HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-30-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
Lani

info to help decisions on when/how to reconstruct,radiate after mastectomy

: Ann Plast Surg. 2008 Mar;60(3):244-250.

The Impact of Breast Reconstruction on the Oncologic Efficacy of Radiation Therapy: A Retrospective Analysis.

Nahabedian MY, Momen B.
From *Department of Plastic Surgery, Georgetown University, Washington, DC, and Division of Plastic Surgery, Johns Hopkins University; and â€*Department of Natural Resources, University of Maryland, College Park, MD.
Current indications for radiation therapy in women with breast cancer are controversial and continue to be modified. Current indications for breast reconstruction in the setting of radiation therapy are also controversial and poorly defined. The purpose of this study is to analyze oncologic outcomes following various methods of breast reconstruction in the setting of radiation therapy. A retrospective review of 676 women who had breast reconstruction following mastectomy was completed. A total of 146 women had breast reconstruction either before or after radiation therapy and were analyzed. Response variables included tumor recurrence and patient demise for patients having autologous and prosthetic reconstruction. Explanatory variables included patient age, cancer stage, radiation therapy, diabetes mellitus, and tobacco use. Recurrence of tumor occurred in 29 of 146 women (19.8%), of which 27% was when radiation followed reconstruction and 14.9% was when radiation preceded reconstruction. Patient demise occurred in 8.9%, of which 11.9% was when radiation followed reconstruction and 6.9% was when radiation preceded reconstruction. The difference in tumor recurrence in the setting of radiation therapy before or after breast reconstruction was significant for autologous (P = 0.0146) and prosthetic (P = 0.0424) reconstruction. The difference in patient demise was significant for autologous reconstruction (P = 0.0380) but not for prosthetic reconstruction (P = 0.2827). These results imply that tumor recurrence and patient demise may be increased when radiation therapy is performed following breast reconstruction. The need for a prospective inquiry is validated.
PMID: 18443503 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Mary Jo

Thank you Lani for this information and all the helpful, important information you provide. This one in particular is of interest to me. I am scheduled for DIEP bilateral reconstruction on June 17. I will be a 3 year survivor the end of July and have completed all chemo/radiation and herceptin treatments. So................I'm rootin' on an uneventuful surgery and recovery and for all to continue to go well for me..........................BUT don't we all. So....thanks for sharing this.

Love to you Lani,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06