HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2005, 08:03 AM   #1
Cheryl

Could those of you on Arimidex or other AI please comment on side effects?
I have some pretty nasty things on another message board that are scaring me a bit as I look to begin using them. Several comments about emotional stuff, which I am not prone to normally, serious weight gain, other physical side effects....I consider you guys the "experts". Please say it isn't so!
Thanks
Old 07-30-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
Esther

When I was on Arimidex, I felt like I was 105 years old. The joint aches were so awful when I got out of bed in he morning!

I'm now on Aromasin, and have no side effects that I can tell. Everyone reacts differently to AI's, so you might be a lucky one with no side effects.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:16 AM   #3
Montana

I've been on Arimidex for about 2 months. Not too much pain in joints...just occasional sharp pain in legs that doesn't last long. I haven't gained any weight but, I am trying very hard not to. I have noticed just this week that my cheeks are starting to wrinkle pretty badly. Makes me look much older than my almost 55 years....drat! Emotionally, I'm doing fine but I've been on Effexor since dx last October.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:01 AM   #4
Becky

I have been on Arimidex 2 months now. I am 46. I occassionally get hot flashes and night sweats first thing in the morning (I take it just before bed). But I don't get it all the time. I have had no weight gain (but I didn't when I was on tamoxifen either). I am an avid walker/runner though (maybe that helps but I don't know). I really have had no problems.

My girlfriend from our hospital support group (who is 48) just switched to Arimidex from Tamoxifen and got depressed for 2 weeks but it passed and she is fine. She was highly ER/PR positive but not HER 2 positive. I am moderately hormone positive (50%ER and 5% PR). I don't know if that makes a difference in one's reaction to the drug???

Hope this helps. AI's are supposed to be better if you are hormone positive and especially better if you are also HER2 positive so I would try them. Try one and if you have too many side effects, then try another. There are 3 - Arimidex, Aromosin, and Femara. Look on those websites and see if one has less side effects than another or discuss with a pharmacist.

Best regards,

Becky
Old 07-30-2005, 01:11 PM   #5
Jan

I have been on femara for about 10 months have had no problems. My onc. said femara is better with side effects then arimedex. I previously took tamox. for 5 years with another cancer .
I had a few hot flashes nothing major.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:56 PM   #6
*_Bevie_*

Hi Cheryl, I took Tamoxifen for 8 months to many side effects switched to Arimidex for the past 3 1/2 yrs I have lost weight and didn't have too many side effects worst being insomnia, and super dry everywhere. Then this past year started having joint pain in neck, back, and knee Onc did bone scan, the scan showed arthritis which I hadn't had in the past, I'm 54 and now wondering if the Arimidex might have contributed to the arthritis??? I have been taking a break from the Arimidex for 3 weeks still have the insomnia, joint pain a little better.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:30 PM   #7
Doris

I have been on Arimidex for 4 months and have joint pain, mainly in hands and feet. Also, I have pretty bad insomnia. I may try to change to another Aromase inhibitor because the side effects are significant.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:21 PM   #8
jojo

It is extremely important that we try to keep our bones / joints, since bone loss is one side effect of menopause. Unfortunately, osteoporosis is evitable. To better our bone strength, we take ~1,000mg (or a little higher) Calcium pills with vitamin D daily. Exercise is another alternative to keep bones stronger.

But I am not sure about arthiris -- is it one of the early phases in osteoporosis?....
Old 08-02-2005, 09:36 AM   #9
Debs

Hi ya

I have been on Arimidex 7 months now - must admit do get joint pains. Havn't gained any weight, nor any more emotional than beofe - but everyone does react differently. I believe that it is working so I try and keep that thought in my head when joints hurt as without this and hereceptine - I would be playing a totally different ball game with quality of life.

Take care
Old 08-03-2005, 03:23 PM   #10
Roz

Hi, I've been on Arimidex since early Jan 2005. I have joint twinges from time to time and my nails have become very soft and split. I used to have great nails. I don't know whether it's the Arimidex or the Herceptin. I put on a little weight, but nothing too drastic. Go for it. Roz