HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
evlin75

Anything new that targets Her2 neu?

Daughter has had kadcyla and prior perjeta but her markers are climbing again. Any new ideas? Thanks for any ideas. Her leptomeningeal is stable but clavicle lymph node swollen and shoulder pain.

Ev
evlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
'lizbeth

Re: Anything new that targets Her2 neu?

I've been searching around for unicorns. I have seen new treatments in Phase I & Phase II trials that are for Her2 positive breast cancer. I've seen some that are for brain mets, I would guess that includes leptomeningeal.

You might want to check in either the clinical trial forum or articles of interest.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
evlin75

Thanks 'Lizbeth, but I am hesitant at her late stage to recommend most clinical trials. So much in them unproven and possibly toxic. She has done several trials. One was a vaccine trial that seemed to be positive - that was early in her disease discovery. The latest was the IT Herceptin trial which gave her too low a dose without gradual increase to an effective dose, so she stepped out of it. She went to a neurologist oncologist who upped the dose with added chemo.
Right now the leptomeningeal seems stable but other body effects of the mets seem to be elevating tumor markers. She gets a PET Monday so we may know more then.
She has been weakened by treatments and the prior year very sick. Hoping not to go down the road again to anything that will make her so sick....but might smack down the problems a bit.
Again -thanks for your kind reply.

Ev
Old 11-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
'lizbeth

I suppose the best option would be a combination of targeted therapies. Has she tried dual Herceptin & Perjeta?

Is she ER positive?
Old 11-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
evlin75

Hi again,
I do not believe she has much estrogen reaction- not enough to do therapy for it. Highly her2 positive though. She has had perjeta with progression and Herceptin with progression. Then kadcyla being given now and possible progression. Shoulder pain from bone mets and an enlarged lymph node that radiation did not take down - with the markers rising. Her markers have been accurate in forecasting problems.
She has had a couple oral chemotherapy drugs with progression. She has not had a Taxol and may have to go there if we find nothing else available and the PET is not good. But no hair and sick again with that routine.

Thanks!

Ev
Old 11-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
KDR

Taxol is a tried and true drug. I disliked it much, but had great success with it on the general whole. The side effects were grueling, but it knocked out all tumors permanently except a few on my liver, in which the tumors seem to find sanctuary. Went through ablation surgery and hope that it has also been a permanent solution, or permanent as permanent goes in our lives.

Best of luck,
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
evlin75

Thanks Karen,
Your story is hopeful. Hopefully we can get something to work that she can handle. She was hospitalized several times last year because of the chemo used for the leptomeningeal problem. (Vomiting and then mobility restrictions/falling)
She is reluctant to do a taxol as her quality of life is just returning a bit, but she is running out of options. She had done Xeloda, Tykerb, and a few other things that did not seem to keep her stable very long.
I appreciate your input.

Ev
Old 11-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
KDR

Maybe Rolepaul could chime in? I don't have any experience to date with lepto mets. But I know he is ready and willing to help all of us with his incredible knowledge and expertise.
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
sarah

Hello,
I also did Taxol but I had it once a week instead of every 3 weeks and I believe this is more tolerable. There is a lot of fatigue but I had no nausea.
What about Avastin. This has been re-introduced because it does seem to work for our type of bc.
Have they tried TDM1 - now called Kadcyla. This has been considered a miracle drug for us the way Herceptin was. I believe it's a sort of super Herceptin that works better and is for people for whom Herceptin stopped working.
Maybe start a new thread asking what to suggest when Herceptin stops working.
ps not that this is a cure but it can help: take tumeric aka curcurmin and vitamin D - check them our but seems to have good influences but we're all different.
Also you didn't mention why the herceptin stopped working - was it progression or heart problems?
Don't forget to take care of yourself also.
hugs
sarah
Old 11-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
evlin75

Rolepaul has helped prior but this may be systemic instead of the leptomeningeal that appears stable. She has tried Avastin and also navelbine. No heart problems from the Herceptin at all. As you will note from my prior post she has had perjeta and kadcyla....but is still having problems. Thanks everyone! I appreciate all input.
PET today. Should have more information soon.
This is her tenth year post diagnoses in 2003 so she has tried a lot of medications.
Ev
Old 11-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
'lizbeth

Evlin,

I understand that you are reluctant about clinical trials but it is likely to be the best option at this point. All cancer treatment drugs have toxicities, some worse than others. The ones in studies are no more toxic then Taxol, or TDM1 or Adriamycin that are approved and being used currently.

On the other hand - Targeted treatments such as Herceptin and Perjeta can be effective without the harshest of side effects.

Did you daughter take Herceptin and Perjeta at the same time? Targeted therapies are more likely to be effective when combined.

Had the tumors been genetically tested for other pathways? Perhaps targets outside of the Her2 receptor could be effective as well.

If the node at the clavicle could be removed and sent to Rational Therapeutics for functional profiling they could test with cell death end points to see which treatments would be most effective. I'd talk at least contact them and consider it as an option since your daughter has difficulty tolerating chemo treatments.

I'm sorry that you are back in the search for the next option. How did the PET scan go? And what are the doctors advising? Any word yet?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
sarah

Hello Evlin,
Hope the Pet leads to good solution for her.
You must be so worried but there are so many good drugs out there, just need to find the one or combo that works for her.
big hug
sarah
Old 11-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
CoolBreeze

Has she tried lapatinib yet? (Tykerb). My understanding is it crosses the blood/brain barrier but my knowledge-base on the drug is pretty weak. You might look into it if you haven't already and see if it's appropriate.

Oh wait, I see she has.

Well, maybe that with another HER2 drug might help? I progressed on Herceptin but adding in Perjeta helped. Maybe you can ask your doctor, I'm sorry.

Also, you might check for a phase III trial. No danger there or any untested side effects - it's Stage I and II that you want to worry about. III they usually know. But they often don't test drugs on heavily pre-treated patients - you haven't listed your daughters treatments so it's hard to know.

I'm terribly sorry, I wish you luck. I'd rather it be me than one of my children so my heart goes out to you.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
evlin75

The PET was good news overall! The activity all seems to be in the right shoulder and the clavicle area where the node is swollen. Now- how to deal with it. The Kadcyla is causing elevated liver enzymes and low platelets. The onc is considering taking her off it. She has had the shoulder and then the lymph node radiated at different times without success in eliminating the problems.
She has not received a probable plan from her regular oncologist team yet. Her neuro-oncologist where she gets the IT treatment gave her the results today. They send the results to both offices.
Maybe do a biopsy of the node to find what will address it? I am greatly relieved that it is localized but it needs attention.
Thanks to those here with ideas.
Ev
Old 11-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
phil

sounds like your dau has tried a lot. addition of a taxane or herc/ tykerb might be an option. i'm surprised she didnt get taxotere w/ herc/perjeta. taxanes are tough , but so is xeloda, navelbine for some, adria , etc. some docs might give a taxane at a lower dose or give a week off schedule. it may not be needed for too long . my wife went back to adria , so nasty, to bridge the wait for tdm-1. which has been her miracle .
i heard about a promising early stage trial for her2 at farber. using t dm-1 technology to attach several HER antibodies to a dose of doxil. targeted chemo so hopefully fewer s/e. definitely interesting for those who progress on t dm-1 or perjeta. maybe that trial is at other research hospitals .
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
phil

folow up - a taxane may give some that extra killing power that for some, genetic drugs like herc/ perj . don't have . they shut off overexpression of mutant genes , but then chemo may be needed to kill the cells off for good. plus if theres another unknown pathway for progr., the chemo kills .
Old 11-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
evlin75

Thanks,Phil, She managed without Taxane for a long time. Because of extenuating circumstance got into the later treatments without having to do it. She did do Adriamycin in 2003.
The new trial is for those newly diagnosed but very interesting and I will certainly explore that avenue to see if she might be able to qualify. I appreciate the info.
Ev
Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
evlin75

Any information on infrared heat therapy or cryoblation for small stubborn tumor areas in breast cancer? I know it is being used in some other cancers.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #19
waterdreamer

Hi Phil,

Please could you post the trial number for the taxol combined with herceptin. I had a lot of success with taxotere, it knocked the cancer out after the second round of chemo. All lung and bone metastasis cleared up.
I think that would be a great combo, in fact I had asked my doctor, why they weren't doing that a while back...

Thanks again for all you do.
Fern
Nov 2009 Mets to lungs and bones.
Dec 2009 Start Taxotere and Herceptin, T1, T3 heal completely and lungs are clear, T2 and first rib have lytic lesions. First rib becomes sclerotic. Considered stable.
May 2011, Onc calls progression and I cross over from comparison arm of clinical trial to TDM-1
Brain scan in Sept 2011 showed small tumor in right cerebellum, did Novalis radiation.

Feb 2013 < 1cm tumor in left frontal lobe. Did Novalis in March and latest scan shows no sign of brain metastasis.
Aug 2013 did 36th round of TDM-1 Due to TDM-1 side effects, shortness of breath, and difficulty getting my balance when getting out of bed, agreed with my oncologist to stop TDM-1.
Took a six week break, bone scan showed small uptake on left first rib. CT showed hypodensities in liver (too small to biopsy) and small nodule in lungs (mediastinal).
Started Navelbine weekly. Did one round with Herceptin.
Skipped next 2 rounds, due to neutropenia. Next chemo 7th Nov - have had 3 Neupogen shots, so WBC should look better... Did not tolerate Navelbine well.
December 2013 scans show no sign of active cancer.
March 2014 - currently only on Herceptin - brain MRI clear, PET/CT two nodules in right lung show uptake
May 2014 - stop Herceptin.
Sept 22, 2014 Brain MRI clear :) PET/CT Progression in lungs.
Sept 2014, Xeloda, Tykerb and Herceptin.
Nov 2014 - Decide to take a break from all treatment.
May 2015 - Brain met radiated with Novalis
July 2015 - Have progression in right lung.
Sept 2015 - Perjeta and Herceptin alone after a 9 month break from all treatment.
Nov 2015 - Thoracentesis 1500ml removed from right lung.
Dec 2015 - Two tiny 1mm brain mets radiated in right cerebellum.
Feb 2016 - Thoracentesis 2200ml drained from right lung
Feb 2016 - Stopped Perjeta and Herceptin and started back on Kadcyla as I had no previous progression on it. After 1 cycle of Kadcyla markers begin to drop. On second cycle add Keytruda.
March 2016 - Thoracentesis 1650ml drained from right lung.
April 2016 – Thoracentesis 1500 ml drained from right lung.
June 2016 – CT scan shows progression in right lung, as well as moderate pleural effusion requiring Thoracentesis.
June 2016 – Decide to stop Keytruda, and will do chemosensitivity test through Rational Therapeutics. Plan to continue on Kadcyla for next two cycles.
July 2016 - Start weekly Abraxane with Herceptin. WBRT with hippocampal sparing, Taking Namenda. 15 sessions over 3 weeks.
Aug - Dec 2016 - 2 infusions of Navelbine, very hard on my body and still dealing with anasarca (generalized edema) 1 infusion of Havalen
My doctor wants to put me on hospice.
Dec 23rd 2016 - I am granted compassionate use of Neratanib.
May 31st 2017 - still on Neratinib, feeling good.
waterdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
phil

herc/perj/taxotere is not a trial now, that was the trial that led to appr. for first -line tx. but makes sense to me to add tax. for a while to herc/perj. adds punch. a doc can do it "off label ', if ins will pay. if someone gets good response they could scale back tax. or d/c it. some pts like Darlene Gant get great response from just herc/ perj . but we dont know yet by tumor analysis which apparent subtype of her2 gets what response. so go more aggressive w/ a tax. if someone progresses on perj w/o a taxane or progr. on t dm-1 , i would look at adding tax. to herc/perj or using herc/tyk., if someone has hx of brain mets. or this farber trial that shuts off several pathways while delivering a doxil dose directly to mutated cells, as t dm-1 does . but tdm-1 only has HER2 pathway blocked. i want a system where stage ivs can try these combos of appr . drugs , like t dm-1 w/ tykerb. or having more flexible entry regs in phase III trials for drugs like the new t dm-1 style drug at farber , w/ Dr. Krop, described above . or this new er+ drug, pd03391 , that has shown great promise at phase II . phase II already involves yrs of safety , and dosing testing. from the Sacrifices in phase I of .... Stage IVs !!