HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-21-2004, 04:41 AM   #1
Steph N

Gals - you are definitely NOT alone.
When I ended the long weekly routine of Taxol/Navelbine and Herceptin, I had sore and stiff joints just about everywhere. Also, muscle weakness (could not open a jar, for example).
I was put on Celebrex at the time of ending chemos as an anti-cancer possibility 2 years ago.
This pain and stiffness gradually got better, and my stamina slowly increased. I got to where things were pretty good for quite a long time. Then in January I started having problems with ONLY my wrists and hands. Joints and connective tissues swell and and painful. This is intermittent and I am trying to pin down if anything in particular sets it off. Seems to be when I am more active, like lifting things, ironing, or working in the gardens.
Two weeks ago I had my worst case of this problem. The swelling moves around from joint to joint and from one hand to the other. My right index finger got got so bad it looked like a sausage - could not even see a wrinkle over the joints! Knuckle at the hand was puffed up at least by half again. Could not even drive for a day.
All the time I am taking my Celebrex night and morning as well as Naproxen 500 mg.
I will see my GP on Monday and see what he has to say or what tests he will order.
I kind of hope the cause is something other than Herceptin ... ;(
Old 05-21-2004, 06:56 AM   #2
lindaw

Dear Stephanie
is celebrex like ibuprofen - does it have cancer preventative properties? I am waiting a trial and just on herceptin ( reoccurrring scar line stuff) and have been taking ibuprofenas well as I hear it is anti- inflammatory and could be preventative. What do you think?

love
lindaw
Old 05-21-2004, 09:00 AM   #3
Sandy

You may have fibromyalgia (FMS). I have it and it can be nasty. I have just had a flair up from having lymphedema treatments which they told me may happen. I got up this morning and felt like a mack truck ran over all my muscles and joints. May want to ask you PC about this. I believe there is a blood test they can do now. When I was dx. 6 years ago it was done by using the trigger point method. You can do some research on it on the internet. A large percentage of people, mostly women, have this syndrome. It usually is caused from truma. I got it after I had a hysterectomy in 97. Just an idea I wanted to throw out for you. Hugs, Sandy
Old 05-21-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
Steph N

This is from the Celebrex website:

"cyclooxygenase (COX)
An enzyme that produces substances called prostaglandins. One such enzyme, COX-1, helps maintain the proper functions of the stomach and intestinal lining, the platelets, and the kidneys. A second form, COX-2, is not normally present in most tissues, but is made at sites of inflammation and contributes to inflammation and pain."

The importance of the above is that Celebrex acts to supress the COX-2 enzyme. This drug is a kind of antiinflammatory, but may not work exactly the same way as ibuprofin. My doctor wanted me on this as there is anecdotal evidence that inhibiting the COX-2 will also inhibit the cancer. I guess this was the drug of choice since I do not normally have swelling or inflammation of any kind.
Hope this helps answer your question. Keep up the great work!