HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-25-2004, 11:56 PM   #1
lauren

1. Yoga and Breast Cancer Survival

2. Low-Sugar Diets and Breast Cancer Survival

I do a ton of yoga, and I FEEL so good, so healthy. But I am wondering if there is any evidence that it helps with bc survival.

As for the low-sugar diet thing, I read a thing about Breast Cancer's "Sweet Tooth" and how there is some evidence that a low-sugar diet, one that keeps insulin levels at a stable level, is helpful in bc survival.

Any news on this? Is anyone doing research on these things? I mean, if they did the ASPIRIN research, why not these topics?
Old 06-26-2004, 07:57 AM   #2
Linda in Calif.

Hi Lauren: I also have heard about the supposed Sugar cravings/breast cancer link. From what I have read it seems some scientists think that sugar helps the cancer to grow. Therefore it would seem logical that if you limited your sugar intake it would be benificial in controlling your cancer or at least in not promoting its growth. Having said that, I have to tell you that I am an absolute sugar-freak. Sometimes I feel like a junky because I know it is not good to have yet there is no way I am able to stop. There are some people that post here that are into suppliments and healthy alternative medicines...it will be interesting to see what they have to say about the sugar and breast cancer. Take Care, Linda
Old 06-26-2004, 02:08 PM   #3
Lisa

We have discussed this sugar thing in depth in the past. It is processed sugar that feeds tumors. However, having said that, if your glucose levels are normal on your blood workups, you don't have so much to worry about. If, however, you tend toward higher levels, limit the amount of processed sugar you eat.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 06-26-2004, 11:35 PM   #4
Debbie Laxague

Both these topics interest me. I'm not sure if it matters if yoga has an influence on bc survival - it certainly has an influence on quality of life and that's enough for me. Since bc diagnosis, anything that helps me appreciate these moments is of enhanced value. Yoga does that, for me. Exercise in general has been shown to decrease risk of breast cancer, and also to decrease risk of recurrence - the link is unclear but may be related to the next topic - control of sugar/insulin.

As for sugar - it's not as simple as glucose levels, and it's not just "processed" sugar. To your body and your pancreas, natural sugars in fruits are handled very much the same way as sugar from the sugar bowl. "Natural" juices are being implicated in the epidemic rise of type II (adult-onset) diabetes in young children.

So high sugar (glucose) levels in your blood could in theory feed tumors (PET scans, for instance, look for tumors with markers on glucose - tumors take up more glucose). But probably more-important is simple carbohydrate intake (which includes much more than just sweets) and what it does to stimulate insulin production. Overproduction of insulin, in response to overconsumption of simple carbohydrates, starts us down the path to insulin resistance and type II diabetes. Insulin is produced in massive amounts in response to carb gluttony, and circulates throuout our body, but our cells that need the insulin to metabolize the glucose become resistant to the insulin, so more is produced because the sugar levels stay high - a viscious cycle. In addition to its role in glucose metabolism, insulin is a growth hormone. Its influence on cancer growth is not known. But personally, I'd rather err on the side of caution and limit my carbohydrate binges, hence limiting insulin surges. Plus, as with yoga, I feel so much better when I eat low (not NO) carb - that alone is good motivation.

Debbie Laxague