HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-29-2005, 06:00 AM   #1
Kristen

I was just wondering, is it the companies that supply the test who establish the normal ranges? In your post, you gave ranges and Lolly had different ranges, hers was .3 etc, Rozebud, and I had CA 15-3 done and she told me her normal range was 36 and on my path report it said the top was 32.4. Your post might have included .something, but I don't recall, and mine was 2.8, not a .something. Just trying to get some clarification since this is all new to me. Thank you for your input, as always greatly apprecitated. Take Care k
Old 03-29-2005, 11:05 PM   #2
StephN

Kristen -

I do not know if there are more than one company that supply these marker lab kits.
Seems like the "inventor" of CA27-29 would have a lock on that one - and I do not find that the ranges for normal and below vary on this one. Normal is below 37 others have mentioned, and that is the case with my reports.

Why there is some variance on the CEA numbers, I have not had time to look into. My reports indicate that less than 5 is normal. When my result went to 6. my med onc ordered a PET scan. Little did we know the trouble would be found in my brain a few days later. But, anyway the rise in the marker signalled active cancer someplace in my body.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:34 PM   #3
Lolly

Hi Kristen, I may have put the decimel in the wrong place on my post about my CEA, can't remember which post it was but let me re-state:
The lab at my clinic used to say that <3.0 was normal, but now the print-out shows that <5.0 is normal. I don't know if they started using a different kit or if the standard changed, but I'll try to remember to ask at my next infusion.

<3,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:02 AM   #4
*_Irene from Tampa_*

At my hospital, H. Lee Moffitt, the ranges for normal are -

CEA - 0 -5 (for non smokers)
15/3 - 0 - 35

I believe that this could vary a little depending on lab (but should not be by much)

But I still say to keep a log on your pattern - During one of my recurrences, I maintained a count of under 3 for my CEA for a while. When it started hiking up in the 3's (which was still in the normal range) I started getting concerned but my onc. said it was nothing to worry about and we would recheck a couple of months later . When we did it had gone up to 11. We rescanned and sure enough I had a recurrence but we caught it while it was small. This was my first recurrence and since that time I have been vigilant in keeping track of my counts. Had I not pushed my onc. at the time to recheck, I may not have been known for some time later and who knows how big that tumor would have been.

On the other hand, I have talked to patients that have had high counts and nothing has been found. The key is to know your pattern in whatever markers are drawn on you.

Good luck to all .

Irene from Tampa