HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-22-2004, 07:22 AM   #1
Jackie

Unfortunatey, Abraxane was not fast tracked by the FDA last spring as I thought it was, and is still not available. (My onc has recently spoken to the pharmaceutical rep) I'm switching chemo drugs again, and am very disappointed as I heard good things about it. Xeloda will be my next selection...sure hope it doesn't set me on my rear end the way gemzar did this summer. Thought others might want to know about Abraxane. I'd be very interested if anyone out there starts using it once it becomes available!
Old 08-22-2004, 08:22 AM   #2
judiek

Jackie,

I do believe it was sent for fast track approval...just not approved yet. See link

http://www.drugs.com/nda_abraxane_040308.html
Old 08-22-2004, 11:00 AM   #3
cathyb

Jackie - what were your side effects with gemzar? Am currently taking it and have had some very unusual side effects - in my opinion. Would love to hear your experience. Thanks
Old 08-23-2004, 08:32 AM   #4
Jackie

I started gemzar in Feb 2004, and didn't really notice anything until May, when fatigue/low energy got to be a problem. I had not had difficulty with any chemo drug since my original dx in Oct, 2000, not even adriamycin, so it caught me by surprise. My mets is to bones and skin, but I discovered 2 brain lesions that I had treated with gamma in June. By July, I literally was sitting in a chair all day doing nothing, which continued for a couple of wks. I lost 15 lbs that I didn't need to lose, and looked and felt awful. I had scans run to make sure no additional disease issues (there weren't. I skipped 2 chemo sessions and went onto an every other wk chemo schedule as opposed to wkly. I feel lots better now, am back at work and doing light exercise. However, I now have to change chemo drugs again and am going on Xeloda this Thurs, herceptin/zometa every 3 wks. Despite feeling better, I have had a pesky fever which didn't respond to an antibiotic, and frequent headaches that are probably from the gamma procedure. Also I experience intermittent swollen ankles, which I attribute to the herceptin, and both constipation and diarrhea. My onc basically said that the fatigue, while unacceptable, was experienced by most people on chemo and I had just been lucky to date. What side effects have you experienced? I'm not sure what to attribute to the gemzar, and what are caused by other things!
Old 08-24-2004, 06:21 AM   #5
Hope

Hi Judie, I checked out the link you gave about Abraxane- not available yet. I couldn't open the file. Could you post the link again or e-mail it to me at hetrahan@aol.com. I am very interested in reading about it. Thanks.