HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-24-2004, 08:18 PM   #1
Beatrice

Following unsuccesful treatment with Navelbine (which stopped working after a while) and then Cisplatin, I have now been put on Herceptin+Xeloda.
Doctors here though, do not seem to know much about this combination, her+xeloda.
Can you tell me the dosage you were given? And for how long? Can you tell me where I can find more info? I look forward to hearing from you Thank you so much - Beatrice
Old 10-24-2004, 10:56 PM   #2
Terri

I don't know too much about Xeloda except what I've researched on the net, and of course what I've experienced.

I've been on Herceptin for a year and a half. I was on Taxol, cytoxin and Herceptin, that worked well, and I was herceptin only for 6 months. When my markers went up, they added Taxotere, and this did not work at all. They discovered brain mets in June of this year, and put me on Xeloda, as it might cross the blood brain barrier. I had WBR, then they added the herceptin back in. So now I'm on xeloda, herceptin. I'm taking 6 pills a day, so 3000 mg. I'm just starting to get the dry hands syndrome, but not bad. I have some loss of appetite, but after gaining 40 lbs while on Decadron, I don't mind losing a little weight. All in all I feel good while on it. It's two weeks on one week off. I get Herceptin every week. And, my tumor markers keep dropping, so that's good.
Good luck!
Terri
Old 10-25-2004, 12:19 AM   #3
beatrice

Thank you Terri! And good luck!
Love, Beatrice
Old 10-25-2004, 05:59 AM   #4
lindaw

Dear Beatrice
I am currently on my 5th round of herceptin & xeloda. It has been very effective for me as it has gooten rid of skin mets and a little lump on my scarf line.
I have had the hand and foot thingy - they have both peeled and now my hands are very red and I have had spots on my hands and arms.
I am on 3000 a day - started on 3500.
I feel fine - have one day stomach upset generally the day after I finish.
It is spring here now and am hoping for it to remain cool until summer when I need to were shorted sleeves ( the red dots look yucky).
Apart from that I am well - and fit.
I( feel safe now cause I am on chemo but always feel a litle scared when I am getting near time to get off and then it is watch and wait. I have not had a break from chemo since diagnosis in Oct 2002. This is about the time it reoccurs (4 months) but am hoping this is the drug that will put me in remission for longer..
Good luck and please feel free to ask any more questions.
love
lindaw
Old 10-25-2004, 10:08 PM   #5
Beatrice

Linda, thanks for yourinfo. I think they will put me on the same dose. Can you tell me also, how do you feel while you are taking the pills, during those days? Tired, nausea?
Thanks! Beatrice
Old 10-26-2004, 06:01 AM   #6
lindaw

Dear Beatrice
No I haven't expereinced any nausea whilst taking the tablets - maybe a little tired now but I also have allergic asthma and a cold so am really unusually tired today and debating about having a sick day but too much to do at work,
love
LInda
Old 10-26-2004, 10:02 AM   #7
velva

I took Xeloda & Herceptin/wkly since Feb.2004 til my pericardial effusion 2wks ago. Was working on skin mets & tumour markers slowly, had to be off 2x due to hand/foot syndrome. Also, it enhances coumadin & can sneak up on you.
I developed a small neck tumour,under skin June 1, 2004 & scans weren't picking it up first, now sure it's the same BC, also brain met that didn't know was there in Jan. 04 has while on xeloda -slowly thank god.
I hope this helps. What works for one of us doesn't work for all of us - seems to be trial & error. Remember the CellSearch test recently FDA approved, might be be helpful. Best to you, Velva
Old 10-27-2004, 04:31 AM   #8
beatrice

Thank you Velva. You are right, medicines do not work the same way on all of us...
Anyway, can you give me more info., or where I could find more info on the CellSearch test? Thanks! Beatrice