HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-02-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
Lani

updated statistics on how many her2+ tumors are ER+PR+, ER+PR-, ER-PR+ and ER-PR-

When I first starting reading the literature, the statistic repeated over and over was that only 10% of her2+ patients who were 3+ by IHC or + by FISH were ER+PR+ and no other combinations other than ER-PR- were mentioned.

Now that her2 testing is more widespread (and HOPEFULLY better performed) more statistics should come out. Here are some interesting ones!

Pathology. 2006 Oct;38(5):391-8. Links
Evaluation of oestrogen and progesterone receptor status in HER-2 positive breast carcinomas and correlation with outcome.

Francis G,
Beadle G,
Thomas S,
Mengersen K,
Stein S.
Princess Alexandra Hospital, Queensland Health Pathology Service, Woolloongabba.
Aim: HER-2/neu amplification occurs in 15-25% of breast carcinomas. This oncogene, also referred to as c-erbB-2, encodes a transmembrane tyrosine kinase receptor belonging to the epidermal growth factor receptor family. HER-2 over-expression is reported to be associated with a poor prognosis in breast carcinoma patients and in some studies is associated with a poorer response to anti-oestrogen therapy. These patients are less likely to benefit from CMF (cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, fluorouracil)-based chemotherapy compared with anthracycline-based chemotherapy. The aim of this study was to evaluate breast carcinomas to determine hormone receptor status and if there is a difference in breast cancer specific survival for HER-2 positive patients.Methods: A total of 591 breast carcinomas were evaluated using immunohistochemistry (IHC) for oestrogen receptor (ERp), progesterone receptor (PRp) and three different HER-2 antibodies (CB11, A0485 and TAB250). Percentage of tumour cells and intensity of staining for ERp were evaluated using a semiquantitative method.Results: Of the 591 tumours, 91 (15.4%) showed 3+ membrane staining for HER-2 with one or more antibodies. Of these 91 tumours, 41 (45.1%) were ERp+/PRp+, seven (7.7%) were ERp+/PR-, six (6.6%) were ERp-/PRp+ and 37 (40.7%) were ERp-/PR-. Of HER-2 positive tumours, 5.5% showed >80% 3+ staining for ERp compared with 31.8% of 0-2+ HER-2 tumours; 24.2% of HER-2-positive tumours showed 60% or more cells with 2+ or 3+ staining for ERp. Treatment data were available for 209 patients and no difference was observed in breast cancer specific survival (BCSS) with HER-2 status and tamoxifen.Conclusion: Oestrogen receptor status cannot be used to select tumours for evaluation of HER-2 status, and oestrogen and progesterone receptor positivity does not preclude a positive HER-2 status. There is a higher proportion of ERp negative tumours associated with HER-2 positivity, however, more than 20% of HER-2 positive tumours show moderate or strong staining for ERp. HER-2 positive patients in this study did not show an adverse BCSS with tamoxifen treatment unlike some previous studies.
PMID: 17008275 [PubMed - in process]
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Bev

I'm a little confused as usual. Early on in the abstact they say Triple pos made up 45% and HR neg 41%. At the end they say 20% are ER+ and the majority are HR-. I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:41 AM   #3
Becky

45% are ER+PR+ and 7.7% are only ER+ - this means alittle over half of Her2+ bc is ER+. Of all Her2+ bc, 20% is strongly ER+. This means that about half of those that are ER+ are strongly positive.

This is how I read it.

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
CherylS

Thanks again Becky. Your help is, as always appreciated. My capacity for this stuff is so small, I'm just wondering where in the heck Woolloongabba is????
Old 10-03-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
Lani

my guess is Australia or New Zealand

sounds like an aboriginal name

Just speculating, but Queensland usually refers to some portion of the old British Empire
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
molly

Hi

Wollongabba is a suburb of Brisbane which is the capitol of the state of Queensland, in Australia. Not far from where I live. Molly
molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:03 AM   #7
CherylS

Gee Molly, thanks. I'm sure glad we got that solved. One more evidence of the beauty of this world wide message board. Now we can all sleep a little better at night just knowing where Woolloongabba is.