HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
dorinda

Liver Enzymes

I Am A Little Nervous And Thought Some Of Yall Could Give Me Peace.i Went For My Weekly Chemo Infusion And Of Course I Always Go A Day Before And Get My Blood Work To Make Sure I Can Have Chemo. Well, The Chemo Nurse Said Your Liver Numbers Are Up And Wanted To Know If I Had Been Taking Alot Of Tylenol. I Said No. Well ,the Doctor Said It Would Be Good Not To Get Your Chemo This Week And Will Recheck The Liver Number Next Week.. I Am Alittle Nervous Because I Did Have Three Tumors In My Liver And The Last Scan ,just Done On Aug. 6, Said That Everything Looked Good.what Could Make Liver Enzymes Go Up? I Do Have A Respiratory Infection And Have Been On Antibodics For 2 Days Now.i Didnot Ask How High The Numbers Were. I Guess I Should Have.everything Seems To Magnify Your Anxiety With Bc Thanks Dorinda
nov 2006 dx. with bc. 3 tumors removed from left breast lumpectomy done. her2 postive er+pr-. scans showed extensive spine mets(to many to count) ,3 tumors on left rib,one tumor on skull and 3 tumors on liver. stage IV from get go. dec.2006 started chemo taxol and herceptine wkly. zometa monthly. rescanned in march 2007, liver tumors shrinking a little. bones to early to tell but pain is gone in my back. rescanned in june 2007. liver mets gone, bone scan looking better but still alot in my spine. still on taxol and herceptine. zometa monthly. rescanned in august due to ca 2729 going up. liver still good , mets in ribs and skull gone but multiple areas still on lumbar and sacrum. mri of brain august 07 negative for mets.I AM BELIEVLING GOD FOR MY HEALING.
dorinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Grace

My liver markers were up--36 I think, when I had my last herceptin infusion. It worried me as mine were always in the mid-range and I had the test taken the day after. My chemo nurse instructed me to fast before the test and they went down to mid-range again. There are a number of supplements that can raise the markers, including echinacea, alchohol, steroids, and tylenol. You might have them redone, fasting before hand. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
Becky

Grace is right on this. Also for the CA 27/29 - caffeine will raise it up.

Also, your liver is under attack with the chemo and the chemo is killing all those cancer cells that have to be cleaned up by the immune system - this should be taken into consideration too. If you were showing progress 2 weeks ago, you are probably still ok now.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
StillHere

Thanks Becky for the tidbit on Caffeine and CA27-29 markers. I will lay off the diet coke before my next lab draw and see if makes any difference.
05/05 Cytoxan & Adriamycin every 3wk x4
08/05 Taxol every 2wk x 4, Herceptin every wk x1yr
10/05 Bilat Mast - my Choice
10/05 3/19 lymph nodes Pos, Stage IIIa
11/05 Rad x 37 Rx, R Brst & Axcilla
02/06 Herceptin stopped (L vent HF 40)
03/06 Started & Stoped Arimidex after 2 mos.-QOL side effects
05/06 Started Tamoxafin
06/06 Bilat Free Flap Reconstruction
12/06 Cardiomyopathy reversed-HF normal
01/07 Bilat Saline Implants
07/07 CA 27-29 steadily rising from 28 in 12/06 to 46 in 7/07
07/07 PET Scan NED, but inflamation at prev surg site.
09/07 Started Femara
10/07 CA 27-29 down to 39
06/08 CA 27-29 down to 32
09/08 Lg joint pain & QOL side effects from Femara, will live w/ to keep CA markers within normal range.
StillHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
cafe1084

When I was having chemo, my LFT's sky-rocketed and the onc sent me for a bone scan to look for changes there. He said sometimes they will go up with increase or decrease in bone mets. In your case, this could be very true since they are shrinking Plus, I'm sure since the chemo is filtered through the liver it's bogged down with toxins. My primary doc checked cholesterols and triglycerides when my LFT's went up because he said with highly elevated triglycerides, there is a risk of pancreatitis (mine were 600, previously normal). I increased my fiber and fruits/veggies and steered clear of packaged foods/red meats and they improved somewhat, but have not made it quite back to normal yet. Hope this helps in some way

Great to hear your tx is working well!
Steph C.
cafe1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
dorinda

Thanks For Your Comments. I Did Learn Some New Things. I Didnot Know About Fasting Before Blood Test And About Caffeine And Tumor Markers. I Think I Always Have A Coke In My Hand When I Go For My Weekly Blood Test And Infusion. I Will Make Some Changes. Maybe I Can Just Enjoy This Week Off From Chemo. I Am Getting Alittle Tired. 32 Weeks Of Chemo Is Wearing On Me. Dorinda
nov 2006 dx. with bc. 3 tumors removed from left breast lumpectomy done. her2 postive er+pr-. scans showed extensive spine mets(to many to count) ,3 tumors on left rib,one tumor on skull and 3 tumors on liver. stage IV from get go. dec.2006 started chemo taxol and herceptine wkly. zometa monthly. rescanned in march 2007, liver tumors shrinking a little. bones to early to tell but pain is gone in my back. rescanned in june 2007. liver mets gone, bone scan looking better but still alot in my spine. still on taxol and herceptine. zometa monthly. rescanned in august due to ca 2729 going up. liver still good , mets in ribs and skull gone but multiple areas still on lumbar and sacrum. mri of brain august 07 negative for mets.I AM BELIEVLING GOD FOR MY HEALING.
dorinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
micheleu

Dorinda,
how elevated were they? I know during chemo my liver enzymes were up. Even after my chemo was done my enzymes jumped around. Medications, herbs, and chemo can make your liver enzymes elevated. If you scan was ok hopefully it was something else
micheleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:17 AM   #8
PinkGirl

Smile

Just my 2 cents -- my liver enzymes went way out of whack during my taxol treatments. I had to wait a week for a teatment while I had more blood work and a liver ultra sound. Everything ended up okay and the blood work was normal by the end of the next week. Good luck.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Alpha Lipoic Acid

ALPHA LIPOIC ACIS --300mg AM + PM -- detoxifies liver, is an antioxidant, good for heart, neutralizes free radicals, protects cells from damage, can cross the brain barrier and energize you -- according to my NY oncological nutritionist. I take this every day. Keep an eye on all your #s. GET A COPY OF EVERY TEST AND REPORT YOU HAVE FOR YOUR RECORDS. Compare carefully and regularly. Stay on top of things.

I didn't know this in '95 when I was a newbie. Since met in '98, I got wiser. Sending loving, healing energy to all, as always... ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote