HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
Sandy H

Smile My Special Day!

I wanted to share with you my special day this month. It is a little late but I have been very busy, started back on chemo this month, getting my husband ready for his knee replacement, along with him fighting this virus everyone has around here. Anyway, the special day was March 15th. It makes 5 years since my diagnose. I have had up and downs, it has not been without reocurrences (skin mets only)and in and out of chemo. I must say life has been good to me these 5 years and I am still here to enjoy it with family and friends. I am thankful and very fortunate to have a caring husband who also has his medical problems (both of us disabled and still in our 50's not fair but what else can we do)so we share our problems and are there for each other. We both have had doctor appointments on every special day this year. His birthday I had appointment, my birthday he had 1, Valentine's day he had 3, my diagnose anniversary mentioned above he had appointment, St Patrick's day I had 1. Now, to top it off his knee replacement is April 12th our 32nd anniversary. I am glad that Easter falls on Sunday in that way I am sure we will not have an appointment scheduled and hopefully, we can stay out of the E.R.!! We are not complaining, we are able to laugh about it and this has brought us closer together and has given us patience for each other as well as our space when we need it. Didn't mean to ramble on just want to say we are living life to the fullest we can. Hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #2
Maggie

Thumbs up Congratulations!!!

Sandy,

Sandy, What a beautiful letter! You have warmed my heart! I'm thrilled that you have been able to fight this disease for 5 years. I hope I'll be saying that in a few years myself.
also...
It's so good to hear two people loving and caring for each other as you both have done. Not an easy thing to manage when your both not feeling well. I do hope your husbands surgery goes well. Please keep us informed!

Maggie
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
sassy

Sandy,

Isn't it wonderful that life does go on...doctor's appointments and all. Glad you are enjoying it with your husband and enjoy tons more "apointments"!

Sassy
________
Nice Tits Live

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:44 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
lexigirl

Smile

Sandy,

5 years! That's terrific! I am glad that you are doing well and keeping a good sense of humor. Your husband sounds like a great guy.

I wish you many many more 5 year anniversaries!!

Love,
lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
Unregistered

Sandy,

I wish you many more anniversaries.

RB
Old 03-19-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
PatS

Congratulations Sandy!

Pat
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #7
Patty H

Boy do I understand the appointment part. We spent my husbands 50th birthday with our first visit to the oncoligist. Then it seemed that it happened more and more. My husband said he didn't like the birthday gifts I was giving him, he couldn't even exchange them. LOl We laugh a lot about that. It's been 5 1/2 years now. This year on his 56th birthday we are planning a cruise with the kids and grandkids. My daughter ask me if this was instead of the usual gifts or was I doing this plus the usual news! I said INSTEAD!! Right now for awhile I am stable for the first time. Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
madubois63

I am so glad you can laugh about this...Congratulations on your anniversary...may you and your hubby have many, many more!!!!
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #9
TriciaK

Thank you for your uplifting letter, Sandy! It is such a blessing that you have each other. It sounds like Patty is in the same boat! Congratulations to you both. Yes, it gets really old, all that time with "appointments"; it seems like we do a lot of that, too. But long ago we decided it didn't matter where we were as long as we were together. My wish for all of us is at least another 5 years. I am still going for at least 10. I gave it all some thought awhile back when my oncologist said I would probably have about a year ( that's better than the 3 months he first gave me!). I told him I would prove him wrong; he'd better plan on me being around at least another 5 years. It's been a year and a half now, NED for nearly 5 months, and he admits he's not going to make any more predictions for me! Anyway, I gave it some thought, as I said, and realized that at 76 I wasn't going to live forever. I thought about what I would want on my headstone, and decided that "2020" was a nice round date. Now we're told by the head of the Cancer Society that in 9 years cancer will be just another controllable disease. So 2020 doesn't seems so ridiculous after all! Hang in there, everybody! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:09 PM   #10
michele u

Smile

Happy 5 years Sandy!! You were one of the first stories i heard on this sight! i hope i can be here to tell everyone about my 5 years!!!!!!
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:00 PM   #11
Chelee

Hi Sandy, Your post is just what the doctor ordered for me tonight. I was feeling a bit down and depressed. I had landed in the hospital due to low wbc and had a 10 day stay there. Now I have been home recoverying. But now its time to start chemo back up tomorrow (Monday) and it just kind of got to me today. I WAS feeling Pretty good till reality kicked in today. Just feeling a bit over whelmed and afraid of getting pnemonia again or something else.
Plus being stage IIIA like so many others here...I have my up and down days like most of you do.

But your post tonight sure made me feel so much better. :-) Thanks so much for sharing your story. Five years...big congratulations. It gives me the hope I need.

I know what you mean about all the appointments being on anniversarys, valentines day, etc. Since I was diagnosed...every single appointment almost has been on a holiday of some kind. Valentines Day I had three appointments that day. Fun. But at least I was still her to go to them.

But thanks for cheering me up tonight. I really needed that. God Bless you.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:10 AM   #12
lindaw

Well done Sandy. Thanks for sharing with us - gives me ( a skin mets person who is feeling low lately) hope.

love
Linda
lindaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:44 PM   #13
Sandy H

Thank you all for your replies! Patty H. have a great cruise! You will make it to 5 years and then I can read your story. Tricia you are great! Isn't it amazing how tough we become these days? Life goes on, we keep fighting and seeking out positive people like the Her2 family here. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all got together on a cruise, any place would be special just to share our feelings and our battle on this journey. My husband and I just got back from Destin, Florida, we didn't do anything big but just getting away from appointments did so much for us. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #14
Tami

Happy Annviersary Sandy and thank you for inspiring us with your attitude, fortitude and humor...no need to apologize for rambling -I wanted to hear more!
Tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #15
Esther

5 years Sandy, that's great! I'm coming up on 2 1/2 years, would loveto be posting a 5 year message in a couple of years!
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:23 PM   #16
Lolly

Hey Sandy, sorry this is late but I want to add my congratulations on your milestone!
You've been a constant inspiration to all of us, and it's so good of you to share your special day with us

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:42 PM   #17
Barbara H.

Hi Sandy,
Congratuations to you both and thank you for sharing your stories. My internet has had some problems, which is why I haven't posted. Thinking about dates: I have an MRI this Thursday and will then spend all Friday afternoon with my husband in the brain clinic awaiting my results. On Friday we will be married 34 years. I hope we have a few more.
Best wishes,
Barbara
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote