HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #1
cafe1084

New Mass--I have Questions

Hey all,

I found a new mass under my left axilla this past week. It is a good 2 1/2 inches from my mastectomy scar and feels the same as my breast mass was and is approximately 1 cm x 1 cm. I saw the oncologist and the surgeon today and was scheduled for a CT scan and a biopsy on Monday. The surgeon says it is possible that it is fat necrosis. I have heard of this briefly with reconstruction, but I was wondering if any of you have experienced it and thought it was a recurrence. I am also interested in knowing if any of you have developed a resistance to herceptin. If this is a recurrence for me, does it mean that the herceptin I've been getting for all of 5 months isn't going to help me ever again in the future? Breast cancer is bad enough. fearing that I'm resistant to Herceptin is worse!

Thanks,
Steph C
cafe1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Fat Necrosis

Don't panic. I too have heard of fat necrosis. Scar tissue maybe? See my story in my signature. It is my understanding that if you are resistent to Herceptin -- Tykerb was made for you. + there is some bld test now that shows if you are going to be a poor Herceptin recipient. I went on in '98 before they had that. Obviously, it is my magic bullet. But I attended a lecture a few wks ago where they mentioned the Tykerb working for those who weren't responding to Herceptin.

Don't jump the gun. No one has said Herceptin is not for you. It is so hard to be vigilant and proactive and involved and not become crazed, but that is what you must do. Please let us know how this goes. You have my prayers for a simple answer and the joy of being STABLE. With loving energy... ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
Becky

I have this although it is smaller than yours (but maybe not) and was fat and glandular tissue located about 1.5 inches from my lumpectomy scar. It was a bit scary but for some reason, I felt it would be okay. Keep the faith. This can all be so hard.

Also, if this is a local recurrence for you, it does NOT mean that the Herceptin isn't working. Chemo and Herceptin (or any IV drug) has a very difficult time penetrating scar tissue. The Herceptin is probably doing its job everywhere it can get to.

Big hug to you.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
cafe1084

The fact that this just showed up out of nowhere has me in a bit of a panic. It is absolutely crazy how in one day I went from enrolling in classes, contemplating a job transfer, house hunting, and looking forward to reconstruction this fall to a dead stand-still, afraid to make any decisions based on this lumpy thing under my arm. Knowing this can and HAS happened to someone else and turned out to be benign gives me some reassurance that it could be something other than a recurrence. I guess what I yet have to learn is that life will go on and so will I, no matter what may be thrown in my path. Thank you both for the positive thoughts. I certainly needed them in a bad way.
Steph C
Old 06-28-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Mary Anne in TX

Steph, keep those house hunting, job search dreams alive. They give us hope, determination, courage and that special sparkle. I'm pulling for you!
ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #6
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Living As If What You Want Already Exists

Yes, Steph. I'm a firm believer in making your INTENTIONS clear to your body and to the Universe. Your vivid EXPECTATIONS translate into mental chatter and whisperings, which induce coordinating pictures. YOUR BODY HEARS EVERY THING YOU SAY AND WHISPER and takes it all very seriously. So you go right on planning, AS IF what you truly want is on its way, coming directly to you. Live AS IF what you dream of ALREADY EXISTS! With love... ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 06-29-2007, 06:49 AM   #7
janet11

Steph, I found a lump the same day you did -- not far from my lumpy scar. Called my surgeon and I'm scheduled for a mammogram and ultrasound on Monday. After 30 minutes of being terrified, I'm now realizing that it's likely it's SO many other things.. that I've been able to relax and not worry until/unless I find there's something to worry about.

So good luck with your tests on Monday and I hope we BOTH get great results...

Janet

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:38 AM   #8
cafe1084

Janet, I hate that for you....that initial panic is horrific! What I'm wondering is this: When do we stop worrying about every lump and bump we find? Probably never! But, being ever vigilant with our bodies is a positive thing and may someday save us. I'll be thinking about you and wishing for positive things for you come Monday....hugs to you all!

Steph C
Old 06-30-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
theresaw

Wink

I also felt what I thought was a reacurrence mass, however after having a ct scan and mri it was just scar tissue. Boy was I happy!!! I wish the same for you!!
theresaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #10
Andrea Barnett Budin

Wink Low Ejection Fractions

Dr. Gaynor swears taking PERFUSIA SR, which is Argenine 380) -- just 1 a day -- vs bottle directions -- will fix low EF! He prefers this particular brand for Argenine. Can get it cheaper -- but quality is key. With loving, healing energy... ANDI