HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Jade

Effexor XR Alert!

Please, please, anyone who is on this drug or thinking about taking it, Google "Effexor withdrawal" and do your research. This is a dangerous drug. I was put on it after chemo for hot flashes. Yes, it did reduce them slightly but I still suffer terribly. Last December I was rushed to hospital in a very bad way; I didn't know what was wrong with me. At the hospital they couldn't figure it out either. Since I've learned about Effexor, I've learned that it was this drug that put me there. I won't go into the details of that, but let me share this. For me and a lot of others, according to my research on the internet, the drug lasts about 22-23 hours; after that I begin to have "electric shocks" or as I call them "short circuits" in my brain. My mood can get very black quite suddenly. This is my reminder to take Effexor. If you miss a day, you will pay. When I ended up in hospital, I had missed 3 days. This drug has also caused me to gain 20 lbs. literally almost overnight (others have reported as much as 50 lbs. weight gain - how healthy is that??!!) I was on Prozac for 5 years because of PMDD (pre menstrual dystrophic disorder, which defined is PMS off the scale) and if I missed a few days it was no problem, so of course I didn't realize Effexor would be any different. I am now weaning myself off this drug, cutting down by 1/8 every 5 days (I'm on 150mg) and so far so good.
Did you know that one of the "rare" side effects is that some people have to be on this drug for life, they can never stop once they've started?!!! Please, please, anyone on this drug, Google "Effexor withdrawal" and learn what your doctor has gotten you into, get the real facts from people who have experienced it firsthand. Knowledge is power as we on this board are all too painfully aware.
I post rarely but visit regularly. Let me take this opportunity to say again what an incredibly amazing group of women and men you are, so courageous, brave and very intelligent. I am regularly humbled and enlightened by you. I wish the very best for each and every one of you.
With love,
Jade
Aug.05 - began Herceptin every 3 weeks for 1 year
Aug.06 - ended treatment
NED
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Emelie

Jade,
Thanks so much for your post. I went to Google and read way too many articles to not believe this won't happen to me. I have had eye twitching and nauseau since I started. Also I have felt sadder than normal and cry easily. I had thought it was the stress of bc, but i think not now. I am currently on 37.5 mg and have been for 5 weeks. I think I will start out skipping a day for a week, then 2 days, and go from there.
Let me know how you are doing?
Thanks again for the info. The doctor never mentioned withdrawls from this med. I really don't know who to trust anymore.
Emelie
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
Jade

Hi Emelie

You should always discuss with your doctor before going off these types of medications. I'm not a doctor, just a patient who had to learn the hard way. I feel safe doing what I'm doing as I've had some experience and education with antidepressants, even though they've never been prescribed for me for depression, but other ailments! You should talk to your doctor and discuss your symptoms and what you've learned, but in any case please don't skip any days, but rather wean yourself off slowly, less grams over a period of time, at least a month if you're on 37.5mg. The effect of the drug can wear out in 22-23 hours which can begin withdrawal symptoms in certain individuals (myself among them) and when you miss a day you can feel really bad.

Hopefully some others on the board will weigh in with their experience on this drug. No doubt there are some that it works for, but what happens when they try to withdraw?

Best wishes to you Emelie, I hope this all works out for you.

Jade
Aug.05 - began Herceptin every 3 weeks for 1 year
Aug.06 - ended treatment
NED
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
janet/FL

I was thinking of starting a thread on hot flashes but I want to reply to this. I have been weaning myself off sleeping pills and have been having a lot of trouble with hot flashes. I was up every two hours, then up an hour trying to cool down. Not much sleep. I have noticed now that the times I have taken Benadryl I have not had hot flashes all night. I don't know how long this will last, but I have had several good nights sleep with out the use of heavy sleep meds. I know many people do not like Benadry, but for now, it beats the side effects of heavier sleep meds. Also, I have heard that is can help with withdrawl from antidepressants.
Lumpectomy 12/2004
Stage 1, 9mm DCIS, grade 2, Her2+++, ER/PR negative
Refused A/C as recommened by two oncs.
35 treatments of radiation that ended March 4, 2005
Changed oncologists and began
Taxotere/Herceptin August 2005. Finished Herceptin July 2006
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:54 AM   #5
tousled1

It is mandataory that you wean off Effexor - don't just stopt taking it. I had been on Effexor for a few years after the death of my son. When I finally felt I no longer needed the antidepressant I spoke to my family physician. I was "weaned off" the Effexor and had no problems with withdrawal symptoms. The most unusual thing was that I went off it right after being diagnosed with breast cancer. I been off it for a year now and feel fine.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
sally

effexor/hot flashes

I was on Effexor for about 2 months and loved it. I only took 12.5 mg twice a day. It made me loose wieght, sleep better, less hot flashes, better mood and clearer thinking. I knew it was too good to be true. I started having urinary complications. My doctor looked up the drug in a book in the office and it said urinary disfunction. Not a very common side effect but of course I had to get it. Sally
sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:48 AM   #7
lu ann

Paxil is another drug that you don't want to quit taking without a Doctors help. My psychologist told me that you can have seizures if you quit taking this drug.

I was on effexor and did not have a problem, but you don't know how you will react so it's better to stay on the side of caution.
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote