HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2007, 05:47 AM   #1
Shell

new treatment of gemzar/carboplatin + tykerb

I started on gemzar/carboplatin yesterday w/ tykerb to be added as soon as the paperwork is approved.

This is my 4th regime in the metastatic setting, so needless to see most all hopes are pinned on this. My shortness of breath is very bad, but I muddle through (it's daunting to muster the wherewithall to get out of bed, yet I'm the troop camping mom and we're going camping this weekend for the girl scout camporee). This conflict has been present for a long time. To most outsiders, I'm out and about working full time as a law partner, participating in town events, etc., but my family (husband especially) sees the opposite side of this, as I come home exhausted and just want to sit on the couch. My husband has taken on so much extra.

I'm contacting a counselor to help speak with our girls (ages 9 and 11), so hopefully things will continue to go as smoothly as possible in that regard.

I read Lani's latest article (but being non-medical of course understood next to nothing!! - you ladies who can interpret these are AMAZING in my book!!) of the issue of the four genes spreading cancer to the lungs - I am sending the article to my onc, but wonder if this means that there would be no harm in adding cetuximab (erbitux) and celecoxib (celebrex) to my regime - any thoughts anyone??

In any event, will keep you posted as my next infusion will be next week, with I think a week or 2 off after that. My understanding is we need to see results VERY quickly.

Finally, I've called Wyeth re the HKI-272 trial - one disqualifying factor is "more than 4 prior cytotixic regimes". I don't know what that means - from my signature can anyone tell me whether that's me?

Regards,

init diag 3/17/03-stage IIIC
ER-/PR-/HER2+++
CET x4 neo-adjuvant
lump & SNB 8/03
CET x2
radiation and herceptin/navelbine 11-03-1/04
1st reoccur to lymph nodes 8/04
complete axillary dissection 12/04
herceptin/taxotere til progression (lungs) 3/05
xeloda w/out lapatinib trial 6/05
lapatinib/tykerb added 4/06
ended trial 8/06 due to progression
doxil / avastin 11/06-12/06 - wasn't working
navelbine/herceptin/avastin 12/06/3/07 - progression
gemzar/carboplatin/tykerb 4/07
mri shows extensive mets to bone in pelvic area 6/07
switched to abraxane (3 on/1 off) + tykerb 6/07
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:13 AM   #2
Andi

Shell - I'm sorry that you are having these troubles. My prayers are with you that this combo will work for a very long time!
Diagnosed 6/30/05
Lumpectomy 7/13/05
Dose Dense A/C x 4
Weekly Taxol + Herceptin x 12
Remainder of year Herceptin Every 3 weeks (completes 9/13/06)
Radiation completed 2/28/06
Currently on Tamoxifen
Dec 06 - Pleural effusion treated with pleurodesis
Now er/pr-, her2++
1/07 started weekly Navelbine plus Herceptin
Discontinued Tamoxifen
4/27/07 CTshowed progression
5/01/07 Began Tykerb/Xeloda + Zometa
5/22/07 Stopped treatment due to great progression
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
Lolly

Hi Shell; I can't tell from your list whether you'd be disqualified based on prior chemo rounds, however if you call the trial coordinator (usually a contact number or e-mail is listed on a trial), that person should be able to tell you.
I'll be sending good thoughts that this new combo will knock things back.
It sounds like your life is full, and I know we survivors are determined to live as fully as possible, but it might be time to cut back a bit and conserve your strength so you can focus on yourself at this challenging time. It's hard to do this, I know, but something to think through.
Keep us posted on your new combo, and again, good thoughts and wishes going out.

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Becky

Shell

You never say if you are hormone positive or not. If you are not, maybe you should get a met retested. In a small study (only 12 women), 30% changed from hormone negative to hormone positive. Maybe you are one of those and an antihormonal would work for you now. The Celebrex and Eribtux are a good idea as Cox 2 and Her1 blocking might really, really help. Until the Tykerb comes, maybe your onc can also add Herceptin.

You have had 4 cytotoxic regimes (by the way) but you should call about the trial anyway because you have had taxanes a couple of times and maybe that won't "count".

My thoughts are with you. Big hug and have a nice weekend - stay out of the rain Sunday (I don't live that far from you and we are going to have another Nor'easter).

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote