HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Rich66

Using proton pump inhibitors?

Suggestion today that some of mom's upper ab discomfort is probably due to Navelbine induced excess acid. Proton pump inhibitor suggested. She does have compazine and tried it for the first time today. Not sure if this alone would reign things in. Other types of acid reducers were said to have negative interaction possibilities.
Even before PPI was suggested, I was coming across articles on downsides of PPIs. I know it's a risk/benefit issue but..any thoughts?

examples:

http://download.journals.elsevierhea...850900780X.pdf

Proton Pump Inhibitors May Induce Acid Symptoms
Increased symptoms seen after therapy withdrawal suggest drugs cause dependency
Publish date: Jul 2, 2009

THURSDAY, July 2 (HealthDay News) -- After proton pump inhibitor therapy is withdrawn, patients may be likely to experience acid-related symptoms, according to a study published in the July issue of Gastroenterology.
Christina Reimer, M.D., of Copenhagen University in Denmark, randomly assigned 120 healthy volunteers to receive 12 weeks of placebo or eight weeks of esomeprazole at a dosage of 40 mg/d followed by four weeks with placebo.
During weeks nine through 12, the researchers found the esomeprazole group was significantly more likely than the placebo group to report at least one acid-related symptom (44 versus 15 percent). At weeks 10, 11, and 12, they also found that the esomeprazole group had higher rates of dyspepsia, heartburn, or acid regurgitation (22, 22, and 21 percent, respectively) than the placebo group (7, 5, and 2 percent, respectively).
"We find it highly likely that the symptoms observed in this trial are caused by rebound acid hypersecretion and that this phenomenon is equally relevant in patients treated long term with proton pump inhibitors," the authors conclude. "These results justify the speculation that proton pump inhibitor dependency could be one of the explanations for the rapidly and continuously increasing use of proton pump inhibitors."
Authors of the study reported financial relationships with manufacturers of proton pump inhibitors.
Abstract
Full Text

Title: Proton Pump Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Clostridium difficile Outbreaks: Presented at ICC
"Proton Pump Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Clostridium difficile Outbreaks: Presented at ICC"

By Louise Gagnon TORONTO -- June 22, 2009 -- Taking proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) increases the potential for outbreaks of [Clostridium difficile, according to a case-control study presented here at the International Congress of Chemotherapy and Infection (ICC) on June 20. Researchers studied whether an association exists between the use of PPIs and C difficile-associated disease (CDAD) that is nosocomially acquired.

Although it is well established that the prescription of antibiotics raises the potential for an outbreak of C difficile, other factors that augment the possibility of an outbreak are not as well known, explained Stephanie Linney, Sudbury Regional Hospital, Sudbury, Ontario, who conducted the study while completing her pharmacy residency at Trillium Health Centre, Mississauga, Ontario, where an outbreak of CDAD had occurred.

"The contribution of PPIs is a controversial topic," she noted. PPIs have been implicated in the development of CDAD because they dramatically decrease the bactericidal effect of gastric acid.

Patients in the study were matched for age, sex, the date of hospitalisation, and the hospital unit to which they were admitted. The study comprised 142 cases and 142 control subjects. Current use of a PPI was defined as use on the date that the C difficile diagnosis came back positive. Past use was defined as the use of a PPI in the past 30 days.

"We didn't find any association between current use of PPIs and a diagnosis of C difficile," Linney said. "We did find, however, that past use could be a contributor."

Specifically, the researchers found that the odds ratio (OR) between current use and CDAD outbreak was 1.0, and the OR between past use of a PPI and CDAD was 2.4.

Antibiotic use has been found to be highly associated with the development of CDAD, with an OR of 12.0.

The presence of diabetes, enteral feeds, cancer, gastrointestinal surgery, inflammatory bowel disease, and institutionalisation did not play a role in the development of hospital-acquired CDAD, according to the retrospective analysis.

"Our suggestion is that if you have a patient who does develop CDAD, you should explore all options," said Linney. "You need to reassess if [patients] do actually need their PPIs. We suggest using an H2 antagonist instead, unless a PPI is absolutely needed."

[Presentation title: Association Between the Use of Proton Pump Inhibitors and a Clostridium difficile-Associated Disease Outbreak: A Case-Control Study. Abstract P289]

Copyright © 2009 P\S\L Consulting Group Inc. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of P\S\L content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of P\S\L. P\S\L shall not be liable for any errors, omissions or delays in this content or any other content on its sites, newsletters or other publications, nor for any decisions or actions taken in reliance on such content.

Go back

This site is maintained by webmaster@pslgroup.com
Please contact us with any comments, problems or bugs.
All contents Copyright (c) 2009 P\S\L Consulting Group Inc.
All rights reserved.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
juanita

i had to take 1 while i was doing chemo but cannot remember what it was called. had to take a pretty heavy dose and then when i was done i got to cut back till i didn't need it any more. good luck!
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Laurel

Rich,

I am not certain this is applicable to your Mother's case, however, during chemo I had severe esophagitis. My whole esophagus was raw and blistered. My Onc. placed me on Protonix, a ppi, which did help greatly. After chemo I went to see a naturapath.
She wanted me off the Protonix within 2 weeks and placed me on Probiotics. The naturapath said that chemo wrecks havoc on our G.I. tracts killing off the natural flora our guts need. She further said that PPI's inhibit absorption of many nutrients. Within 2 weeks I was weaned from the Protonix and very symptom free on the Probiotics alone. My onc. had told me that I might be on Protonix for the remainder of my life. I am happy to say she was wrong in this instance!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Yorkiegirl

While I was on Chemo I had to take Prilosec 2 x day. Now that I have finished I still need it 1 x day per my Gastro Doctor. I also take Probiotic Acidophilus as well daily. I guess I will see what what my endoscope looks like in September.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
ElaineM

Wink Using proton pump inhibitors?

No doubt about it. Chemo affects our gastrointestinal tracks, but we can help by adjusting our diets. Does she want to cut back on foods that cause gas? We can do the same about food that causes heartburn and other gastrointestinal symptoms. You can do a search on the internet to get some ideas about what foods to limit for various symptoms. The doc can suggest some over the counter and prescription medicines to help with various gastrointestinal track problems.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Carolyns

Hi Rich,

Yikes, I didn't know about these things. I am on Prevacid and it became necessary while I was on Navelbine. I have been on it for about a year now. But I was having bad pain. Now I will look into seeing if I can discontinue it based on your findings.

Thanks, Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
Hopeful

Rich, I have read articles that proton pump inhibitors also cause loss of bone mass. When this news broke about 18 months ago, my onc was very upset, as he (and other oncs) had patients taking both PPI's and AI's, which magnified the effect.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Yorkiegirl

Hopeful I also read about them causing Bone Loss as well. BUT if I don't take them daily I have trouble. Also with me taking Actonel once a month that also really does a number on my tummy. I have severe Osteoporsis in my spine, so I have to take the Actonel, but it sure doesn't like me.
At times I feel like I'm in a rock and hard place on this. As I need the PPI, but wonder how much the Actonel is really helping? Since when I have my Dexa Scans they say no improvement.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
Rich66

One thing from the lengthier article mentions the rebound may only last a couple months. of course...that could be a rough 2 months. But for those that found coming off them to be hard, might still be worth seeing if they really need them over time. I'm imagining teh PPI's artificially holding back acid reduction and the body pushing to overcome it. When the PPIs are removed, perhaps it's like letting the floodgates open initially, with a calming down to follow.
Whjat teh articale also said is that they are given nearly reflexively without a look into whether there is evidence of excess acid. I asked one of the nurses about tests and she said they used to do some test where they checked something in the back of the throat or something but that they find it's simpler to prescribe the meds.
the otherh concern I have is taht in teh same meeting, the NP suggested delaying the Navelbine because wbc were low.
I wonder how many chemo induced GI issues are caused by reduced defenses to h. pylori bacteria as opposed to excess acid. They spent many years mistreating ulcers until they found out it was an infection. Chemo, infection..ring any bells?

Mom didn't take them and seems ok today. We'll see.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
Carolyns

Hi Rich,

I tried to go off of Prevacid for one day a couple of days ago and it didn't turn out well. I am back on. I guess I will wait until we get our new treatment plan in order before I worry about this issue. I was hopeful that I could just not take the pill but the pain started and wouldn't quit even after I took the meds. It was a rough evening and night. Anyway, thanks for the heads up and I will see if my doctor can advise a way to step down once my new treatment plan is in place.

PS - I was tested for the bacteria and it was negative.

Take care, Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:21 AM   #11
tricia keegan

I did'nt ask for anything during chemo but wish I had as I developed a hiatal hernia and extreme reflux after tx which I was told was damage to the esophagus from the drugs.
I was advised to take a daily nexium which I still do and feel this has worked for me. I haven't actually tried to stop taking it as yet but may have to continue on it, only time will tell.
I was advised had I taken this during my tx it would have reduced the damage.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote