HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-20-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
Grace

Radiation and changes to skin & thyroid

I burned very badly during radiation, but was very pleased when the burn disappeared rather quickly and skin felt soft to touch; however, six months later, it's very dark in large area around scar and is rough to the touch. Have any of you had this happened six to seven months after your radiation, and if so, what did you do and did it help?

Also, did any of you go back to see radiologist after you finished. Mine suggested I return in April but I never did.

Also, I've been on thyroid medication for seven years with no issues, but last TSH is above normal, despite medication. Endocronologist today asked about my radiation and CT experiences. Anyone else have this happen after radiation or multiple CT's (or, possibly, herceptin). Thanks.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:35 AM   #2
Lani

the thyroid gland is one of the most sensitive parts of the body to radiation

That is why there was increased thyroid cancer after the atomic bombs were dropped in Japan at the end of WW2. Also why they tell people who live near atomic power plants to keep tablets on hand to protect their thyroid.

Xray technicians are supposed to shield the thyroid gland with a lead protector during routine procedures--many only do so if asked. Can't shield the thyroid during radiation therapy, I have been told, as it would change the way the radiation travels around so their dose calculations would be inaccurate.

You may want to ask your oncologist about Trental and Vitamin E in combination--decreases post radiation fibrosis, even after scarring has begun. I think I posted the relevant papers (check search, if not, let me know)

Hope some of this is useful to you.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:12 AM   #3
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Grace!
My rad onc will see me again next month. She checked me carefully throughout and just following radiation. She gave me exercises to do to keep the skin and muscles stretching and healthy and advised me on cremes etc for my skin. She works with me on long term care of the area and has been so very helpful with potential pains, etc. Call and go see her (him) and ask tons of questions. I'm discovering that the rad treatments have a long lasting effect and that I need to continue to "work the program" about them. Good luck, mary anne

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:57 AM   #4
Becky

Dear Grace

I burned very badly too but recovered well (like you did in the beginning) but have no lasting effects. My radiated breast is slightly darker and the breast/skin itself is firmer. That breast is actually "perkier" than my unaffected breast (go figure).

I see my radiation oncologist every 6 months but I think when I see him in October, he will switch me to once a year. (My mother had him too and she still sees him once a year- he does this with the lumpectomy patients so that we get in an additional clinical breast exam as there are 2 intact breasts there where a new problem could occur). Also, I think he just likes watching out for my mom and me very diligently and has a special feeling (this isn't the right word) for us. He had me use the Binefide cream for over 6 months. My mom told me to use pure 100% aloe vera gel for a year. Since hers turned out so good, I did and I did great (could just be the genes - the good and bad of it).

See your radiation oncologist about this as this is his area of expertise and he will have the right suggestions and exercises to help remedy this problem.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Grace

Thanks all,

I probably will make an appointment to see radiologist, and I have plenty of biafine left and will start using again. This really just started a short while ago so maybe not that far along--hopefully.

Have appointment for sonogram of thyroid in three weeks; fortunately my doctor only noticed slight enlargement of thyroid, no nodules, but sonogram will tell. I suppose it's good for everyone to get their TSH checked regularly, and easier for us as we're always getting blood tests.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
StephN

Wink Skin care

Hi Grace -
After my second round of chemos for mets, I had my thyroid checked. I was SO fatigued that they wanted to rule that out. Turns out it was normal and it was just the two solid years of treatment that was dragging me down.

I did see my rad onc for 3 or 4 followups, until he said I was doing fine and it was time to "fire" him. Was lucky not to burn more than a good sunburn. But I used a special cream from the natural herbalist shop. The rad onc's nurse also gave me a bunch of trial size tubes of Aquaphor, which I also used.

One last thing. I was taking special capsules called Nioxin Recharging Complex for hair, skin and nails. I really believe this helped nourish my skin.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote