HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
suzan w

I am in the midst of 6 rounds of A/C (heading for #3 tomorrow). I have been so sick for the past 10 days with an "infection of unknown origin" (I love doctor-speak) to ER, 2 dr. visits, can't get off couch, high temp, antibiotics-I don't want to whine!!...ANYWAY...as I head out tomorrow for dose#3 I am wondering if making myself so sick with chemo is really worth the 5%-10% increase in survival rate over the long term, coupled with the 5%-10% rate of long term-complications. Somehow it all seems like a wash to me. Looking for some words from you all as to how you suffered thru chemo and is it really worth the chemo-symptoms? Also a candidate for Herceptin, which onc. will be happy to give me "after chemo"-like my lollipop for being a good girl!AND lastly, anyone ever have herceptin WITHOUT the chemo, etc. first? Thanks!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 09:01 PM   #2
athena453

Suzan,
I am so sorry you are dealing with this! I have just finished 4 dose dense AC myself and the last two were not kind to me. I can't imagine dealing with hospital visits on top of the nausea. Are they giving you Neulasta? I had to get a shot after each treatment, and I was also lucky enough to stay at home and rest.

As far as nausea goes, I have tried to keep fluids in my system at all times. I took the nausea meds before nausea set in and resorted to suppositories when really desperate.

Think of it this way...If you didn't do the chemo, you will always wonder if you should have.
This way, no regrets!
AM
Old 09-06-2005, 04:42 AM   #3
Janet/FL

Hi Suzan
You did not say anything about your tumor. What size, had it spread, Er/Pr + or -. I take it that you are Her2+.
I had IDC 9mm tumor, ER/PR - Her2, Fish positive, node negative, lumpectomy December of 2004.
I felt that at best, A/C would give me a 10% chance of improvement and my doctor would not give me Herceptin. (He still won't so I switched oncologists.)
I thought of this as a game of playing Russian Roulette with a revolver that had 10 chambers. Eight of the ten chambers were empty. One bullet was going to remain in the gun no matter what I did. I could remove one bullet by taking A/C. I chose not to take it. I felt it would do horrible things to my body.
On the other hand, last month I finally found an oncologist that would prescribe Herceptin and I was given the choice with or without chemo. I chose the chemo. Taxotere. I also chose to go everyweek in hopes that it would lesson the impact on my body. So far I am doing all right with the worst reaction happening after the first infusion.
It is your body. You have to decide what you think is best. No one has a crystal ball. Perhaps you will get to feeling better with each treatment as your body learns to adjust to the chemicals coming in.
Wishing you the best,
Hugs,
Janet/FL
Old 09-06-2005, 11:13 PM   #4
suzan w

Hi Janet dx'd May 05, Invasive lobular-left breast...biopsy removed 8mm tumor and some LCIS. I, after lots of research and soul searching opted for prophylactic bilateral mastectomy-done June 14th. Node negative. ER+PR+, Her2++.then had bone scan-neg. C T scan-neg, MRI-neg. No further cancer anywhere...I think good, I am done. Then find out about OncotypeDX-to predict future recurrance probabilities...my test comes back showing a high-intermediate risk of recurrance in next 10 years. Hmmmmmm.Oc. says chemo will give me 5%-!)5 improval rate over recurrance risk. I am very concerned about side effects of A/C MUGA is good. I decide, like you, Russian Roulette...and start chemo. Now...you know the rest. I have not had nausea at all! Only ALL other weird/rare side effects listed...including this damned infeection that I still can't kick...even on last day of heavty duty antibiotic.Tomorrow will go for blood work and will grill onc. with ????'s!!! She is very open to herceptin...as I mentioned before. Thanks for listening!!!ps. where in FL? I moved here to WA after being trashed by Hurricane Charley last summer in Port Charlotte!!!