HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Joy

surgery scheduled

Hi everyone, first let me say that I'm very sad about Kate and join with you all in paryer and hope for this amazing woman.

Secondly, although, I feel selfish posting right now, but just needed to connect with you wonderful people. I am having my oophers removed on Tuesday. I'm trying to energize that it will be no big deal. I did start faslodex at 500mg and herceptin loading dose a week ago. Had a pretty rough afternoon after that, but had a reason to rally that I'll share in a sec. I'm so hoping this works as I have never been happier in my entire life than I am right now-even before cancer I think.

So as I shared I was proposed to and it seemed exciting except then all these nagging concerns I had with this person became amplified. There was some dishonesty and some neglected basic responsibilities and a very complicated and mysterious divorce that there is no way in which I'll know the truth. So after a lot of soul searching and recoiling I chose to break it off completely. It didn't go terribly well when I tried to talk it out and so I made it pretty abrupt. In my journal I realized that my drawings reflected a lot of sadness until I made the desicion to be done, then the drawings became liberated and I felt so much better. I have a history of ignoring red flags and am so proud of myself for looking at these carefully. So recently my best friend and I went out to discuss all of this and how I was feeling good about my decision even though I knew it would be hard. As we were leaving I ran into a former student of mine ( I used to teach childbirth classes) and this was a dad that always stuck out in my mind as a brialliant sweet person who would make a wonderful father and ...he's hot. Anyway it turns out that he and his wife had divorced a few years ago and he was deemed the stable parent (which is no surprise to me) so he has almost full custody of his 7 and 9 year old. It was great to catch up and he asked for my number. Well, we have connected in a way that I NEVER thought possible. I have never experienced a connection with someone as I do with him and he confessed that when I was their teacher, although he knew what was appropriate in his life at the time and acted accordingly, he developed a crush on me ( i was even pregnant at the time). Which is so funny because I had thought of all the dads I worked with he never left my mind. I couldn't believe what he was telling me. And we ran in similar circles for several years and he knows about my health struggles already. So he said when he saw me that night he couldn't let me go. It has been so inspiring and life affirming and renewed my fighting spirit. Not that I lost it as I have so many reasons to live regardless of him, but this is something so amazingly special. My last relationship began to wear on me as I felt like this person was resting everyhting on me to provide his happiness and I can't do that. Did that with my first husband and when I finally left he attempted suicide-it was a horrible time, one I never want to repeat as I stayed with him so unhappily for too long. And as weird as this sounds I actually started to see cancer as an out with my last relationship, which felt pretty dysfunctional. Now I see every reason to kick cancer's butt HARD. No one outside of my kids has inspired that in such a happy way before. It is crazy I know, but wow am I happy. I've been dancing all day!

thanks for listening, just wanted to share my happiness.

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
chrisy

Well Joy, that was a very interesting post! Reminded me of the old saying about when a door closes another opens.
You are my idol - not only have I never been able to rally the discipline to keep a journal, but for you to have put your feelings in so well as to be able to see them later is awesome!
Not that you might be moving on into another relationship (of course you have my blessings with this new man - he sounds heaven sent), it might be handy to have someone around who can coach you on how to breathe when you are awaiting scan results. He had a great teacher, so I'll bet he's pretty good!
As for the oophs - well, out with them! who needs 'em anyway.

Thank you for sharing your happiness - never feel selfish about sharing either your joys or your trials. We are all swimming together in this mix of both, and we need to hear it.

Much much love to you
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Paty

Dear Joy,

I am happy for you. Thanks for sharing your feelings. Live life as deeply as you can, there is never a second chance! God bless you and keep dancing!!!

Paty
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Becky

OMG - when you're hot, you're hot. I think the late 30's and 40's are the sexiest time ever for women and you are living us married farts' fantasies. DON'T STOP - please. And keep posting - often (daily).

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
lexigirl

Hee hee...Joy, I think I am with Becky on this one!! Your happiness is contagious!! I am excited to see you excited!! I think it's terrific that you share yourself with us. I am inspired by you!

I am hoping for an uneventful surgery and quick healing for you. Keep us posted!

Hugs,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
Bill

Joy, I'm so happy for you! Your happiness is shining right through. Hey, call me crazy, but "the other guy", for some reason, I just felt uneasy about him, even when you first posted about him, that's why I offered to fly out to Fort Collins and take him out for a little hike, you know, just to "check his intentions", and lay down some ground rules. But, Joy, for what it's worth, I don't have that feeling with this guy. I'm happy for you. Best wishes, Big Brother Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
Mary Jo

Hi Joy,

You know what? Your posts ALWAYS generate JOY. ALWAYS! Even when you are sharing something that is distressing you always find a way to bring JOY to the post. I love that about you.

So, let me first say - good luck with your surgery on Tuesday. It will all go well...I am sure. I do ask God to bring about success both in surgery and in recovery for you.

Now, as for the new "hottie" in your life. All I can say is - "YOU GO GIRL!!!" Oh what fun for you. Oh what a JOYFUL life you live. Even in the sad times, we can all find some JOY somewhere and you sweet Joy, always seem to find it and are able to share it with us which in turn brings JOY into our life.

I wonder why you were named Joy

Love and God's Peace I pray for you.........

Mary Jo

P.S. Please post after Tuesday to let us know how things went, please. OK? Thank you.
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #8
caya

Good for you Joy - this guy sounds amazing. I hope it all works out for you. And I will be thinking of you on Tuesday, I pray for a complete and speedy recovery.

Please do keep us posted with all the details (the romantic ones for sure).

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
Ruth

AWESOME! Joy, this is just wonderful life affirming exciting news. We never know when people will come into our lives and bring us joy. I am so very happy for you and want lots of posts about this! Early romantic love feelings are so VERY, VERY great and what an immune system booster!!!!!

Hugs ~ Ruth

P.S. I still have my heart flip flop for my husband...and I found him post cancer too!

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #10
Barbara H.

Wow! This is an incredable story. I certainly wish you all the best on Tuesday and beyond. I also think it's great that you keep this journal.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
Jackie07

Thank you for letting us share your happiness. Congratulations on a wonderful relationship with your "prince charming". After being chronically ill for so long, I sometimes wonder how in the world my husband would stay
with me. But when you find the right one, you find the right one. And we just love to hear good news.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
Joy

Oh...you guys

You guys make me so happy too! thank you for all the beautiful comments and wishes. And Bill, I remember that post of yours and thanks for being a big brother-we need you! And what else is crazy and relevant to your feelings is that 2 of my dear friends who had not spoken to each other (just because of being busy) on anything concerning my last relationship both attempted web searches on his background and did not tell me until I was thinking of breaking up. And to be honest, so did I and I did not feel good about it at all and yet felt compelled to do so and never really told anyone about how much I tried to find things out. Well, it only took a couple months this time for me to catch on. I'm getting better anyway.

You all mean so much to me!

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #13
AlaskaAngel

Smile Decisions

Dear Joy,

I too am happy that you shared so much today here, and am glad that you are finding your way through all the decision-making and moving forward, not backward or standing still. The most exciting part to me was that you really did listen to your self in making your choices. BRAVO!!!!!

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #14
Soccermom

Dear Joy,
OOOOoo I just love to hear happy stories (real life)...sigh..wish I had the inner strength to make the changes in my life that I need to.
G-d bless you Joy, go out there and LIVE!
Hugs,marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:29 AM   #15
hermiracles

Dear Joy - all the best with your surgery and your great new love! Life is to be lived
Blessings
Hermiracles
09/07 Stage 2 bilat. mastectomy R/ b. clear extens DCIS/IDC Paget’s 8 nodes clear ER(<5%) HER2+++ CT clear
11/07 Portacath - FEC
15/11/07 Stage 4 Emerg op - hip replacemt #NOF bone mets H/Taxotere
12/07 Rx to 'spots' on spine/R/hip/femur 3wkly H
2008 H+T mets to rib/sternum? Aredia CT clear! Cont. H + Aredia 07/08 1 wk Palliative Care - mets to lungs + ?1 to brain
09/08 Stop H complete Epirubicin 1wk PC new brain mets
10/08 2wks WBR 1wk PC 22/10/08 Tykerb/Xeloda 12/08 6 CEREBRAL METS COMPLETELY GONE! Rib mets down to <1cm.
01/09 Tumour markers normal! Rx to L/arm
03/09 LUNGS CLEAR (ALL NODULES GONE!), brain clear, liver clear. Bones stable! ~ THANK YOU GOD
07/09 Repeat CT Scan ~ ALL organs clear apart from bones which remain stable. I walk in gratitude.
hermiracles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #16
Patb

Best of luck with your surgery. Inspiring story for all of us. We cannot control the wind but we can adjust our sails. Take care.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #17
swimangel72

Joy thanks so much for sharing your story - it really warms my heart! Good luck with your surgery on Tuesday - you'll be in my prayers!
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #18
Vi Schorpp

Joy

you said it only took you a few months this time to "catch on." People only show you the sides of them that they want to...there's really no way to know in a certain amount of time enough about anyone. You are a good judge of character nonetheless. Good luck to you and great to hear from you.
Vi Schorpp is offline   Reply With Quote