HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-02-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
Sheryl H

What to do about diarrhea

Had my first taxotere and herceptin on June 23rd. Three more taxotere to go and a year's worth of herceptin. Felt good for about four or five days after, then developed the wonderful diarrhea. Not having a horrible time with it. Seems to be getting a little better. Just wondered what all of you had found works the best for it. I had horrible constipation with A/C so find this a little ironic.
Sheryl H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Grace

Sheryl,

When I did chemo TCH, I first got diarrhea and I used something right away so then had constipation so bad that I quit chemo after two rounds. I was in severe pain for almost two weeks. I would say if the diarrhea is not bad that maybe you should just live with it, as it's better than constipation. Just drink plenty of water.

I'm almost a year on herceptin and still get diarrhea first week after infusion. Saturday night I was up all night with it, but it seems to pass after one or two days. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
Peggy

Different experience

Sheryl,

I had major diarrhea with taxotere. I ended up in the hospital with what looked like "chopped tomatoes" . I did not start taking meds immediately at the first sign of diarrhea and that is probably what got me in such trouble. So, my advice is a little different than Grace's. I would have to recommend taking meds early. I did not have to stop treatment, but working was a real challenge for the 5 months of treatment. Hope you're feeling better
Mastectomy, Rads x33 Herceptin X 9
3 Years NED!
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Blanche

Hi Cherly, I also had severe diarrhea with taxatere, mine came with my last dose. My onc reccommended colace, it did work , but not right away. Hang in there, I just finished taxatere and now I' m completing my year of herceptin in about 6 more treatments. Blanche
Blanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
Grace

Sheryl,

Actually Peggy's advice is good. I should have attended to both problems with my oncologist immediately but instead I let them drag on, until I was nearly in the hospital myself with severe constipation. My biggest mistake when I was on chemo was not being more insistent on getting and accepting help. I let the problems drag on far too long (too proud to insist I needed help) and by the time I came to the third round, I thought I was going to die and refused to do another. If I had called my doctor immediately I would have been advised what to do. But do also drink plenty of water. And what I used was Colace for the diarrhea, and finally for constipation, Senokot, both recommended by Oncologist.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
TSund

Bentonite clay for diarrhea

Ruth takes immodium for just the first couple days after TCH, but tries to keep it a LOW dose (1 pill or even 1/2) so as to not to end up constipated. Someone here (Brenda?) suggested bentonite clay on another thread here, and this has really helped. She finds if she takes the clay 1 tablespoon every day (make sure you get the kind for internal consumption) and fiber every day, both problems are much kept minimal.

Hope this helps.

TRS
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
Blanche

Forgive me Cherly, I'm definately suffering from chemo brain. I suggested that you take colace which is for constipation, what I meant was imodium which of course my onc, reccommended. I'm sorry. I hope everything is well with you.
Blanche is offline   Reply With Quote