HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-20-2004, 01:25 AM   #1
beatrice

Since I have mets in my liver and navelbine stopped working, I am now starting (tomorrow) taking cisplatine (still associated with Herceptin). Is anyone taking it? can you tell me of any side effects? Thanks
Old 06-20-2004, 07:20 AM   #2
Christine- @ HER2

Beaatrice
I wish you well in you next line of chemo. Cistplatin/ Herceptin has been noted to be a very powerful combination. In the early clinical trials it was given to a few in Phase 1/2. One lady still living after 11 years,now in her 60's. I do not know if it goes through the blood brain barrier, but I've read that the platins may help.Drink lots of water before, during and after infusion to protect kidneys.
Beatrice, thank you in advance for keeping us informed. Many warm hugs, Christine
Old 06-21-2004, 01:31 AM   #3
Kitty

Beatrice,

I just finished a regimen for liver mets consisting of weekly taxol/carboplatin/herceptin and I am now NED! Cisplatin and carboplatin are very similar platiunum based chemos and are very synergistic with herceptin. I hope you are going on a weekly treatment because it is very easy to tolerate. I saw almost total resolution after 11 weeks, but remained on it for a total of 32 weeks to ensure it was good and gone. The worst part was losing my hair after 5 months and towards the end I needed aranesp (like procrit) every two weeks to build up my red blood cells. They never got really low and I felt fine the entire time. Like Christine stated, cisplatin was used with herceptin in the early trials and I understand Dr. Slamon feels very strongly that the platinum based chemos work very well. Drink lots of water because it is hard on your kidneys. Best of luck to you.
Kitty
Old 06-21-2004, 02:56 AM   #4
lolam

This is a GREAT combo. So happy you have been given this as you will be NED in no time. It really worked for me!
God bless!
Lola
Old 06-22-2004, 12:24 AM   #5
BEATRICE

Thanks! Yes, I am taking cisplatine+herceptine only (already took taxol last year, lost my hair, etc.). Your message gives me great hope. Wish you all the best. Love, Beatrice