HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2006, 02:34 PM   #1
Unregistered

Anyone ever take Navelbine with Herceptin every week?

My name is Cathy. I'm 37years old with stage iv bc and mets to my lungs - Her2+, E/P-
First let me say - I hate cancer! Ok, now with that out of the way...I've been on so many drugs and nothing seems to work. In June - Oct 2004 I did AC/and one round of Taxol. It turns out I'm allergic to Taxol and Taxatere. So, my onc. gave me 3 rounds of AC +5FU. Then, in in late Oct 05, I started Hereceptin - alone with no chemo (because I can't take the taxol). I stayed on herceptin until March 05. My onc. took me off in March because me ejection fraction was at 49%. Then in May 05 the "spot" on my lung decided to grow. Now it was big enough to biposy. Well, this whole procedure took about 6 weeks (between setting up appts with various Dr.'s). The results came in June that the "spot" was met. BC.....gee tell me something I didn't know in March. I felt we had lost 6 weeks for nothing. In June 05 I took Xeloda until early Sept 05. Well - that didn't work. The spot or "nodule" continued to grow. It was only 8 mm in size but still growth is growth. So, in Sept 05 my onc. changed the chemo AGAIN. In Late Sept 05 I started Gemzar with Avastin. Well, I just go the results of my chest CT scan last week and the Gemzar and Avastin didn't work as great as my onc. had wanted. It did shrink one nodule and kept two others at the same size and the other two grew each by about 1mm. But - good news - no new nodules detected. So.....no this Friday I'll start Nevalbine with herceptin.
I'm wondering if anyone's been on this regimin and could let me know their results.
Thanks!
Cathy
Mother of 3 wonderful kids ages 8, 7 and 2
Old 01-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
Lolly

Hi Cathy, glad to meet you

I am currently on my third round of Navelbine/Herceptin combo, since 2001 with Herceptin as manintenance therapy in between, for mets to my lymph system; each round lasts for 6 months and we've been able to keep the mets confined to the lymph system with few major side effects. Navelbine is an extremely effective chemo, and has a synergistic effect with Herceptin, so you will hopefully be able to beat those mets back and keep them there with the help of Herceptin.
Quite a few on this site have had good results with this combo, so I'm sure you'll hear from them as well.

Has your ejection fraction been checked again, before you start Herceptin, so you have a "baseline" reading to go from? It could be that your previous low score was due to receiving Herceptin so soon after you had AC, but enough time has gone by that you should now be fine. However, your onc will want to monitor your heart from now on, I have either an ECHO or MUGA every six months for that reason.

Again, welcome and good luck with your first dose Friday!

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #3
al from Canada

Cathy,

First may I say that yes, this disease really sucks!

I agree with Lolly, get another MUGA and see if you can go back on Herceptin. Navelbine is a very good chemo with minimal side effects but in HER2 cancers, it works best with herceptin.
Good luck,
Al
Old 01-10-2006, 12:04 AM   #4
Esther

Hi Cathy, I was on Weekly Navelbine and Herceptin for 14 months. In Feb 2004 I was diagnosed with liver mets so severe my liver was shutting down.

I found the Navelbine and Herceptin combination very tolerable with minimal side effects. After 14 months I went on a chemo break and just stayed on Herceptin, my liver completely cleared of tumors 2 months later while still on Herceptin.

This was a great combination for me. Hope it works as well for you!
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
Patty H

Iv'e done herceptin and navelbine several times over the years. I found navelbine to be the easiest to tolerate of the other chemos you have tried. You may need to get a port if you don't already have one. Navelbine is hard on your veins. I love having a my port so much easier then trying to find a vein everytime. Best of luck Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
Amy

Hi Cathy,
I'm currently on Herceptin and Navelbine....tomorrow will be my 5th week. I've got lung mets as well....along with a recurrence of a lump in my left breast. I will have my first exam with my Onc tomorrow since starting this regimen.
So far it's been pretty good except that my WBC count is low, therefore last week I had to have a shot of neupogen....which doesn't bother me either, but I am concerned because she's lowered my dosage of Navelbine twice now....I want to be sure I'm on an effective dose, you know??
This has been alot easier for me than Xeloda with herceptin...had terrible Hand/foot syndrom.
I'm not sure how often they will monitor the state of my condition, (chest CT, x-ray) I'll ask my Onc tomorrow....did your Onc tell you??
Take care and I wish you the best....Love, Amy
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #7
Unregistered

Talking Thank you all so much for your input

This is so helpful. I guess once I finish typing this I should figure out how to register on this site.

You all gave me such great words of encouragement. Thank you so much!!!!

I did get a new echo yesterday. Although I don't know the actual results the tech who performed the echo asked me what the EF was the last time and I said 49% and she said it was much better than that but I needed to get the results from the Cardiologist. My onc. did start me on the navelbine alone this past Friday and I'll be able to add the herceptin to it this coming Friday.

My dad had the same thought about my EF going down because I started the herceptin so soon after finishing the AC.

My onc. said she'll monitor me with echos even more freq. than she has in the past. She was making me get them every 3 months while on herceptin.

The navelbine I took on Friday was pretty easy. I was shocked that they gave me kytril as a pre-med though. I didn't think it was going to be that bad. The kytril hurts me with headaches but I'm allergic to zofran.

Funny, the nurses and my Dr always say how sensative my system is. It makes me laugh because the only meds I took before this all began in 2004 was Tylenol. How was I to know I was allergic to so many meds.

It's nice to meet you all.
Cathy
Old 01-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #8
Unregistered

Oh yeah... to PattyH

I already have a port. I was so against getting one but my veins are so small and roll that my onc. said I really didn't have a choice. Almost 1-1/2 years later and so many different meds I am so glad that I have one!
Cathy
Old 01-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #9
cathy34

OK ladies - I've registered

All future posts by me will be from user: cathy34
cathy34 is offline   Reply With Quote