HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
adrien

pure anti-oestragen

Hi,
I'm about to start monthly injections of pure anti-oestragen because my oncologist thinks that the tablet form may contribute to tumour growth. Has anyone else had this or know anything about it?
Adrien
adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Lani

unless it is a clinical trial of something new

it sounds like Faslodex aka Fulvestrant

Dr. Slamon, the "father" of herceptin has given talks at conferences where he states that he believes it is the best antihormonal for her2 + patients, as they tend to be "relatively resistant" to both tamoxifen and AIs.

The work showing increased growth of her2+ tumors was initially done in mice I believe and involved giving tamoxifen without giving herceptin.

I don't like to post these as many her2+ er+s who were treated before herceptin became widely available, may worry if they were treated with tamoxifen without herceptin, but the studies were done on mice. Neoadjuvant studies on humans have raised some questions as well, however.

Also "relatively resistant" does not mean they do not work, just that they work less well than on her2-s.

Only recently have trial results started to become available (many more still not available) of treatments combining herceptin and antihormonals.

Tamoxifen works by blocking the Estrogen receptor so estrogen cannot get to it and start the cascade of reactions that stimulates cell growth, etc

AIs work by blocking the synthesis of estrogen so there is almost none to get to the receptor, similarly blocking its initiation of that cascade of reactions

Faslodex works by making the estrogen receptors fall off every cell in the body permanently--once you stop taking it the new cells would have estrogen receptors, but some cells in your body replace themselves only once in a blue moon. Nevertheless those on faslodex complain of very few side effects.

I have asked the drug company representatives and poster presenters at the San Antonio bc conference over 3 years if they think it crosses the blood brain barrier and noone seems to know for sure and noone is too interested in doing the research.

Sorry if I told you more than you wanted to know or if I scared anyone.

This is really an area where they are only speculating because they don't know with certainty yet.

Faslodex has almost only been used for stage 4s-I have only heard of one trial of adjuvant use, and not seen that one published yet (but still looking)

Hope this helped
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
adrien

thanks

Thanks Lani,
I'll have to find out the name. I'm not stage 4 but this has been going on a long time and previous combinations of either
1. Herceptin, Taxotere and Femera
or
2. Tykerb and Temerifen aren't enough.

My oncologist is trying to keep toxicity levels down. Even though it's metastatic it's only in the right axilla and the skin. No other organs so whopping it isn't appropriate. I guess he's trying to find the right balance. Radiotherapy is useless.
Adrien
PS Biopsy often says it's oestragen negative when it isn't. it switches receptors depending on what drugs I'm on.

2005 mastectomy (Left ) 10cm IDC in lymphatic system and blood vessels oe- HER2 ++;Taxotere, Herceptin 18 mths
2006 skin tumours below scarline Add Femera, 3 weeks radiotherapy twice daily (unsuccessful)
excision of tumours.
2007 jan skin tumour on L chest wall; positive Right axilla
Temerifen.
September Ca markers rise. Start Tykerb 3 wks radiotherapy
2008 skin tumours regrow. latissimus dorsal flap for excision of skin tumours March 08. HER2++++
Faslodex injections
CEA and Ca15.3 rising
CT scan shows multiple mets in liver, lungs and inguinal glands. Stop Tykerb. Start Xeloda
CEA and Ca15.3 dropping like a stone. Skin tumours disappear.
Return 6 months later.
CT shows increase in size and number liver and lung mets.
Oct: Cyclophosphamide
Markers continue to rise. Change to Caelyx
CEA marker in the 2000s Back to Herceptin
New tunour R Breast
adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
TSund

Lani or others...do you know why faslodex is not used in pre stage 4 cancer? When Slamon says he believes it the best, does he mean for all stages of Her2+/ER+ bc?

I'm interested in the apparantly low side affects given how many problems people have had with the AI's. I am guessing Ruth will be changed to an AI (or possibily this drug?) once menopause is proven "sticking".

We took an early shot on Slamon's words before with the TCH and it appears to have worked great. My gut would go with him again an instant.

TRS
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
TSund

Lani or others....Slamon and faslodex, AI, etc

bringing this up as didn't receive answer.

Lani or others...do you know why faslodex is not used in pre stage 4 cancer? When Slamon says he believes it the best for HER2+, does he mean for all stages of Her2+/ER+ bc?

I'm interested in the apparantly low side affects given how many problems people have had with the AI's. I am guessing Ruth will be changed to an AI (or possibily this drug?) once menopause is proven "sticking".

We took an early shot on Slamon's words before with the TCH and it appears to have worked great. My gut would go with him again an instant.

TRS
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:01 AM   #6
Kimberly Lewis

I am interested too!

Hi - I would like to hear the answer to that one. I am going to ask my new Onc. about it today. We moved to the Charlotte area and am trying out a new Onc to save on driving miles.... I like the idea of a 1x shot as compared to a daily pill that makes me ache so bad. thanks Lani, Kim

Diagnosed 7/05
Stage 3a er+(45%) pr+(68%) Her2+ (40%)
3.8 cm + .8cm multi focal - pleomorphic lobular tumors
high grade DCIS
7/20 nodes

BRCA 2
positive as of 5/07
surgeries: double mastectomy, hysterectomy (LAVH)
A/C,Herceptin for 1 year completed 11/06
femara

Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:09 AM   #7
Becky

Faslodex is not a one time shot. You need 2 loading doses every 2 weeks. After that, you need one shot per month.

I know of no trials testing Faslodex in early bc.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote