HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
Ceesun

Wink Prosthesis ...any do's and don'ts?

Hello to all, After a couple of nasty infections done, the last one had me at the onc's office 3 times last week due to potential dehydration, I am finally starting to feel a bit like my former self...on the mend!! Anyway, I am going for a "fitting' Thursday and wondering if there are any recommendations on the breast form.. style, etc... also is it safe to buy on the internet websites? I am eager to get some balance back in there. Sincerely, Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
PinkGirl

Smile some thoughts

Hi Ceese,
I am happy that you are feeling better and on your way for a fitting.
Mine is made by Amoena and I am very happy with it. I have two of
them - one for my pre-chemo weight and one for my post-chemo weight.

I would make sure that it is very, very comfortable. I can wear mine all day and forget that it's there - super comfortable. I never intend to wear it to bed, but I have fallen asleep with it on, and slept comfortably all night.

I purchased mine at a very vulnerable time. I was in between surgery and starting chemo. If my husband had not been with me in the store, I would have purchased 5 of everything they had. He convinced me to buy the prosthetic and 2 bras. My sister and I sewed linings into the sports bras I already had, saving me a lot of money.

One thing to watch for that you might find helpful, is a lightweight pad that is the same shape as the prosthetic. You can attach it with a water soluble glue if you want to just drop the prosthetic into an ordinary bra. It keeps you from having the prosthetic against your bare skin. Most of the time I put mine into a lined bra.

The only other thing I can think of is that I thought the prosthetic would only "help a little" to make me look normal, but if you are fitted properly and purchase the right type for you, you will look normal. Happy shopping!!

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
Margerie

Ceesun,

I wore a Amoena Climate Control form for a year. I liked it a lot. You really could not tell which was the natural breast in a bra and tight shirt. It has a removable cool gel pad- which the gal said most women love. She was right! If you live in a warm climate, are athletic or get hot flashes- it is very nice to have this feature. I don't know if you live near a Nordstrom's- the gals in the intimates department are trained to fit breast forms. The woman helping me was spot on with the first one I tried. They will also take any bra in their department and custom sew a pocket for the form. My form stayed put in my regular underwire bras.

I would be comfortable ordering one online- after I tried them on and got the make and model-LOL.

If I had to do it over again, I would spend the extra $100 or so and get the swim form too. Regular one was too heavy in a suit!!

http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product.do?id=16365

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote