HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #1
*_tami_*

I had axillary disection and radiation and want to minimize my risk of developing lymphedema. I recently got back from Hawaii and realized that I had completely forgot about getting a compression sleeve to use for flying. I didn't have any issues but am planning a longer trip and was wondering is any of you use one when flying as a precaution? I spoke to my surgeon last week and she said that some women use them and others do not when they fly. She said that she would give me a prescription for one if I felt I needed it and would use it. Just curious to hear what approach people are taking.

Thanks
Tami
Old 06-12-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
judiek

Tami,

I fly 4-5x a year and wear a sleeve when I do. Despite this I still have a mild case of lymphedema. I am currently going through a 2 week course with lymph draining and learning to bandage. This has not been a fun process. I can hardly do anythng with the bandaged arm and my arm aches all the time. IMO, I would wear a sleeve as lymphedema does not go away, but can be managed.

warmly,

judiek
Old 06-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
*_Cathy_*

Dear Tami- I did not fly yet since getting lymphedema but I would definately wear a sleeve. It's not a big deal to get one and it may really help you on the airplane. I had the physical therapy and I'm supposed to wrap it but I just wear the sleeve around the house. I think I'm supposed to wear one while swimming too but I don't. I may have to do that soon. God Bless You, Cathy
Old 06-12-2005, 11:05 PM   #4
Merridith

Hi Tami:

I have flown several times since my recent auxillary disection and haven't had a problem. I actually didn't even think about a compression sleeve as a precaution so didn't worry about it. (One of the trips was quite a long one- 17.5 hours in the air).

I suspect that if you are going to have lymphadema when flying that you might already have had a hint of problems while on the ground prior. Since you've already been on a plane with no problems you're probably going to be OK.

Also.... I think the longer you are out (timewise) from your dissection without problems the less likely you are to encounter them. I think that the major risk period is two years.

Regards,
Merridith
Old 06-13-2005, 05:56 AM   #5
*_Cathy_*

Hi Tami and Meredith, I never thought I would get lymphedema. I didn't get even a hint of it until I noticed my arm a little bit bigger at work one day. It was four years after my surgery. God Bless, Cathy
Old 06-13-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
*_tami_*

Thanks everyone -

Based on your feedback I think I will get one and use as a precaution.

Many thanks
Tami
Old 06-13-2005, 08:00 PM   #7
StephN

That is a good idea, Tami.
I am four and a half years from my surgery (lumpectomy and nodes) and have no sign of lymphedema. But, I never take it for granted as I know women who have gotten it out of the blue with no warning. They do not know what caused it to start.
So, I do wear a sleeve when I fly - just in case.
Best of luck.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote