HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-21-2006, 03:56 AM   #1
RhondaH

Thumbs up Healthy Eating Program

As many of you know, I am a strong advocate of the "Breast Cancer Diet" by Diana Dyer. I also know that dietary changes can be very callenging (this is the ONLY diet that has worked for me AND that I could stick to...except the SEE food diet. Diana has directed my attention to the WHEL study which focuses on long term survival after bc AND diet/exercise and which the results will come out sometime next year. In looking for updates on the study I found that one of the facilities running the study has a program designed to help survivors and I wanted to pass it on to you. If you want to make changes, but are finding it difficult, you may want to check into the program. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

http://www.healthyeating.ucsd.edu/pages/he.htm

WHEL Study (Women’s Healthy Eating and Living Study)

Over 3,000 women - survivors of breast cancer - throughout Arizona, California, Oregon, and Texas are currently involved in this 10-year clinical trial, designed to determine the role that diet plays in preventing or delaying breast cancer recurrence. A telephone counseling program based on social cognitive theory was developed for the WHEL Study, and this program has been successful in helping intervention group participants adopt and maintain a cancer-prevention diet. The WHEL Study operates through seven clinical sites located in four states, and is managed by the WHEL Coordinating Center in the Cancer Prevention and Control Program at the Moores UCSD Cancer Canter. This investigation includes detailed dietary analyses, as well as biological information from blood and tissue samples. Although the main focus of the study is investigating the diet-cancer link, we are also collecting information on quality of life, physical activity, family cancer history, lymphedema, bone health, and many other variables that will help advance research in areas that are important to cancer survivors. The National Cancer Institute is funding the WHEL Study. Analysis of the study data will occur in 2007.

Last edited by RhondaH; 01-21-2006 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: Addition
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote