HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #1
Esther

Going off of Decadron

Has anyone gone off of steroids? I was on Decadron for about a month total, once my brain lesion was found, and 2 weeks after the X-knife procedure. The Dr. didn't think I would have side effects going off the steroids after only a month.

But I feel sort of...I don't know...light headed, slightly sick, and my legs ache a bit. I'm not sure if maybe I'm coming down with a cold or something or if it's from going off the Decadron. Maybe I'm going off them too fast?

I was on 4mg and cut the dose in half then just stopped altogether.

On the positive side, the Cedars-Sinai Dr's don't need to see me for 2 months. I'll have an MRI in 2 months before I go back for a re-check. I was so happy!! Now I can forget about it for 2 months.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
StephN

Talking Going off steroids

can be a little tricky. I cut in half from 4 mg and then in half again for 3 days and then in half again. A slow wean is the best. Was down to taking a quarter of a pill at the end.
After my first cut my legs ached like devils were poking them with pins. I had to go back to reg dose for another day and cut more slowly. Then all went well.

The main complaint I recall from all the ladies here who took the Dec. is weakness in their legs. This is been the main problem for me to rehab from and basically took most of last year to get over. NO spring in my step after steroids.

So, I am not at all surprised that you feel as you do. I think you stopped a little too fast.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:07 PM   #3
Esther

Thanks Steph, I'm starting to feel better, so I think I was feeling side effects of going off the decadron.

I just didn't like taking it, so I probably stopped a little too fast.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
HavahJ

decadron

Whoever told you that going off decadron has no side effects is either lying or uninformed! I've taken decadron many times for M.S. It gives you a kind of mild high when you're on it but dizziness, weakness and depression when you go off. Try to go off very slow a little at a time - that makes the side effects much easier to take.
HavahJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #5
Esther

Havah, you're right, I don't think the Dr's are as well informed as they should be about this.

The symptoms I experienced were pretty much what you described. I'm pretty much over it now, but it wasn't pleasant for a few days there.

Apparently anything you take for over 2 weeks can have side effects when you stop taking it.