HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
RhondaH

Bitter melon...Is anyone familiar with this?

I asked this question in the chat last night and no one seemed to know anything about it. My dads doc told me to get some for him when he had diabetes and I have now been reading about its cancer effects.

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/1157...dID=442&tab=HC

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Rhonda

Last edited by RhondaH; 02-06-2006 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: addition
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Unregistered

Cool

Hi Rhonda,
My mom is taking this. It is supposed to lower blood sugar which is good for diabetes and sugar. Seems to work well and it is a vegetable that hard to eat because it's so bitter.
Take care,
Anne
Old 02-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
CLTann

Bitter melon is a common vegetable easily available from Chinese grocery store. It looks like pale green cucumber, except that the surface is not smooth and with hundreds of raised protruding node. Before cooking, cut the bitter medon along the length and remove the seeds and whitish tissue. Slice the cleaned mellon into bite size. To remove the bitter taste, dip the sliced mellon into boiling water for about one to three minutes. Pour the whole pot content through a sieve to drain bitter water.

Stir fry sliced chicken, pork or beef (best with pre-marinated in soy sauce). When about 75% cooked, add the bitter melon. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes more by stir fry. Add little bit of condiment to taste.

One must develop a taste for bitter melon. After a while, one loves to have the slight bitter taste. In Chinese newspaper on medical information, it has long been claimed that bitter melon possesses the potency to remedy diabetes. Recent articles also suggested the power of preventing cancers. I think there was a medical report on this subject recently.

We eat bitter melon regularly and love it.

Ann
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
Helen

Hi Rhonda,
I am familiar with bitter melon. The fruits and leaves are used commonly by Asians as a vegetable. We cook it in various ways. These are usually sold at oriental stores and at the farmers market. I have heard of its various medicinal purposes such as being good for diabetes. Old folks in Asian countries supposedly use it for other medicinal purposes. If you are interested in recipes on how to cook it, let me know.

Helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:23 PM   #5
Unregistered

Hi Rhonda,
Bitter Melon is eaten regularly by people in India. Just look fora an Indian store in your vicinity and ask for "KARELA", thats the Indian name of it.
I will also mail u some recipes for it later. The best way to take it is by juicing it. Its very bitter but I can gaurantee you that it will help for blood sugar.My mom in law brought her sugar down to 109 and she is diabetic.The other thing u should also drink is water in which u soak FENUGREEK seeds for one night. Just drink the water and throw away the FENUGREEK seeds.
send me your private email and I can send u my phone number so you could call me to get recipe for it.
Cheers
Rupali