HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Chelee

I'm so tired of this! (Venting again!)

I have no one else to complain to that would understand...so unfortunetly I will do my whining here. (Maybe I could have a little cheese with my wine.)

I am regretting every having had this surgery to my femur! All it did is cause almost a 3 month delay in starting my chemo. It's caused me unbearable PAIN! Since starting the Navelbine it's been very tolerable which means I COULD of been enjoying myself all this time. But due to the hip surgery I can't do anything! I'm just stuck in the house attached to this darned walker & I hate it! It doesn't seem like its getting any better.

The Ortho surgeon never once implied I wouldn't be walking on my own LONG before now. This is really ticking me off if you can't tell. Time is going by while I just SIT here every day. I can't walk my dogs, exercise, grocery shop, run needed errands...nothing! Heck, I can't even do much needed house work. The house is a pig sty and I'm just fed up with this entire ordeal. Time as you all know once dx with bc is valuable. When I think of all I could of been doing all this time I really get angry!
My onc and Dr. Slamon's NP both said before I had this done that they did NOT see anything on my x-rays or scans to make them think my femur would break. I'm starting to wonder if this surgery was really that necessary at the time?!

The pain I had in my right hip prior to the surgery wasn't that bad. Easy to live with. Now that pain is off the charts...it's killing me and it is 40 days post-op today. Shouldn't it be getting better by now! I take eight Norco a day for pain...along with Hydromorphone 4 mg every 4 hrs. On top of Ibprofin throughout the day. My hip is killing me, and right above my knee where he put in screws or whatever hurts like heck!

The ortho sure didn't tell me much before the surgery. He made it sound like I'd have a few days of pain after surgery and that would be it. The way he presented things to me I assumed I'd be walking on my own about 14 days after surgery. (But not even close!) I can just now take baby steps without my walker or cane but it's so painful I don't even try. Maybe when I started the Navelbine 14 days post-op that affected the healing of my hip which is why I still have so much pain? I have noticed since the chemo the hole that had the JP drain is still barely healed up since the Navy beans screwed up my counts. It's just a big scab...and after 40 days it should of been gone. I just still wished I'd done a few months of chemo FIRST...then had this surgery if it was even that necessary. I am just so down and depressed...this is going on forever. I'm so tired of just sitting here every day waiting to go have chemo every Monday. Life is just passing me by.

Sorry for the venting...but I can't even tell you how ticked off I am about this whole situation. They said repairing the femur BEFORE it fractured would be so much better...I'm really starting to question that. Easy for them to say since their life goes on and I sit locked up in the house. (Ok...I'm done whining & complaining for the moment.)

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.

Last edited by Chelee; 12-27-2009 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: Spelling error...
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Jackie07

Re: I'm so tired of this! (Venting again!)

That's a good whining exercise, Chelee. You have stated the facts as well as your state of mind. You are considerate to other people - 'Sorry for the venting'. Excellent piece - only a veteran warrior could have done it!

Take care and know that we heard you and will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

ps. Please be patient with your hip. I know how hard it is. My Father-in-law was very impatient and 'prescribed' exercise himself after his hip replacement surgery. Being an ex-coach who had seen and helped many of his young students with fractures and cuts, he figured he knows everything the doctors know about. But he was over 75 at his first hip surgery - a totally different situation from injured young high school athletes. He ended up having a second fracture and had to get it repaired again.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 01-02-2010 at 06:55 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Yorkiegirl

Chelee there is one thing I don't understand,most people that I know that have had the kind of surgery you had, have gone thru
Physical Therpy and this help's a whole lot with the pain and being able to walk again.
Is there a reason this hasn't been ordered for you? I would certainly ask about this. I'm sorry you are having so many problems.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
BonnieR

Chelee, I hear your frustration! I wonder if some vicious circle is going on too....where you need the pain meds but at the same time they may be causing depression and contributing to your down mood. Maybe interacting with other drugs. Is there someone with whom you can review your meds? And has been mentioned earlier by Yorkiegirl, should not more PT be offered?
Lastly, try not to second guess your decisions. I know that's hard. I am big on "shoulda, coulda, woulda" but it is seldom productive for me. Just take it from here, a day at a time. And keep the faith. I know that's hard too.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
Lien

Hi Chelee,

I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. It seems that either the doctor hasn't told you exactly what to expect, or he has been as surprised by your lack of progress as you are. Anyway, he should be discussing your options and helping you make a plan for further treatment.

If your ortho surgeon isn't helping here could your GP help out?

It's no using thinking that you might have been better off if you'd done chemo first. Perhaps neo-adjuvant chemo would have caused the healing to slow down even more. Or perhaps you would have fractured that femur, making it even harder to fix it. I think a substantial part of your hip/femur was affected by mets, so the healing process could well be affected by that. You made a choice based on the facts you had at the time and I think I would have come to the same decision you did.

Unfortunately it's not working out the way we wanted it to. That can't be helped. But we can look forward. You did get the leg fixed, you are getting chemo and Herceptin, you are fighting your mets.

Pain makes us desperate for relief. We would do anything to be rid of it. We want to move away from it. But second guessing yourself is not going to make the pain go away. Taking good care of yourself, trying to stay calm, and deciding to look forward are the only things you can do about it. If you are upset, pain becomes worse, so please try to do something to relax a little. If venting helps, please go ahead and vent. We are here for you.

Perhaps PT could help you cope better? Could you get some help with your errands and housework? These are questions you could try to concentrate on.

I hope you find some relief soon! Sending waves of healing energy and love,

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Lien

Hi Chelee,

I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. It seems that either the doctor hasn't told you exactly what to expect, or he has been as surprised by your lack of progress as you are. Anyway, he should be discussing your options and helping you make a plan for further treatment.

If your ortho surgeon isn't helping here could your GP help out?

It's no using thinking that you might have been better off if you'd done chemo first. Perhaps neo-adjuvant chemo would have caused the healing to slow down even more. Or perhaps you would have fractured that femur, making it even harder to fix it. I think a substantial part of your hip/femur was affected by mets, so the healing process could well be affected by that. You made a choice based on the facts you had at the time and I think I would have come to the same decision you did.

Unfortunately it's not working out the way we wanted it to. That can't be helped. But we can look forward. You did get the leg fixed, you are getting chemo and Herceptin, you are fighting your mets.

Pain makes us desperate for relief. We would do anything to be rid of it. We want to move away from it. But second guessing yourself is not going to make the pain go away. Taking good care of yourself, trying to stay calm, and deciding to look forward are the only things you can do about it. If you are upset, pain becomes worse, so please try to do something to relax a little. If venting helps, please go ahead and vent. We are here for you.

Perhaps PT could help you cope better? Could you get some help with your errands and housework? These are questions you could try to concentrate on.

I hope you find some relief soon! Sending waves of healing energy and love,

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
vlcarr

Dear Chelee,

I think everyone has offered good advice. I just wanted you to know that when I had my motorcycle accident in 2003 I crushed all the bones beneath my knee and split my tibia down the middle. It was a non weight bearing injury and I could not put weight on that leg for 3 months. On top of that I separated my shoulder so I could not use a walker.

Looking back at this since I've had BC has made me realize how depressed I was. It was just so hard depending on other people for everything and I was basically confined to a lift chair with a port a potty next to it. I have 8 screws in my knee and a rod down my leg.

I've often thought of those on the board who have to deal with issues like you AND BC--no wonder you are whining and down in the dumps. You are entitled to have a pity party.

I do agree about the PT. I started that way before I could put weight on that leg and am also wondering why your Dr. has not ordered that for you. Yes, it's hard to physically get there but it seems it would help you a great deal.

Keep the faith--these type of surgeries take time--it took me a year to do steps like a normal person because my knee will never have the range of motion it used to.

I'm so sorry you are having this issue along with everything else.

Sending you a big hug.
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Rich66

Hard to predict how any person will heal from a break and surgery. I was down for 6 weeks with a broken ankle/surgery. Major swelling. Because of the blood rush/gravity, it hurt like hell to lower my foot from the bed to the floor.
Are you having a lot of swelling? Bags of frozen peas placed around my ankle did wonders for pain and swelling. PT sounds like a good idea...when you are ready. My surgeon thought I should rehab myself but I asked for a professional to help. I was afraid I'd push too much or do something wrong. When I went to PT, the therapist just laughed and said something like surgeons feel it's all over if the X-Ray looks good. So..you might yet again advocate a bit for some help. On the other hand, my 74 y/o dad had a partial hip replacement and hardly noticed it. Damn him

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
chrisy

chelee,
sorry you are having to deal with this pain. Then again, the whole thing is a big pain and you've gotten through it so far. Only you would think to say "I could have been sitting back enjoying myself on the Navelbine". Deep down there has to be a smile there somewhere.

You will get through this...I can tell you are frustrated and angry. You can't really go back, only forward. So channel all that energy into getting back on your feet - one step at a time - and let the navybeans do their job on the cancer.

Hang in there my dear!
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
PinkGirl

Thumbs up Re: I'm so tired of this! (Venting again!)

Hey CheleeGirl

That was an excellent whine/vent ... good job. I hope it felt good to get
all of that crap off your chest ... that's what we're here for.

Why don't you take a few days to be pi$$ed off at the world and
then, as wise ChrisyGirl suggested, move forward. You can't undo
the surgery ... there's nothing you can do about the past ... you know
that old saying about arguing with reality ... reality always wins.

You have been through so much and have been so strong and determined.
I know you will find a way to get through this phase too .... I know you can
do it!!!

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
ElaineM

Wink Re: I'm so tired of this! (Venting again!)

It is okay to vent. I vote for physical therapy. The orthopedic surgeon might be the first doctor to ask. I am surprised the orthopedic surgeon didn't suggest it.
If your doctors don't suggest it ask for it. It might help you get back on your feet faster.
I had all kinds of physical therapy after my hip surgery. I had physical therapy several times a week and my usual weekly chemo at the same time. Water therapy was the best, but I also had various other kinds of physical therapy.
Good luck. Hang in there !!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:43 AM   #12
harrie

Chelee, just want you to know your venting was heard by me too. Take care. Hope things start to turn around for you.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:29 AM   #13
Chelee

For those of you that brought up the lack of physical therapy...I have no idea why I wasn't given any during my 5 day hospital stay, let alone now that I'm home? I'm very motivated to get off this walker & cane so I have been up moving it as much as physically possible. This house is 3000 sq feet so just going back and forth thru here has been a workout. Plus we have steps in & out of several rooms....so I have to use those all day too. Then I've been to all my chemo appts, scans, labs and you name it using my walker. So I've been giving my leg a workout...it should be better then it is. The worse thing is driving...since it's my right hip it hurts so bad when I have to move my foot to the brake & gas pedal. Damn it hurts.

I have a follow-up appt. with Orthopedic surgeon on 1-12-10. I am going to certainly let him know how disappointed and upset I am about not being able to walk on my own this far out from surgery! I can take a few baby steps by myself but that's it.

Jacqueline you hit the nail on the head. The ortho really did not tell me what to expect. He actually said very little. It was like pulling teeth to get the information I needed from him. He probably didn't want to tell me how long the recovery was because he knows I would of never done the surgery. (At least not at that time.)

Chrisy I started laughing when you repeated back what I said about enjoying myself on the Navelbine. lmao I have to admit...that is pretty funny! This navelbine so far has been so easy compared to the TCH. My 3 month scan is due is January and I know my chemo combo could change...that's why this time was so important to me. I'll call the ortho surgeon tomorrow and see if this recovery time is normal...if it's not I plan on wacking him up side the head with my walker when I see him. (Just a thought.) I'm just saying...

Chelee
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #14
Rich66

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:04 AM   #15
Chelee

Rich, rotflmao...now were talking. Toot toot!

Chelee
Old 12-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #16
Margerie

honk, honk! I don't want to raise your bp Chelee, but this doesn't sound kosher.

I have had family members get hip and/or knee replacements over the past several years. They were not due to bone mets, but they ALWAYS got PT as soon as possible, usually the day after surgery in the hospital. They really did not give you supervised instructions/exercises? No PT at all? I am curious to know if his non-HMO patients are denied PT. Is this the standard of care????? You should find out because it does not sound right. The first articles I found when I consulted Dr. Google (hip replacement surgery):

http://www.mghp.com/services/procedu...lacement.shtml

http://www.everydayhealth.com/hip-pa...l-therapy.aspx

http://www.georgetownuniversityhospi....cfm?id=555811

http://www.aapmr.org/condtreat/rehab/hip.htm

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00377

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00303

as a side note I tried to google "hip replacement surgery and no physical therapy" and the result was Did you mean: hip replacement surgery and physical therapy

LOL

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #17
Chelee

Margerie, Earlier today I read your post to me and what perfect timing. I was just going to call my Orthopedic surgeon's office to request more pain pills. So I decided it was also a good time to ask my ortho's nurse WHY I didn't get any PT this entire time?! When I was in the hospital I asked a number of times why I wasn't getting physical therapy? Never got a straight answer? Other then the fact I was at City of Hope and I had a "case manager" from my cancer center handling things putting thru all the authorizations. I kept asking my Ortho and his nurse if my case manager was "denying/blocking" my physical therapy? The ortho's nurse would just tell me that the doctor writes the orders and they are suppose to follow them. I told her at that time they aren't doing anything for me.

I am so angry about how slow this recovery is going and I can't help but think if I'd had PT I might of been off this walker long ago. So your post did help to get my BP up. LOL I read your links along with a bunch I dug up for every type of femur surgery I could find. So after all the reading I called my Ortho's nurse & let her know how upset I am that I'm not further along in my recovery then what I am. She says well I have to remember that the doctor had me using a walker and wheelchair for two weeks BEFORE my surgery so that made my muscles even weaker then they would have been before the surgery. (She gave me extra ammo with that comment!) So I said ISN'T that more reason I should of had some physical therapy? She tried to get off that topic and I pushed the issue and told her I REALLY need to know why I did not have any PT? I told her I need to know if my "case manager" down here blocked my PT or what? I even asked if I could have a copy of the Ortho's orders? I did not let her off the hook and she is going to call me tomorrow to let me know from her end why I didn't get any PT. I told her if it's my case manager I NEED to know because I'm really upset. None of this is normal...not only did I not get physical therapy, I did not get occupational therapy or respiratory therapy which I was suppose to get. I think my case manager is behind all this. She made a comment to me one time that some of her patients think they are there to DENY/BLOCK medical care to keep down costs. (I'm starting to believe that's exactly what she has been doing!)

So I will have a answer tomorrow...she knows how upset I am. I'm glad I read your post before I called. I'd hate to blame the case manager if I found out it was really my Orthopedic that didn't order all of this. But I would find that hard to believe since he told me in the recovery room I would be UP first thing in the morning walking. HA! Never happened.

Chelee
Old 12-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #18
StephN

Chelee -
What puzzles me is that every time I have been discharged after a hospital stay no matter FOR WHAT, I have been given some forms and a nurse AND/OR therapists have come in to go over my discharge instructions.
Meaning everything from wound care to lifting, meds schedule, and more. Often those instructions included an exercise routine.

Did you NOT get anything like that? Or did it just not include any kind of physical therapy?

I think you just need to demand orders from the doctor for physical therapy.

About the HEALING. Are you taking supplements or eating a diet that is higher in healing properties?? You could put this question to our Nutritional Nurse in that part of this web site. Certainly she will have some advice that should help.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #19
Chelee

Hi Steph, I did have a discharge nurse come in to see me before I left. She gave me two discharge forms with lots of boxes checked off. Like I can life up to 5 lbs...resume activities as tolerated..exercise as tolerated, blah blah. The "only" written instructions was to put dry dressings to cover the hole that had the JP drain. Keep it covered until it quits draining. A list of my medications & when to take them.

The back of the other form just had things circled as to when I should call City of Hope nursing triage if something doesn't seem right. No mention of physical therapy, exercises...absolutely nothing. The discharge nurse did show me how to give myself Lovenox injections & told me to call her if I had any questions. No mention of PT coming out to my house or on the two forms she had me sign? I was asking for PT from the first morning after surgery. It was my biggest and most constant complaint!

As to food I'll admit I haven't done well in that area. I really haven't had much of an appetite...not sure why? I'm home alone all day and at first it was next to impossible to go cook myself something or even fix a sandwich. Now I can get around better on my own but I just haven't wanted to eat much. I know I need to work on that.

I noticed I did not get a call back from my Orthopedic's nurse today like she promised. She was suppose to let me know exactly what his doctors orders were and see why I did not get PT. She is always good about following thru and calling me back...odd that she didn't this time? Someone is going tell me why I didn't get any PT...or any other type of therapy for that matter. I bet it was about keeping cost down...I'm an expensive patient...so they will cut corners every chance they can at MY expense. Let me suffer. (I think it's beyond cruel.)

Chelee
Old 12-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #20
ElaineM

Wink Re: I'm so tired of this! (Venting again!)

I have my fingers crossed that you have a healthy 2010 and everything will be smooth sailing from now on.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote