HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-15-2006, 04:22 AM   #1
Kimberly Lewis

Thumbs down best tests for reoccurance and Tamoxifen vs other treatments?

Hi - is there a standard test for keeping yourself checked for cancer reoccurance? I hear the term tumor markers, and as I am still in treatment not sure when that starts or if there is something else I can do to keep myself safe.

Also, when I started all this I was peri-menopausal and now thrown into full? menopause. Does this mean that I should start with femara or Arimidex as opposed to Tamoxifen? My Onc seems to think we should wait and see if periods resume and then decide. What about removing ovaries? Is that a standard treatment for most? I am stage3,er+pr+ her2-2+3+ 7of20 nodes
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
Becky

Kimberly

There is a tumor marker test called CA27/29 (some cancer centers use the CA 15/3 instead). It measures certain chemicals that tumors secrete so if the marker goes up, your doctor would be suspious that something might be growing somewhere (so you would then get scans). This usually starts sometime after radiation is over.

Your doctor can also test your blood for your hormone levels (FSH - follicle stimulating hormone and LH - lutenizing hormone). The levels of these hormones will be able to tell your doctor if you are truly menopausal (so you can take Arimidex or Femara instead of Tamoxifen). I am 47 and I started on Tamoxifen but really wanted to take Arimidex because it works better and is purported to work better for us Her 2 gals (and in syngergy with the adjuvant Herceptin). So... I got the test and it said I was postmenopausal and about 3 months later, I got my period back. About a month after that, I got my ovaries removed. So now I am on Arimidex. I was not sorry to get my ovaries removed as ovarian cancer also runs in my family. I am also ER positive but I am PR negative.

I still have until June to finish up my herceptin but I am happy to be on what I think is the best combo.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
Kimberly Lewis

Thanks for answering Becky - I will ask about these specifically. I am bouncing back and forth between my Onc at Duke Medical and my local Onc. Hopefully one will listen... The oposing viewpoints amongst Dr. 's is amazing to me.
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote