her treatments were working. In addition, as a part of Dr. Liu’s study, Anne has a tube of blood drawn every month to see if there are cancer cells circulating in her blood stream. “I just think that if I can learn earlier that my chemo isn’t working, if it stops working, then I can switch treatments without having to wait too long. I thought if it would help me or someone else, I would be happy to do it. ”

Using the FDA-approved CellSearch™ technology, Dr. Liu and colleagues at Georgetown University Hospital measured the number of circulating tumor cells (CTC) in blood collected from women with metastatic breast cancer. The number of CTCs was correlated with disease response or progression as determined by standard radiology studies.

Based on previous research, a CTC count of five was used as the threshold. Dr. Liu and her colleagues observed a big difference between patients with CTC levels of 5 and above compared to those below 5. Seventy-one percent of patients who had a CTC count greater than or equal to five had disease progression, compared to only 32 percent of patients with a CTC count of less than five.

“A CTC count of five or greater at the time of restaging was associated with a 5.2 fold increase in a patient’s chance of having disease progression compared to CTC counts of less than five,” explained Dr. Liu.

“So far the good news is that my number has always been zero or one,” said Anne Crupi. “And it’s so easy. All they do is take a small tube of blood.”

Additional data suggest that the CTC assay is a more reliable means of assessing treatment response than other traditional serum based tumor markers currently in use. Currently, Dr. Liu serves at the national principal investigator of a clinical study that will evaluate the CTC results within the framework of a randomized clinical trial – eliminating possible variability caused by treatments administered.

“We have many treatment options for advanced breast cancer. The key is to find the most effective therapy for each patient. It shouldn’t take months to figure that out,” Dr. Liu concluded.

Media Contact: Marianne Worley
202-444-4659
mw32@georgetown.edu
Patient Contact: 202-342-2400

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 10-16-2008 at 05:33 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #20
Val Pfeiffer

hi Kim--
It was great to see your post, and I'm glad you're well. As you know I was stage 3B, not stage 4, but I stayed on Herceptin alone for about 16-18 months after my initial treatments, and then chose to have quarterly Herceptin thereafter. I continued that until June, which was about another 2 years. I decided to quit that because I was afraid I might stop responding to Herceptin, and if I progress to Stage 4 I will need it again in the future. Different situation, but I wanted to share, and it was an excuse to say hello!

It stinks that I haven't had time to keep up with reading many posts on this site, but I can barely keep up at work and with school, so I don't have much time!

Take care!!
Val
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote