HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
Lani

Exclamation at least in mice, playing with selenium supplements may be playing with fire!

Int J Cancer. 2013 Apr 23. doi: 10.1002/ijc.28224. [Epub ahead of print]
Dietary selenium supplementation modifies breast tumor growth and metastasis.
Chen YC, Prabhu KS, Das A, Mastro AM.
Source
The Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 16802.
Abstract
The survival rate for breast cancer drops dramatically once the disease progresses to the metastatic stage. Selenium (Se) is an essential micronutrient credited with having high anti-cancer and chemopreventive properties. In this study, we investigated if dietary Se supplementation modified breast cancer development in vivo. Three diets supplemented with sodium selenite, methylseleninic acid (MSA) or selenomethionine (SeMet), as well as a Se-deficient and a Se-adequate diet were fed to mice before mammary gland inoculation of 4T1.2 cells. The primary tumor growth, the numbers of cancer cells present in lungs, hearts, livers, kidneys, and femurs and several pro-inflammatory cytokines were measured. We found that inorganic selenite supplementation provided only short-term delay of tumor growth while the two organic SeMet and MSA supplements provided more potent growth inhibition. These diets also affected cancer metastasis differently. Mice fed selenite developed the most extensive metastasis, and had an increased incidence of kidney and bone metastasis. On the other hand, mice fed the SeMet diet showed the least amount of cancer growth at metastatic sites. The MSA diet also provided some protection against breast cancer metastasis although the effects were less significant than those of SeMet. The cytokine profiles indicated that serum levels of IL-2, IL-6, IFNγ, and VEGF were elevated in SeMet-supplemented mice. There was no significant difference in tumor growth and the patterns of metastasis between the Se-deficient and Se-adequate groups. Our data suggest that organic Se supplementation may reduce/delay breast cancer metastasis while selenite may exacerbate it. © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Copyright © 2013 UICC.
PMID: 23613334 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
conomyself

Re: at least in mice, playing with selenium supplements may be playing with fire!

"organic SeMet and MSA supplements provided more potent growth inhibition"
"organic Se supplementation may reduce/delay breast cancer metastasis"

Good! "SeMet" is the kind I take.

The comparison of selenium sufficient and deficient diets would suggest to me that maybe dietary selenium isn't enough, but the supplementation of MSA or SeMet is enough to really help.

I didn't take care to choose my selenium forms, but I just looked at my multivitamin and my individual selenium (bargain brand) and they both happen to be selenomethionine (SeMet), so it's not like the "good" forms are hard to come by.

Thanks for this information Lani!

Rachael
ER+/PR+/HER2+ amplification 4.8 (whatever that means)
8/13/2012 Brain MRI (clear); bone scan verified CT scan
8/14/12 started Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin, 2 rounds (added Neulasta after 9/4 treatment)
9/4/12 CA 15-3: >3000
9/15/12 CA 15-3: 840
9/15/12 started Taxotere/Perjeta/Herceptin, 4 rounds (no Neulasta)
10/29/12 CT scan showed dramatic improvement in all areas - largest liver met 2.5 cm, largest lung met 10 cm
12/17/12 Started Perjeta/Herceptin, 2 rounds
12/17/12 CA 15-3: 17 Yay!!!
1/21/13 CT scan showed improvement - largest liver met 1.9 cm, largest lung met 2 mm
1/29/13 CA 15-3: 12 Started Herceptin only
3/12/13 CA 15-3: still 12 yay!! Back to Perjeta/Herceptin
3/29/13 CT scan more improvement - largest liver met 1.2 cm, some lung mets disappeared!
3/7/14 started Tamoxifen
6/27/13 - 1/2015 CT scan stable
Began a diet of only single ingredient foods and went nearly NED excepts for some tiny lung spots - ask me if you want to know more...
1/2015 - 1/2017 CT scan stable
conomyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
'lizbeth

Re: at least in mice, playing with selenium supplements may be playing with fire!

Lani,

You have us all checking out the vitamin bottles I'm sure. My husband's supplement states selenomethionine (SeMet).

I was taking Selenium for ages when I accidentally found it resolved a terrible case of fatigue and brain fog after a reconstruction surgery. The label reads Selenium Yeast which I believe is also called: selenomethionine (SeMet).

Inadvertently I'm good! Shew. (Wiping forehead)

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote