HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-15-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
julierene

Genetics are a CRAP shoot!

My story is a long one. Here it is in shortened version:

1. Grandfather died from liver cancer in his 40's.
2. Grandmother's sister died from uterine cancer.
3. Mother dx with early stage IDC at age 28 while pregnant with my brother.
Had baby, went through mastectomy and chemo.
4. Mother dx in other breast with different IDC at age 30, lymph nodes involved. More chemo, another surgery, and radiation.
5. Mother dx with mets at age 33, more chemo, died 4 months later.
6. Grandmother dx with BC, had a mastectomy, chemotherapy, and no recurrance.
7. Brother dx with rhabdomyosarcoma (soft tissue cancer) at age 5.
8. Brother dx with metastatic rhabdo at age 11, died at age 12.
9. Me at age 28, dx with early stage IDC of 2cm, ER/PR-, HER2+++, 0 lymph nodes, 4 rounds dose-dense 2 week A/C, with Taxotere six months later. (Onc finally gave in) I thought I was close enough to stage 1, that I never thought I would be dealing with this again. I had ER+ DCIS in my other breast too.
10. Daughter dx with adrenal cancer at age 5. Surgery alone was recommended by St. Judes. Kidney removed too.
11. I had my ovaries removed. Oomphrectomy. They thought I had a significant cancer risk in my ovaries enough to recommend having this done.
12. Genetic testing done on children. All 3 children have bad gene.
13. Sept of 2005, daughter dx again with adrenal cancer in operative area. Spleen and part of diaphram removed. Chemo + Mitotane is a monster.
14. Dec of 2005, I am dx with Stage 4 liver and bone mets.

HOW does this happen after such aggressive treatment?! I was practically Stage 1?!

This stuff moved around and landed somewhere else AFTER drastic surgery, dose-dense chemo 2 week chemo, and all.

My husband and I are greiving. We feel like all of our children are doomed to this cancer fate. Statistics are 50% by age 16, 80% by age 30. Anyone else out there with this Genetics CRAP?

Julie

Last edited by julierene; 01-15-2006 at 09:05 PM..
julierene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
saleboat

Julie-- I don't have the same genetics issues that you and your family are dealing with, but did read your post and wonder how anyone can deal with the things that you have. My family is dealing with a couple of cancer dxs at the moment, but nothing to the extent that you have. I have no words of advice, just wanted to send you good thoughts and wishing an easier road ahead. Jen
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
Barbara H.

Julie

My life is not easy, but it does not even come close to what you are dealing with. It is hard enough to deal our own illness, but heartbreaking to deal with serious illnesses or their potential in our children. My heart goes out to you and your family. I hope that the rest of your children can escape this. If not, I hope that the ongoing research will offer some better solutions than we now have. For sure, many of us would not be here today if it were not for Herceptin.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
michele u

Julie,

Wow. I thought my family had alot of cancer. I'm so sorry for all your loss, and all the CRAP that you are dealing with now. I don't know how anyone could get through all of that without GOD. Is your faith growing stonger with all this or is it making you ask why? I just want you to know, that in the Bible it says the WHOLE way through it that GOD tests his believers. He puts us through this to make us turn to him for all our worries. We must surrender EVERYTHING to him through tough times. You can't change the way this will all play out. I know you wish that you could do ANYTHING to make it better. What you can do is get your family together, all pray that HE will have the mercy to heal you. And if that is not his will, then pray for the strength to get through it. The only way to GET through this, is to believe that there IS a heaven that is so much more then this. If we truly believe this, then we will except anything that is thrown to us. Surrender, pray, hope, wish, but please don't falter in your trust. He will be there if you ask him to!! God bless
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote