HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-14-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
Patty D

Ladies who have had or are going through treatment for bone mets I need your help. I had a PET scan last Dec that showed mets to the bones-specifically spine and ribs. My onc put me on FASLODEX- 4 montly injections, the last one being this month -about 2 weeks ago. My question is I dont think it worked as I am still having on and off pain-mostly in my back- Usually a good dose of extra strength Tylenol helps. Does the fact that I still get pain on and off mean the faslodex did no good? My markers are being retested a 2 weeks- he wanted to wait a few weeks after the last dose. My choice of treatment if it did not work is Chemo- I am very worried -Mostly that if the Faslodex did not work- why would the chemo. I am also taking weekly Herceptin and monthly Aridia.
Any insight will be helpful. If I have to go to chemo what is most used and what results do you have. Thanks and God bless! Patty D
Old 03-14-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
jojo

I had taken Faslodex before and it had shrunk my nodes, then put me in stable disease just for a few months. Onc had warned me that it would take a while before Faslodex would finally kick in. (Same thing with Aromasin, which I'm currently taking.) So, I guess your onc is wanting to give it a little more time. I hope your back pain goes away quickly! Keep us posted, please. Take good care ~ JO.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:47 AM   #3
Pam P

Patty -
I also have bone mets. Unfortunately faslodex did not work for me, or maybe it did initially but not long term. I was on it for 6 months. But I know a woman who started faslodex the same time as me and she's still on it & it's working great - that's over 2 years.

From what I've read I think bone pain doesn't only mean it's from active cancer. It could instead be from either 1) the faslodex working in the bone marrow causing discomfort, or 2) residual bone damage caused from the cancer that still needs to heal. Is your back pain worse the week after you get the faslodex? It might just be side effect.

If the faslodex doesn't work for you that DOESN't mean chemo won't -- they're totally different. I was on navelbine/herceptin for a year and it kept the bone mets from growing.

Please let me know how your next tests go. Take care. pam
Old 03-15-2005, 12:55 PM   #4

Patty D
I have bone mets and when I was having pain in my spine, they did radiation on my spine. I have not had any pain since then. They did not radiate my whole spine just a small area in my spine. Patty H
Old 03-17-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
Esther

Patty, I have also heard that bone that is healing and re-building itself, can cause discomfort or pain.

So maybe your pain is from the bones healing!