HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
kathyw

herceptin

Hello everyone. A dear friend of mine has been fighting breast cancer for the last year. I don't know the name of all the procedures she's had but I do know that she's taking herceptin. She just found out today that the cancer has spread to her brain. Has anyone heard about a new herceptin that hasn't been FDA approved yet that treats cancer on the brain? My friend made mention of it...but I don't know if she'll pursue it. If it's not been approved surely they make exceptions don't they????
kathyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
rinaina

Tykerb is the new drug I believe you are referring to. I don't think it is FDA approved yet in the states though but close to it perhaps. Tykerb reaches the brain where as herceptin doesn't. I believe but am not sure that not everyone can get this yet if they don't have any metastisizing going on but in the case of your friend, I think she is eligible maybe. Good luck to her and so sorry it spread to her brain. Tell her to fight and hang in there, it doesn't mean she won't be okay.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
RhondaH

Please see Joe's post on...

GSK Tykerb for compassionate use which is listed above (My computer wouldn't copy and paste).

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:16 PM   #4
Cathya

Lapatinib has been approved for compassionate use and if you go to the first post in this listing.....her2group listing you will see a post of same put up by Joe. Also, go to the main page and click on Community and then Members Stories....in there you will find Christines story. She is the founder of this site and around 6 years ago had mets to the brain. Please read her story and print it for your friend. It will give her hope....rightly so as remember there was no lapatinib which crosses the blood/brain barrier when she was fighting her brain mets. Never give up...there truly is hope for we her2+'s. There are many other stories if you do a search as well. I have also read somewhere where if they operate on the met (although Joe has many comments about less invasive treatments and should be consulted) they can soak the site in ...it's either herceptin or lapatinib....I can't remember where I read this but it is on the site somewhere. You are a wonderful friend.....god bless

Cathy
Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
Susan2

I truly feel for you and your friend. I'm going through this now. I'm about halfway through radiation and Temodar for apparent brain mets. It's terrifying but it's so much better now that ever before. Take a look at the following post. It gives new 3 year survival statistics as 63% with brain mets. http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=24057

(get those brain MRIs: they said it again in the ASCO 2006 Highlights section.)

Best of everything,
Susan
Susan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
kathyw

Thumbs up thank you

Thank you to everyone for the information shared. I've printed everything out and my friend in now armed with data to discuss with her doctor tomorrow. Kathy
kathyw is offline   Reply With Quote