HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-06-2007, 08:43 AM   #1
LAURIE

acne herceptin

I Have Had 3 Weks Of Taxol And Herceptin, And Am Tolerating It Okay, Except This Nasty Acne That Has Developed. It Has Really Started To Affect My Self Image. I Have Read That Herceptin Can Give You An Acne Like Rash, This Is Full Blown Yucky Acne. Has Anyone Else Had This, And Does It Go Away? My Skin Was In Great Shape During A/c.

Laurie
Diagonsed 8/10/06 (found own lump)at 35
Her 2 +++, er-/pr-
4 A/C 8-29-06 to 11-06
Lumpectomy, node dissection- 11/30/06
Pathology report stage IIIC
1 tumor 3 cm
10 of 15 nodes +
12 Taxol 12/18/06-03/06/07
Herceptin 12/18/06- 12/11/2007 done!!! yeah!!!
33 rads started 3/22/07, done!! yeah!! 5/07/07
Lymphedema diagonsed 2/1/07
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
port out 1/10/08
pregnant after 6 yeas of trying- due mid feb.
Ryder David Kessel Hunter born feb.6th 2009

LAURIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
mts

I developed minor zits...with an every now and then monster one while I was on Herceptin. I did not have the Taxol + Herceptin at the same time.

I have been off Herceptin since July and my skin is back to pre chemo days.

I do still have a lingering rash on the inside of my elbows that itches like crazy. It to is just finally going away.

I never scrubbed my face before and didn't whilst on Herceptin. I did however always use a nonclogging SPF and that semed to help with the pimples. I think the skin is so hypersensitive to the sun during any chemo, that its best to protect it.

I also used a mineral powder (Bare Escentuals- Bare Minerals) that has an SPF in it and would really camoflouge the red areas. I liked it so much then- that I still use it and my skin looks great.

Hang in there- this will pass... I know it doesn't seem like it while you are goingthrough it, but it will...

Warmly,

Maria (MTS)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
KellyA

After very dry (and clear!) skin on AC, I did break out with the Herceptin. I became a little "greasier" and was full of acne. It was the worst after the first few treatments and has improved quite a bit, although I still have to really care care of it. I clean it well in the am and pm and use a clay mask (just an inexpensive one) before bed to soak up some of the oil. I was really upset about the acne because with my hair missing, I felt like "all eyes" were on my face. It was the icing on the cake after to 15 lb weight gain! What we don't go through!!!!!! It will get better soon.

Love, Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
R.B.

I have posed the question on several occasions - does Herceptin intervene in the conversion of shiort to long chain fats - could herceptin in any way inhibit conversion of omega three and six to the long chain derivatives.

If it does this could impact onthe amount of omega three available if there is not dietary supplementation.

There are no trials I can only raise the question.

This thought occurs here as I have seen a number of articles suggesting fat intake inluding omega three and six plays a part in acne.

Unfortunalely these have no abstracts but indicate research in the matter.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...m=acne+omega+3

You might like to look at the posts on omega three and six, and balancing the omega threes and sixes on this site if you are interested in the topic of omega 3/6 generally.

Please consult with your advisors in respect of dietary changes.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
wildflower12375

acne flare-up

Laurie,

I've been on Herceptin since April 2006, and in early November started getting acne on ONE shoulder and my chest. I've always had facial acne but have not had the shoulder and chest acne since high school! It's driving me crazy and has affected my self-esteem as well. You know if it was just having acne, gaining 10 pounds, or having to re-grow my hair, that would be bearable. The combination of it all makes it harder.

I would also be interested to know if anyone else is experiencing the acne....

Hang in there!

Julie
wildflower12375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:59 PM   #6
Bev

Didn't get acne. The taxol premeds made my face red though. Hang in there. You'll be back to normal in no time. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:19 PM   #7
Soccermom

I developed a skin condition (during herceptin)that I only recently had diagnosed.It is called "granuloma annulare". I have it on my hands and forearm,but it can develope anywhere. It is believed to affect those with compromised immune systems. I had steroid injections into each lump (minimally painful) and they arefading away.I have seen photos that show it can occur anywhere on the body and sometime in rather large areas. It usually goes away on its own. Because ai work w the publicandmy hands/arm looked so nasty I had the injections an am very happy with the results.

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic753.htm

Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote