HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
Rupali

Confused about Tykerb

Hi all,
Whenever I am confused I always come here and try to get answers. And thats what I am doing today.
This time the confusion is about Tykerb.

So let me first explain my diagnosis and treatment.
December 2004 found a lump in right breast
Right breast mastectomy: December 2004.
Stage 3C with 12 out od 22 nodes postive. 9cm lump Grade 3, ER+, PR+ (10%), her2+++
4 DD AC, 4DD Taxol
2 years of Herception every 3 weeks (now finished)
Tamoxifen and zoladex started in 2005 when my periods returned

SO I am done with Herceptin now and soon will be switching to AI with zoladex.
Now comes the new drug Tykerb.
My husband does his research and finds that Tykerb is a good medicine and can cross blood brain barrier.
I have 2 oncs, one is at a big cancer research center in Boston and the other is a community oncologist.
What I am confused is that is Tykerb something I should take now or keep it as an ammunition in case I need it at a later time.
If I was to take Tykerb now then would it be with Xeloda or tykerb alone. The community onc said there is no need of xeloda and she would not agree for it.

Is it a good idea to just take tykerb for 3-6 months?

My EF is down to 45-50% right now and is that sufficient to start tykerb?

Does anyone know how cardiotoxic is tykerb?

Please answer, I am all confused.
Rupali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
chrisy

Dear Rupali,
Yes, lots of people are asking this same question - MicheleU is also Stage III and is in the process of trying to get it (and deal with the insurance issues). In the US, the FDA approval is for Stage IV in combination with Xeloda. So any other use, such as in your case without metastatic disease, would be considered "off label" and therefore a tougher decision and more difficult. But possible as Michele has found out.

Because Tykerb also targets HER2, there is still a concern with cardiac toxicity - maybe not as much but I don't know that there is a lot of data in this regard. I know that part of the qualification for the trial I am going into (Tykerb/Avastin) is, you guessed it, LVEF in normal range. So having an LVEF of 45-50% may put you at risk or preclude you from getting this drug. Might be better to get your heart back up to full strength first.

Also, remember you have had a lot of herceptin - seems like double the normal course of treatment.

It's a tough decision in your situation, I know. My advice would be to get your heart function back up before thinking about hitting it again with the Tykerb.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:07 AM   #3
Rupali

Is anyone considering taking tykerb just for 3 or 6 months?
Rupali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Sherryg683

I am stage IV in remission for a year and have just been approved by my insurance and oncologist to start tykerb as a preventative approach. I received a phone call from Tykerb Cares and they said that my insurance covered it and I would soon be getting a phone call from a specialty pharmacy. I am not taking xeloda with it. I didn't discuss how long I would be on it with my Oncologist, that was just something I forgot, will discuss that with him this week but I am thinking around 6 months. He was of the opinion that he was not sure of it being beneficial to me at the moment but would do what I wanted. I cornered him on the issue of growing "immune" to it and that was it indeed not true that our bodies do not grow immune to theses chemos but that the cancer finds ways to mutate to get around them. He said this was indeed the case. So my theory was that I would not just get an immunity to tykerb from taking it and that if there was any cancer in my body, I'd just as soon attack it now than wait for it to come back, let it try to mutate around both herceptin and tykerb...seems to me much harder to do. I also am very concerned about protecting my brain or what little of it I have left...lol. It was something I thought long and hard on but am now confortable with my decision. I have to be here for a long time for my little girl so I want to be as agressive with it as possible...sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
Shell

Sherry-

I am so glad you're finally getting tykerb - I know you've been pushing for it...

Regards,

init diag 3/17/03-stage IIIC
ER-/PR-/HER2+++
CET x4 neo-adjuvant
lump & SNB 8/03
CET x2
radiation and herceptin/navelbine 11-03-1/04
1st reoccur to lymph nodes 8/04
complete axillary dissection 12/04
herceptin/taxotere til progression (lungs) 3/05
xeloda w/out lapatinib trial 6/05
lapatinib/tykerb added 4/06
ended trial 8/06 due to progression
doxil / avastin 11/06-12/06 - wasn't working
navelbine/herceptin/avastin 12/06/3/07 - progression
gemzar/carboplatin/tykerb 4/07
mri shows extensive mets to bone in pelvic area 6/07
switched to abraxane (3 on/1 off) + tykerb 6/07
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
Sandy H

I am not sure I agree with the immunity with chemo drugs. Why do we have reactions to the drugs? I had two reactions to carboplatin and was told my body was telling me it has had enough and wants no more. I also got very ill from taking tykerb and my oncologist said your body has had enough and wants no more so, "your done with that drug". I guess, its how do we define immunity. I agree with the cancer being tricky and out doing these drugs. Always, so many questions here and how do you answer them? Glad I am not a doctor! Just my thought here. Wishing you all well. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
michele u

Rupali,

i am stage 3 also. I was dx in 2003. I am in the process of getting Tykerb. My onc wrote my insurance for medical "necessity" They are paying 80% of it. My 20% is still 1,000$ amonth. I'm in contact with some advocacy places to pay for the 20% if you want the numbers i posted them aways back. My look at the whole Tykerb thing is. If one is stage 4, they could wait so when they need it is always there. For us stage 3ers, we are still looking for the "cure". If there is anything out there that will give me any chance of it, i'm going for it. I took one year of Herceptin. I pushed for more and they said no. As Dr. Slamon put it, if we can get to 6 years, we might be cured. I'm going for it!!! I think i'm going to use Tykerb for 3-4 months. I'm just going off the Finland trial where 9 weeks of Herceptin was as good as a year. Hopefully studies will show that 3 months of Tykerb will do the same.

dx: August 2003 stage 3b 35 pos nodes ER/PR neg Her+
4 AC 12 weekly taxol
one year Herceptin in trial
35 rad tx
vaccine trial Seattle
NED
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote