HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
RobinP

Help support bill for more cancer research.

Have you heard of the 21st Century Cancer ALERT (Access to Lifesaving, Early Detection, Research and Treatment) Act (S.717)? This landmark cancer bill was introduced in the Senate last week and, if passed, will strengthen cancer research, emphasize early detection, and improve cancer care for under served populations.
Members of Congress are heading home for recess this weekend, which means the real fight has just begun. Over the next two weeks our senators will lay out their legislative priorities for the year in their own states and we have a small window to make sure passing the ALERT Act is at the top of their lists.
Forty percent of Americans will be diagnosed with cancer at some point in their lives. 1.4 million new cases will be diagnosed this year alone. Cancer claimed more than 565,000 American lives in 2008 – that's 1,500 people a day!
Given these staggering numbers, we must renew our national commitment to ending suffering and death from cancer. That's why it's so important we seize this opportunity to turn our government's attention back to fighting this terrible disease.
I just signed the Komen Advocacy Alliance petition urging my senators to support this important bill. Will you join me?
It's easy to do, just click here and add your voice to the call: http://komenpolicy.org/campaign/cancer_alert_act
Thanks for your support!