HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
CourtneyL

FDA's New Rule For Compassionate Use

Since you ladies and gentlemen are the smartest, most well -informed group of people on the planet, I thought there might be some of you familiar with the FDA's process for obtaining access to investigational drugs outside of the clinical trial setting.

The background on this is that I have some progression of disease in my lungs now and I am not super excited about going on yet another chemo. I'd much rather try out a HER2+ targeted therapy such as Neratinib - made by Wyeth. As most of you know, it is in clinical trial phase right now and showing great promise. It also crosses the blood brain barrier which is huge news for me since I've had brain mets.

The problem is that the exclusion criteria for the clinical trials is too strict as it doesn't allow prior Tykerb/Xeloda usage.

So I am investigating the possibility of applying for emergency use via the FDA's new rule regarding such use. The new rule was just passed in August 2009 and take effect 60 days later - conveniently that is right now! Here is a link to some information on the rule if you are not familiar. It may come in handy for some of you down the road:

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Cons.../ucm176845.htm

My question is - has anyone here every applied to the FDA for such use? They call the form an IND for "Investigational New Drug". Any advice, insite, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Jan 09-April 09: Brain mets. Add Tykerb. Watch and wait.
April 09: Gamma Knife 10 brain mets, add Xeloda.
Sept 09: Gamma Knife to 1 brain met.
Nov 09- April 10: Lung progression, add Gemzar to Herceptin, Zometa.
May 10- Sept 10: HER2 Vaccine Trial

Sept 10: Add Tykerb for more brain mets.
Oct 10: Gamma Knife to 7 brain mets.
Dec 10: Switch from Zometa to Denosumab.
Jan 11: Gamma Knife to 3 brain mets.
March 11: Gemzar/Herceptin for lung/bone progression.
April 11: More brain mets - Intrathecal Herceptin
June 11: Ixempra/Herceptin for lung, soft tissue progression.
Aug 11: Gamma Knife
Sep 11: Abraxane/Herceptin
Future: NED

Send me a PM if you'd like to follow my journey on Caringbridge.
CourtneyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
Carolyns

Re: FDA's New Rule For Compassionate Use

Hi Courtney,

I have not gone this route yet although I have investigated it a little. Women with mets and the general patient population with advanced disease find out about these challenges at their most difficult time. Someone here shared with me a link to this website: http://abigail-alliance.org/

This group has been fighting for expanded access and compassionate care for a very long time.

I wish you well in your efforts.

Take care, Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Cal-Gal

Thanks for posting this Courtney and good luck--I have no experience w/this as I am fairly new to bc-Good Luck again--and my thoughts and prayers are with you---
ILC-4 tumors-1.7 cm,1.5 cm (2).8 cm
DCIS-11 cm
All tumors Grade 3
All tumors ER-0%/PR-0%
All tumors HER2+
IHC-all tumors Overexpression/borderline
FISH 2 tumors Her2-Negative
FISH 2 tumors Her2+ Equivocal
Stage I, 0/1 nodes
LVI-Indeterminate(treated as positive)
SPR Score 8/9
Ki-67 20%
BRCA genetic test 1/2=negative
Chemo: 6 rounds TAC Feb-June 2009 w/Neulasta
Herceptin: 6/12/09-6/4/10 52weeks
HNPCC genetic test: negative
Port Placement-9/23/09 Port Removal 6/25/10
Echo's every 3 months-All normal
2/09 Staging PET/CT showed 0.2 micronodule upper R lobe-lung-Onc does not think this is mets--
6/5/09 AND 10/09 CT scan 0.2 micronodule unchanged
1/10-PET/CT-uptake in nasopharynx-
1/10-MRI All normal
6/10-Bone Scan-clear
12/10-PET/CT-All Clear-NED
12/11-PET-All Clear-NED

12/12-PET-All Clear-NED
12/13-CT w/contrast Head, Torso-All Clear
12/14-CT w/contrast Head-All Clear
2/15-Core needle biopsy-R scar line

Cal-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Darlene Denise

Courtney: Did you consult with MD Anderson? Interested in what doctors might think this is a good choice. Also if you did consult at MD, please share what they had to say. You kow I'm in the same boat with you and always interested in new therapies.

Pasting part of a trial that indicates they will accept 20 additional patients in part 2 with prior Tykerb. It looks like you might squeeze in. Not sure about your other antineoplastic drugs.

Let me know if this could work and keep me in your loop.

May the force be with us...Darlene

Study Evaluating HKI-272 in Combination With Vinorelbine in Subjects With Solid Tumors and Metastatic Breast Cancer
This study is currently recruiting participants.
Verified by Wyeth, October 2009
First Received: June 25, 2008 Last Updated: October 7, 2009 History of Changes
Sponsored by: Wyeth
Information provided by: WyethClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00706030
Purpose The purposes of this study are to identify the highest tolerable dose of HKI-272 in combination with vinorelbine and to assess the safety of the combination of the two drugs as well as to obtain preliminary information on whether the combination of the two drugs has any effect on solid tumors.

Condition Intervention Phase Advanced Breast Cancer
Advanced Malignant Solid Tumors
Drug: HKI-272 in combination with vinorelbine
Phase I
Phase II

Study Type:InterventionalStudy Design:Treatment, Randomized, Open Label, Single Group Assignment, Safety/Efficacy StudyOfficial Title:A Phase 1/2 Study of HKI-272 in Combination With Vinorelbine in Subjects With Solid Tumors and Metastatic Breast Cancer
Resource links provided by NLM:

Genetics Home Reference related topics: breast cancer
MedlinePlus related topics: Breast Cancer Cancer
Drug Information available for: Vinorelbine Vinorelbine tartrate HKI-272
U.S. FDA Resources

Further study details as provided by Wyeth:

Primary Outcome Measures:
  • Physical Exams, Adverse Event Assessment, Tumor Assessments (CT, MRI, bone scan) including independent radiologic review for Part 2 [ Time Frame: 10 months (estimated average participation) ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]

Secondary Outcome Measures:
  • Electrocardiograms (ECGs), QTCLeft Ventricular Ejection Fraction, (LVEF [ Time Frame: 10 months (estimated average participation) ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]

Estimated Enrollment:95Study Start Date:April 2008Estimated Study Completion Date:January 2011Estimated Primary Completion Date:January 2011 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)
Arms Assigned Interventions A: Experimental Drug: HKI-272 in combination with vinorelbine

Detailed Description: The study will be conducted in two parts. In the first part, testing will be done on up to 12 subjects to determine the highest tolerable dose of HKI-272 and vinorelbine in patients with advanced solid tumors. In the second part of the study, approximately 60 additional subjects with metastatic ErbB-2-positive breast cancer, with no prior exposure to lapatinib (Tykerb®), are planned to be added to better define the tolerability and preliminary activity of HKI-272 in combination with vinorelbine. Up to 20 additional subjects with ErbB-2-positive breast cancer with prior lapatinib (Tykerb®) exposure are also planned to be enrolled in part 2 for exploratory analyses.

Eligibility

Ages Eligible for Study: 18 Years and olderGenders Eligible for Study: BothAccepts Healthy Volunteers: NoCriteria
Inclusion Criteria:
  • Confirmed pathologic diagnosis of a solid tumor that is not curable with available therapies for which HKI-272 plus vinorelbine is a reasonable treatment option (part 1 only) or Confirmed pathologic diagnosis of ErbB-2-positive breast cancer (current stage IV) in female subjects for which vinorelbine plus HKI-272 is a reasonable treatment option (part 2 only).
  • At least 1 prior antineoplasic chemotherapy treatment regimen for metastatic disease and at least 1 prior treatment with a trastuzumab-containing regimen for at least 6 weeks, for metastatic disease or subject relapsing under adjuvant treatment(part 2 only).
  • At least 1 measurable lesion as defined by Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST).
Exclusion Criteria:
  • More than 2 prior antineoplasic chemotherapy treatment regimens for metastatic disease. Subjects who relapsed under adjuvant treatment shouldn't have received more than one line of chemotherapy for metastatic disease(part 2 only).
  • Prior treatment with vinorelbine for metastatic setting, or prior treatment with any ErbB-2 targeted agents except trastuzumab (part 2 only). Up to 20 subjects with ErbB-2-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer who have been previously exposed to lapatinib but are not refractory to lapatinib may be enrolled in part 2.
  • Prior treatment with anthracyclines with a cumulative dose of doxorubicin of greater than 400 mg/m2, or of epirubicin dose of greater than 800 mg/m2, or the equivalent dose for other anthracyclines or derivatives (part 2 only).

05/12/08 HERCEPTIN EVERY 3 WKS
08/22/08 BRAIN METS! 8 <5MM
09/17/08 CYBERKNIFED BRAIN METS
10/20/08 BRAIN METS SHRINKING
12/29/08 BRAIN SCAN SHOWS 1 LESION GONE, 7 SHRINKING & STABLE, 1MM ? SPOT
01/16/09 LIVER REOCUR-XELODA/HERCEPTIN
03/02/09 BRAIN SCAN 2 LESIONS GONE, 5 STABLE, 1MM ? SPOT STILL A ?
3/27/09 REGRESSION OF 2 LIVER LESIONS XELODA & HERCEPTIN
06/08/09 STUPID BRAIN HAS 3 LESIONS
06/29/09 CYBERKNIFE
07/01/09 LIVER REGRESSION NO NEW METS
07/07/09 TYKERB XELODA HERCEPTIN
11/11/09 GEMZAR/HERCEPTIN FOR LIVER PROGRESSION
03/22/10 BRAIN MRI GOOD-3 SMALL NECROSIS LEFT FROM ORIG 11!!
03/26/10 CHANGE TO NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN 3 LIVER LESIONS PROGRESSING IN SIZE
05/21/10 NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN WORKING!
07/19/10 GOOD BRAIN MRI
08/20/10 LIVER PROGRESSION
09/08/10 TDM1 - NASHVILLE TN
01/10/11 LIVER RESPONDING TO TDM1
Darlene Denise is offline   Reply With Quote