HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-11-2005, 06:55 AM   #1
sassy

new eye glasses

Just prior to surgery I had an appointment to update by prescription for eye glasses. However, it was recommended to me to wait until after chemo, as this could effect my vision. I fininshed chemo in August, but still seem to have some effect on vision from Herceptin. Has anyone else had this experience. Not sure what to do about new glasses. I need them, but cannot afford to get new ones now, then have my vision change again from continued herceptin. Thanks for any "insight".

Sassy
________
COLORADO MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:33 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:08 AM   #2
Maryanne

Hi Sassy,

I have also been putting off getting new glasses. My eyesight still isnt back to normal. I finished chemo in May of this year still on Herceptin til next April. My onc feels I should give it alittle more time as the chemo "damage" takes longer to heal than we think. I just keep reminding my self that this too shall pass

Hope this helped,
Mayanne
Maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #3
Ginagce

Eyesight

Hello Sassy. Yes, my eyesight has changed drastically since chemo. I finished in Feb 05 and decided to wait to see if things changed but to date they've not. So I'm going to go ahead and get my prescription changed because I am having a hard time seeing street signs, reading etc.

Best to you! Hopefully we'll all get our "old" eyesight back eventually!

Gina
Ginagce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
anne

Hi there,
My mom also had some changes in vision. She is taking a lot of B vitamins to improve vision and it seems to be better now a year after chemo. Have your eyes checked just to be on the safe side and you may be able to put of buying new glasses.
Good luck
Anne
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:14 PM   #5
jojo

Cool Me too! Forgin' ahead, anyway....

Vision has become a bit blurry as of late. It was just about the same time as I began Xeloda. Clinic says it is all due to many med combos. No idea what is the cause.

Since I have VSP (eyeglasses insurance), I'll order one for this year. I haven't gotten to exhaust this year yet, and we have only less than 2 months left until we ring in the New Year! Should I need a stronger Rx, I'll request another one for 2006.

Happy shopping! :-)

1st Dx: May '03 at age 35
Stage 3b
6cm IDC tumor
17/18 + nodes
Neoadjuvant: 4x A/C dose dense; 12x weekly Taxol & weekly Herceptin
Left Mastectomy: Nov '03
27x Rads
Stage 4 since June '04
Still on maintenance Herceptin since the very beginning
Currently on Abraxane (3 weeks / 1 week off)
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 05:36 PM   #6
Maggie in Maryland

eyesight

Sassy,

My vision changed drastically since treatment, but the reason was because of the steroids I was on for two years. It seems that prednisone exacerbates cateracts. I was prescibed high doses of prednisone for radiation pneumonitis. My opthomologist kept giving me prescriptions every few months for strongher glasses. I was fortunate to go to For Eyes Optical. They have (had?) a policy that if a customer needed new lenses within six months (or perhaps it was within four months?) that they would make the new lenses free of charge. Finally, I submitted to cataract surgery one year ago so I now have 20/20 vision in one eye. The dr. wants to do my other eye, but I decided I am happy with my vision the way it is.

Good luck,
Maggie in Maryland
Maggie in Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:54 PM   #7
Unregistered

I too have vision problems. It is not all the time. Some days its just fine and others I can not read the newspaper and I have to use a magnifying glass. I just don't know how new glasses would help because of the daily changes. I do have a cat. started on one eye. The strange thing was this morning when I got up my eyes were as clear as could be and I was walking around the house with no glasses. It didn't last but sure was nice for a short time. I usually can not see anything without my bifocals. I am on Herceptin. I was off chemo for 10 months and it never cleared up but didn't seem as bad. I did have an exam this past spring and it happened the day I had it my eyes were fine. So did not get new glasses so will go again next year. Don't know what would happen if I had it on the bad day. If its not one thing its something else. hugs, Sandy
Old 11-13-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
sassy

Thanks for your replies. Any of you on Herceptin long term have any info or advice you can share on vision changes with Herceptin?

Sassy
________
Glass Bubblers

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:34 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote