HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
Lani

for RB

unfortunately this cell line is triple negative,which is why I didn't post the article with the title revealed above
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
R.B.

Hi Lani,

I am guessing you missed the link off.

Many thanks

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Lani

your absolutely right...I guess I need to balance my Omegas!

to improve brain function!

1: Nutr Cancer. 2008;60(5):666-74.
Suppression of Implanted MDA-MB 231 Human Breast Cancer Growth in Nude Mice by Dietary Walnut.

Hardman WE, Ion G.
Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Marshall University School of Medicine, Huntington, West Virginia, USA.
Walnuts contain components that may slow cancer growth including omega 3 fatty acids, phytosterols, polyphenols, carotenoids, and melatonin. A pilot study was performed to determine whether consumption of walnuts could affect growth of MDA-MB 231 human breast cancers implanted into nude mice. Tumor cells were injected into nude mice that were consuming an AIN-76A diet slightly modified to contain 10% corn oil. After the tumors reached 3 to 5 mm diameter, the diet of one group of mice was changed to include ground walnuts, equivalent to 56 g (2 oz) per day in humans. The tumor growth rate from Day 10, when tumor sizes began to diverge, until the end of the study of the group that consumed walnuts (2.9 +/- 1.1 mm(3)/day; mean +/- standard error of the mean) was significantly less (P > 0.05, t-test of the growth rates) than that of the group that did not consume walnuts (14.6 +/- 1.3 mm(3)/day). The eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acid fractions of the livers of the group that consumed walnuts were significantly higher than that of the group that did not consume walnuts. Tumor cell proliferation was decreased, but apoptosis was not altered due to walnut consumption. Further work is merited to investigate applications to cancer in humans.
PMID: 18791931 [PubMed - in process]
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
R.B.

Thanks Lani.

Omega 3 should have a positive impact, and the other factors maybe.

It would be interesting to know how they adjusted food intake in respect of Omega 6. Eg is they replace the omega 6 in the corn oil with the omega six in walnuts meaning we would just be looking at omega 3 a sterols etc.

Again thanks

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote