HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-02-2005, 09:53 AM   #1
madubois63

We have recently learned by Terri Schievo's case that it is important to let people know exactly what you want. Also, for those of you in the middle of a divorce or separation - thought for the day - he/she can pull the plug on you until the day you are divorced - scary! It is very important to have a Will, Health care proxy, a living will and durable power of attorney.

http://pf.channel.aol.com/wsj/investing/3c...322153309990001

This site tells you what is required for a valid living will and/or health care proxy for your state. Click on your state for a living will that can be printed or copied and pasted into a word processing program.

A Living Will is a document that allows a person to explain in writing which medical treatment he or she does or does not want during a terminal illness. A Living Will takes effect only when the patient is incapacitated and can no longer express his or her wishes. The will states which medical treatments may be used and which may not be used to die naturally and without the patient’s life being artificially prolonged by various medical procedures. A Durable Power of Attorney is a document that gives someone else the authority to act on your behalf on matters that you specify, it can be specific to a certain task or broad to cover many financial duties. The power can be given to start immediately, or upon mental incapacity. A health care proxy gives the person you choose as your agent the authority to make all health care decisions for you, including the decision to remove or provide life-sustaining treatment, unless you say otherwise in this form. "Health care" means any treatment, service or procedure to diagnose or treat your physical or mental condition.

MARYANN
Stage IV Inflammatory BC 1/00
MRM 24nod/5+ Her2+
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol Tamoxifen
Rads - 32x
Stage IV Mets to lung/liver/nodes 10/04
video-assisted thoracoscopy (VATS) surgery w/pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carboplaten Femera Lupron
Old 04-02-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
imported_Joe

As important as a living will is, I would also suggest a Health Care Power of Attorney.

This POA will empower a person to make health care decisions if you are unable to. It may not be an end of life issue but is just as important.

Below is a link to both forms for free.

Regards
Joe

Health Care Forms

Old 04-02-2005, 12:41 PM   #3
StephN

Hi Maryann and Joe -

Thanks for all the additional advice and the links to the forms.
UNfortunately the link in that site did NOT work for my state (Washington) but I tried a couple of others that did work ...

Joe's suggested site has the forms, but they come up with all sorts of other junk on the page. And they offer to SELL you the forms for $9.99.
I can get them cheaper at my local office supply store if I want to review the lastet version against what I have from years ago.

No harm in review and comparing and finding out what a person can add for certain situations.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 09:34 PM   #4
Susie

I wrote a response in the "DNR and Living Will--is it the same thing" thread. Knowing ahead of time is very tricky. Like I said, you could have bc and hit a tree while skiiing. Or have a car accident tomorrow. A respirator might be neccessary to save your life. My dad had a feeding tube for a year after he had a stroke. Then he ate normally. Living wills do not always address the nuances of life. Just to blanketly say, like I keep hearing over and over, and rather hysterically, "I wouldn't want to live "like that", OF COURSE we wouldn't. Who would? But I wouldn't want to die like Mrs. Schiavo either. In fact, her organs were probably healthier than mine! And a "Living Will" does not allow euthanasia or suicide, but there is alot of room for error on these forms. I have downloaded a form for my state which is a Power of Attorney" for healthcare when I can't do it myself, and named my husband. It is a conservative form called a "Will to Live" rather then Living Will, and is a safeguard against hastening of death by medical personnel.