HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
Tom

Some may have seen earlier posts concerning my Mom, and her latest struggle to receive quality treatment. She had her original tumor resected July-04, and we found she had axillary node involvement this April-05. The subsequent axillary dissection in May revealed 12/20 positive nodes, HER2+3, ER-, PR-. She is on her fourth week of Herceptin as of this Friday. Before the first Herceptin dosing, I requested the oncologist do the Bayer HER2 SERUM ELISA to establish a baseline. He agreed, though seemed to know very little about the test. I was told the following week when we went for the second Herceptin infusion, that the lab had refused to have the test performed, saying that it was a test that was used only as a last resort, after other blood testing had been done. No one could give me a more detailed explanation of their reasons for refusing to have the test performed.
This, as has many other answers I have listened to during Mom's various treatments/diagnostics, infuriated me. It is common practice to utilize the HER2 SERUM ELISA to establish a baseline, to be followed up during Herceptin therapy, to monitor her response to the drug. Now, I have to sit down and call who knows how many bureaucrats to get Mom the test she needs to find the best treatment. This just shouldn't be so hard. If anyone has had any similar experiences and can offer advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Below is a section of a research abstract describing the use of Bayer's HER2/neu SERUM ELISA test.

Serum HER-2/neu Research Studies
1 Esteva FJ, Cheli CD, Fritsche H, et al. Clinical Utility of Serum HER-2/neu in Monitoring and Prediction of Progression-free Survival in Metastatic Breast Cancer Patients Treated with Trastuzamab-based Therapies. Breast Cancer Res. 2005;7(4):R436-R443

ABSTRACTINTRODUCTION: The purpose of this retrospective study was to determine the clinical utility of serum HER2/neu in monitoring metastatic breast cancer patients undergoing trastuzumab-based therapy and to compare these results with those obtained using cancer antigen (CA) 15-3. We also sought to determine whether early changes in serum HER2/neu concentrations could be a predictor of progression-free survival. METHODS: Sera were obtained retrospectively from 103 women at four medical institutions. Patients eligible for participation were women with metastatic breast cancer who had HER2/neu tissue overexpression and were scheduled to be treated with trastuzumab with or without additional therapies as per the established practices of the treating physicians. A baseline serum sample for each patient was taken before trastuzumab-based therapy was started. Patients were subsequently monitored over 12 to 20 months and serum samples were taken at the time of clinical assessment and tested with Bayer's HER2/neu and CA15-3 assays. RESULTS: Concordance between clinical status in patients undergoing trastuzumab-based treatment and HER2/neu and CA15-3 used as single tests was 0.793 and 0.627, respectively, and increased to 0.829 when the tests were used in combination. Progression-free survival times did not differ significantly in patients with elevated baseline HER2/neu concentrations (¡Ý 15 ng/mL) and those with normal concentrations (<15 ng/mL). However, progression-free survival differed significantly (P = 0.043) according to whether the patient's HER2/neu concentration at 2 to 4 weeks after the start of therapy was >77% or ¡Ü 77% of her baseline concentration. The median progression-free survival times for these two groups were 217 and 587 days, respectively. A similar trend was observed for a subcohort of patients treated specifically with a combination of trastuzumab and taxane. CONCLUSION: These findings indicate that serum HER2/neu testing is clinically valuable in monitoring metastatic breast cancer patients undergoing trastuzumab-based treatment and provides additional value over the commonly used CA15-3 test. The percentage of baseline HER2/neu concentrations in the early weeks after the start of therapy may be an early predictor of progression-free-survival.
2 Fornier MN, Seidman AD, Schwartz MK, et al. Serum HER2 extracellular domain in metastatic breast cancer patients treated with weekly trastuzumab and paclitaxel: association with HER2 status by immunohistochemistry and fluorescence in situ hybridization and with response rate. Ann Oncol. 2005 Feb;16(2):234-9.
ABSTRACTPURPOSE: We explored the relationship between circulating HER2 extracellular domain (ECD) and tissue HER2 status as determined by immunohistochemistry (IHC) and fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH). We also examined its predictive value in a cohort of metastatic breast cancer patients treated with weekly trastuzumab and paclitaxel. METHODS: Eligible patients had pre- and post-treatment stored serum specimens and were treated on a previously reported phase II trial. Retrospective analysis evaluated: the association between pretreatment serum HER2 ECD and tissue HER2 status by IHC and FISH; and the association between change in serum HER2 ECD after 12 weeks of therapy and response proportion. RESULTS: Stored serum samples were available for 55/95 (58%) patients. Statistically significant associations were found between HER2 status as assessed by IHC and FISH, and baseline serum HER2 ECD level. Patients whose ECD normalized after 12 weeks of therapy had a higher response proportion compared with patients with persistently high ECD levels (68% versus 15%, P=0.005). A relative decline of over 55% from baseline HER2 ECD predicted response to therapy. CONCLUSION: A statistically significant association was observed between pretreatment serum HER2 ECD and tissue HER2 status as assessed by IHC and FISH. A decrease in serum HER2 ECD level was a significant predictor of response to trastuzumab-based therapy.

Serum HER-2/neu Research Studies
1 Esteva FJ, Cheli CD, Fritsche H, et al. Clinical Utility of Serum HER-2/neu in Monitoring and Prediction of Progression-free Survival in Metastatic Breast Cancer Patients Treated with Trastuzamab-based Therapies. Breast Cancer Res. 2005;7(4):R436-R443
ABSTRACTINTRODUCTION: The purpose of this retrospective study was to determine the clinical utility of serum HER2/neu in monitoring metastatic breast cancer patients undergoing trastuzumab-based therapy and to compare these results with those obtained using cancer antigen (CA) 15-3. We also sought to determine whether early changes in serum HER2/neu concentrations could be a predictor of progression-free survival. METHODS: Sera were obtained retrospectively from 103 women at four medical institutions. Patients eligible for participation were women with metastatic breast cancer who had HER2/neu tissue overexpression and were scheduled to be treated with trastuzumab with or without additional therapies as per the established practices of the treating physicians. A baseline serum sample for each patient was taken before trastuzumab-based therapy was started. Patients were subsequently monitored over 12 to 20 months and serum samples were taken at the time of clinical assessment and tested with Bayer's HER2/neu and CA15-3 assays. RESULTS: Concordance between clinical status in patients undergoing trastuzumab-based treatment and HER2/neu and CA15-3 used as single tests was 0.793 and 0.627, respectively, and increased to 0.829 when the tests were used in combination. Progression-free survival times did not differ significantly in patients with elevated baseline HER2/neu concentrations (¡Ý 15 ng/mL) and those with normal concentrations (<15 ng/mL). However, progression-free survival differed significantly (P = 0.043) according to whether the patient's HER2/neu concentration at 2 to 4 weeks after the start of therapy was >77% or ¡Ü 77% of her baseline concentration. The median progression-free survival times for these two groups were 217 and 587 days, respectively. A similar trend was observed for a subcohort of patients treated specifically with a combination of trastuzumab and taxane. CONCLUSION: These findings indicate that serum HER2/neu testing is clinically valuable in monitoring metastatic breast cancer patients undergoing trastuzumab-based treatment and provides additional value over the commonly used CA15-3 test. The percentage of baseline HER2/neu concentrations in the early weeks after the start of therapy may be an early predictor of progression-free-survival.
2 Fornier MN, Seidman AD, Schwartz MK, et al. Serum HER2 extracellular domain in metastatic breast cancer patients treated with weekly trastuzumab and paclitaxel: association with HER2 status by immunohistochemistry and fluorescence in situ hybridization and with response rate. Ann Oncol. 2005 Feb;16(2):234-9.
ABSTRACTPURPOSE: We explored the relationship between circulating HER2 extracellular domain (ECD) and tissue HER2 status as determined by immunohistochemistry (IHC) and fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH). We also examined its predictive value in a cohort of metastatic breast cancer patients treated with weekly trastuzumab and paclitaxel. METHODS: Eligible patients had pre- and post-treatment stored serum specimens and were treated on a previously reported phase II trial. Retrospective analysis evaluated: the association between pretreatment serum HER2 ECD and tissue HER2 status by IHC and FISH; and the association between change in serum HER2 ECD after 12 weeks of therapy and response proportion. RESULTS: Stored serum samples were available for 55/95 (58%) patients. Statistically significant associations were found between HER2 status as assessed by IHC and FISH, and baseline serum HER2 ECD level. Patients whose ECD normalized after 12 weeks of therapy had a higher response proportion compared with patients with persistently high ECD levels (68% versus 15%, P=0.005). A relative decline of over 55% from baseline HER2 ECD predicted response to therapy. CONCLUSION: A statistically significant association was observed between pretreatment serum HER2 ECD and tissue HER2 status as assessed by IHC and FISH. A decrease in serum HER2 ECD level was a significant predictor of response to trastuzumab-based therapy.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
*_TriciaK_*

Dear Tom, My oncologist didn't exactly refuse the serum test, but said something like "maybe we'll check it out." He said he had never heard of it! Nothing was ever done. I am printing out your information about it and taking it in next Tuesday when I see him. I'll let you know what he says and does. Thanks! TriciaK
Old 07-21-2005, 03:28 PM   #3
Lisa

Tom,

Look back on the July 5 and July 14 postings from me re: the Bayer test. Dr. Carney would be happy to answer any question you may have.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 07-22-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
jessica

how frustrating! my onc hadn't heard of the test either...i always find that so annoying when i'm doing the educating regarding my care, BUT if that's what we have to do...i just wish some one would pay me for my work too!
if your mom's onc did in fact order the test, the lab CAN NOT make an independent decision NOT to follow the orders. BUT did the insurance company refuse to pay for it?
try & get a copy of the orders the onc wrote, listing all the tests that the lab was to perform. if the test was ordered then you have some ammo to take with you when you call the folks at the lab. they'll have to give you a reason why they didn't follow the doc's orders.
good luck!
Old 07-25-2005, 08:30 AM   #5
SusanAnne

Perhaps the lab doesn't have the equipment to perform the test (I think you need a particular device?) Try another lab.

Susan
Old 07-26-2005, 08:01 AM   #6
Christine

Tom,

We are working on your problem. Please email me your email address and phone number.

Warmest Regards
Joe

joe@her2support.org
Old 08-11-2005, 12:56 AM   #7
Gina

RE: Serum Her-2 Test

Dear Friend,

You are at least the 7th person this week who has told me that their onc's REFUSED them this test!!!! I am so outraged for you. I have had to beg borrow and practically "steal" to get this number taken regularly. In the early days, my onc made me sign a formal agreement that I would pay the $150 bucks for it from Specialty Labs, back in 2003. It has long since now been a STANDARD test on both LABCORBS and QUEST LABs books for at least 2 years...and is NO MORE DIFFICULT than measuring your liver enzymes or anything else. THAT Doctors are uninformed about this LIFE SAVING, cost effective test is ridiculous. HERE are some tips though. If your mother's onc REFUSES...no big deal..ask her PRIMARY care to simply write down the words: Serial Serum Her-2 on his/her Rx pad and then take the prescription to the lab that her insurance covers and they will look it up in the book, get the number and drawn the blood (which does have to go through the centrifuge and be frozen ASAP as the marker deteriorates rapidly...sighhhh). Also, I HIGHLY recommend that you chart both the CA 27/29 and the serum her-2 on a REGULAR basis...taking the blood at the SAME time and NEVER AFTER a herceptin infusion....If you need more ways to get at these tests email me direct at GPOPP@Comcast.com. Best of luck to you both, Gina