HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-28-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
MCS

Question l arginine and liver function

for my experst out here

I know that milk thistle is good to maintain liver function. But I feel funny after I take it. It doesn't agree with me.

I read that l arginine is also a good liver protein. Has anyone use this? I used to use it a long time ago for keeping the lining of my stomach and uterus ok.

I stopped using afte dx and chemo- no interference problems. Now i'm off herceptin so is it safe to take again? and if it's good for liver, a double benefit?

thank you all

MCS (maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
heblaj01

Maria,
There is an awfull amount of research papers on L-arginine & almost all I read (not so many) appear to show positive results for various diseases including cancer.
However there is a small possibility that it may be a double edge supplement. I remembered buying many years ago a nutrition bar formulated by a cardiologist to improve the function of weakened hearts. These bars contained L-Arginine & the pamphlet issued by the MD warned they were not indicated for cancer patients since one of the ways in which they were supposed to help was in increasing capillary bloodstreams in the heart muscle.

I tried to find more recent info on the possibility that L-Arginine might be promoting angiogenesis which would be bad for cancer patients. My very brief search led to this:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...3750&tools=bot
Production of angiogenic activity by human monocytes requires an L-arginine/nitric oxide-synthase-dependent effector mechanism.
But I am not qualified to pass judgement on how significant this research paper is versus many others which show antiproliferative modes of action against cancer cells.

It would be better to ask the advice of an expert to clear up the possible ambiguity.

heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
MGordon

Got an herbalist handy?

Lisa and I were really blessed with a top notch Chinese Herbalist. Her name is Brabara Mahler (the grand daughter ofd the classic composer) and she studied her herbology (real word?) in China. She took Lisa off of Milk Thistle during certain chemos and put her back on during others - especially important with mets to the liver. I profess absolutely no knowledge as to what chemos and when appropriate - but I'd recommend finding a top notch Herbalist for a professional opinnion. If you do not know one and there is a Pharmaca neaby their staff is top notch with these issues as well.

All else fails - contact me and I can give contact info for Barbara - can't promise any "remote diagnosis" but I can promise she will reach out with love and compassion.

Love and Light
Mel