HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #1
Lani

I wanted to post a talk from ASCO that I call the "kitchen sink" trial (Phase I only,

so far)

I call it that because they gave patients everything but the kitchen sink, ignoring the costs.

THE REAL TITLE (abstract 2512) was
A Phase I study of bevacizumab in combination with sunitinib, sorafenib, and erlotinib plus cetuximqab,and trastuzumab plus lapatinib.

It is a misleading title as there were four arms and no one got all the agents

As I recall patients had all sorts of cancers and had had multiple multiple prior treatments for it.

There were 4 arms--
1. Avastin + herceptin + lapatinib
2. avastin+sunitinib (had to be stopped because as they raised the dosage patients got hemolytic anemia)
3.avastin+sorafinib-- more toxicity than arms 1 and 4, but doable
4. avastom+erlotinib+cetuximab(13% got grade 3 side effects but 25% of patients with nonsmall cell lung cancer developed stable disease)

If I got it right, 3 of 58 patients in arm one got diarrhea, some got mild high blood pressure

When they reviewed only those patients who had her2+ breast cancer(16 patients)

9 had stable disease for over 4 months
1 had a complete response
4 had partial responses

So overall, 56% had stable disease for four or more months OR BETTER

The author(s) said they will be doing further studies centered on her2+ breast cancer

Remember these studies were done on Stage IV patients that had had so many many other previous treatments including herceptin and lapatinib before

These studies are obviously very expensive so we are glad when their results are so positive that it gives them ammunition to continue them farther

Interestingly, the authors said 70% of their patients with pancreatic cancer were her2+ so they are looking into giving herceptin to those with pancreatic cancer (I believe they are already doing this with some patients with gastric cancers)

More to come!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
schoolteacher

Re: I wanted to post a talk from ASCO that I call the "kitchen sink" trial (Phase I o

Lani,

Thanks for the article. I think if I had pancreatic cancer, I would be asking to be tested for her2.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Rich66

Re: I wanted to post a talk from ASCO that I call the "kitchen sink" trial (Phase I o

Prostate cancer has been found to have her2 receptors. Existing Her2 therapies haven't been working as well as in BC. but maybe tweaking, combinations or next gen therapies will.

It will be interesting when the first non BC her2 patient starts poking around on this site. Maybe they already are.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Rich66

And...maybe this is the first:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45835

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote