HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
Sheryl H

Another question - wight

I actually have not gained any weight, at least according to the scale. In fact, between my first A/C treatment and second, the nurse said I had lost 4 pounds. However, my pants are fitting tighter, and it seems to me that my face is a little fuller. I just feel bigger. Did this happen to any of you?
Sheryl H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
KellyA

Hi there,

Unfortuneately I did have a problem with my weight during (still do now :-) ) chemo. Before starting, I weighed about 115 and weigh in now at about 137. And thats with walking 3-5 miles a day. It started to come on slowly during the Taxol, probably due to the steriods. I'm "holding steady" right now, but am having problems losing any. Frustrating because I've always been pretty petite and am not now. Oh well, I know in the bigger scheme of things its not that bad, so I've just resigned myself to being as healthy and active as I can be.

Love, Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
Mary Jo

While doing A/C I didn't gain weight either and didn't really notice bloating too badly. However, while on taxol and herceptin I gained weight (probably partially due to no more nausious feeling and able to eat again) but I also noticed more of a "bloating" to my body. Face, hands (rings didn't fit). I exercised and really, really tried to watch what I ate but to no avail. I'd drop 2 pounds and gain 3. It went on like this till herceptin was finished. I finished herceptin on Oct. 11, 2006 and weighed 170 pounds. Now, 6 months later, the rings fit great, the old jeans are back out and the "new" jeans are packed away and the scale reads a much healthier and better feeling 152.

Hugs from Wisconsin,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
hutchibk

Sheryl - I agree with Kelly - it is most likely due to the steroids. That is one of the side effects of steroids... bloaty.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Andi

I stayed pretty much the same weight through my A/C and Taxol and Herceptin. I was training for the 3 day Koman walk in November so I walked about 30-40 miles a week and never lost any weight. I completed my herceptin year in September and noticed that I dropped maybe 3-4 pounds or so. When I had my pleuradesis, I lost a few more pounds and was probably down a total of 10-12 pounds from the beginning. I noticed during this time that my trunk really had no bulges. I am still down about 10 pounds but since I am back on the herceptin, even though there is no significant weight gain, I once again have bulges on my trunk. I have never had an edema problem in my hands or feet/legs, so I figure this must be some kind of a herceptin thing.
Diagnosed 6/30/05
Lumpectomy 7/13/05
Dose Dense A/C x 4
Weekly Taxol + Herceptin x 12
Remainder of year Herceptin Every 3 weeks (completes 9/13/06)
Radiation completed 2/28/06
Currently on Tamoxifen
Dec 06 - Pleural effusion treated with pleurodesis
Now er/pr-, her2++
1/07 started weekly Navelbine plus Herceptin
Discontinued Tamoxifen
4/27/07 CTshowed progression
5/01/07 Began Tykerb/Xeloda + Zometa
5/22/07 Stopped treatment due to great progression
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
Hazel Joyce

I gained 13 pounds in 12 weeks while on Adriamycin/Cytoxan. I had my 3rd dose of Taxol/Herceptin yesterday. My weight seems to be holding steady the past 2 weeks. My oncologist offered 4 reasons: less physical activity, steroids, nothing tastes good, friends bring over lasagna and fudge!

Wishing you all the best!
3 cm tumor, 8 cancerous lymph nodes
Grade 3, ER/PR -, HER-2/neu +++ (by FISH, average 20 copies per cell)
A/C x 4, Taxol x 12, Herceptin x 47 weeks
35 radiation treatments
Completed treatment on April 3, 2008
Chest port removed October 2009
11 years since diagnosis NED
Hazel Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
Emelie

I am so glad to hear it is not just me. I kept my weight steady thru A/C and Taxotere/Herceptin, but my face is fuller, and my pants fit tighter around the waist. I am hoping that it will finally resolve when I finish Herceptin. My husband ask's me how can I even care about my weight? He also tells me that "I lood just fine". That is quite a compliment from a guy who has seen me thru 2 kids, all this breast cancer stuff (you all know what that entails) and much, much more for 22 years. I have since promised not to worry about it and do the best I can to eat healthy and exercise.
Stay strong ladies,
Emelie
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote