HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
Unregistered

Post Herceptin & flu shot/ and heart protection

Hello everyone! I read the previous post regarding the flu shot and I was wondering if that was the general recommendation to get one? I had A/C and am on herceptin weekly for a year. And if anyone has been told to get the pneumonia shot?? Also, what are most of you doing to protect your heart while on herceptin? For example, does exercise help? And what vitamins are a good idea? I very much appreciate your thoughts and advice! Thanks!! Much luck and good wishes to you all!
Old 11-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
Barbara

Flue & Pneumonia Shot

Hi:

I am on Herceptin only at this time and was also last year during the fall. My oncologist recommended that I receive the flu vaccine each year. He also has the vaccine available in his office for patients which was helpful last year when there was a shortage of vaccine. My internist recommend that I get a pneumonia shot. She recommend it although guidelines don't recommend the pneumonia shot until you are sixty as it will require a booster after a period of time. I can't remember if it is 5 or ten years. My internist recommend the pneumonia shot because the newer strains of this bacteria are very agressive. She said that she has seen cases where patient's don't respond to the first commonly used antibiotic for this bacteria, die before a change in antibiotic can be effective. My internist's fellowship was in infectious diseases. She said it is better to get the pneumonia shot now and have to get a couple of boosters in your life time. I had no problems with either vaccines but you should ask your oncolgoist his/her opinion.

Barbara
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:04 PM   #3
al from Canada

I wasn't aware that there was a pnuemonia shot...anyone know if it is available in Canada?

Al
Old 11-08-2005, 06:10 PM   #4
Lolly

Al, here's a link to a site about guidelines for the vaccine in Canada:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/iyh-vsv/med/pneum_e.html

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:42 PM   #5
Berta

I don't know for sure if exercise helps protect the heart but my Ejection Fraction before Chemo was 61,following Chemo was 50 and the first two Muga's after Hercepton were also 50. I have been walking 3 miles at least 5 days a week and last week I had another muga. the Ejection Fraction was 60. I don't have anything but my own thoughts and experience to back it up, but I would say that exercise is the way to go. BERTA
Berta is offline   Reply With Quote