HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
ecperry

Cardiotoxicity after A/C, ? Herceptin

Hello, Everyone,

I found this site recently while doing some research on HER2. Because I believe there are no "coincidences" in life, I have to believe that I am here because of a divine purpose. Thus being said, I would like to do a little brain-storming if I may.

I was diagnosed in late 2002 with Stage IIB, ER/PR+, HER2+, Grade III, node positive BC. I opted for a lumpectomy and had 4 rounds of A/C, followed by 12 weeks of Taxol and 37 radiation treatments. Being part of the clinical study that evaluated Herceptin, I was and am still eligible to receive Herceptin.

Several months after my chemo ended I received a call from my oncologist informing me that my most recent echocardiogram indicated that my ejection fraction had reduced from 65% to 50% from the A/C. Subsequently, it returned almost to the pre-treatment level when last checked.

Because of the risk of cardiotoxicity from the Herceptin, my oncologist and I discussed the issue at length and I decided not to take the Herceptin because of that risk. Now I am having second thoughts about my decision.

Has anyone out there experienced cardiotoxicity from the A/C and then successfully received Herceptin?

I would appreciate any and all comments regarding this issue.

Betsy

Adrian, MI
ecperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
Mary Jo

Hello,

So sorry I can not help you. I did not have any problems with the A/C and thus far have had no problems with the herceptin. I have only 2 herceptin to go.

If I were you though, I'd give the herceptin a try because of the benefits to you. Your heart will be monitored and if there is a problem the herceptin can be stopped and heart function should heal itself.

That is just my opinion. Good luck to you.
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
Bev

Hi Betsy, My baseline was 65. Went down to 56 on AC. ON Herceptin alone went up to 70. I have been doing COQ10 while on H. My thought is to get tested every 3 months and if your numbers are stable or rising to go for it. I think this is the best thing we have going for us at this point in time. Herceptin has been very easy for me to do. Good Luck, BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
ecperry

Cardiotoxicity after A/C

Marejo,

Thank you for your encouragement and your wise response. You have voiced the conclusion that I have come to on my own after much reading. I dread the thought of starting Herceptin since it will mean more IV's, and most likely another port, but I will contact my oncologist and discuss it again.

I loved the scripture verse at the end of your note. It echoes my belief.

Betsy
Old 09-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
ecperry

Bev,

Thank you for telling me about your experience with A/C and Herceptin. That is exactly what I needed to hear. The ejection fraction reduction was my major reason for not accepting the herceptin when it was offered to me. I will contact the oncologist and discuss it again. Wishing you much success in your treatment.

Betsy
Old 09-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
Mgarr

Hi Betsy,

Just wanted to let you know I had A/C, Taxol, dose dense & year of Herceptin. I had one low MUGA score waited approx. 6 weeks retested and my ejection fraction was normal again. I can also tell you that I did not have a port and after chemo I found Herceptin gentle on my veins.

Best of luck with your decision.

Mary (fellow Michiganer)
Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:32 PM   #7
ecperry

Herceptin

Mary,

Thank you for your encouragement. Great news that the Herceptin didn't bother your veins, and better still that your ejection fraction went back to normal. I will contact my oncologist and discuss this all again with him. Better now than later.

Betsy
Old 09-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #8
julierene

I have had a 5% decrease from 50% to 45% and they put me on a small dose of ace-inhibitor to try to maintain a good heart result. It is VERY managable to take heart medications and stay on Herceptin.

It's all a very personal decision, but I would probably lean toward taking the heart medicine and remaining on Herceptin. if you have to take a little break and just do the heart medicine, then that's probably ok too. But just me, I would take all the Herceptin I can get them to give me. But seeing my history (below) that says a lot about me and why my views are the way they are.... Hugs, Julie
Aug 04: 4 Taxotere
Dec 05: Bone and Liver METS; Stage 4. Carboplatin/Taxol/Herceptin. DX with Li-Fraumeni Syndrome
Apr 06: NED, maintenance Herceptin
Apr 07: CA1503=14; masses in liver; Xeloda/Tykerb
Nov 07: NED, Tykerb maintenance
Sept 08: Liver mets again, on Tykerb/Xeloda again, CA=19 and 27
Nov 08: Progression, Tykerb/Gemzar, CA=25
Dec 08: Progression, Herceptin/Navelbine, CA=40, 57, and 130
Jan 09: Progression in bone, recession in liver, Herceptin/Carbo/Abraxane CA=135
June 09: CA27/29=24, chemo break
Sept 09: Progression, CA=24, waiting on clinical trial (4 weeks no treatment)
Nov 09: now have brain mets, trial "on hold", getting 14 WBR treatments starting 11/2/09
Dec 09: possible start on p53 trial
julierene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:56 AM   #9
ecperry

Herceptin

Julie,

Thank you so much for responding to my question about Herceptin. I am weighing the pros and the cons and trying to decide if taking it now after four years is worth the risk to my heart.

After reading your personal history, I can fully understand why you wouldn't hesitate to take Herceptin for however long they are willing to give it to you. I would do the same, and will in the future if needed.

Hopefully we will all live long enough to see a cure for breast cancer, or better yet a vaccine that will prevent it before it can get a foothold (like the recent discovery of a vaccine to prevent cervical cancer).

Wishing you the very best in the years to come.

Keep the faith,

Betsy