HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-24-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Maggilu123

Red face New member

Hi All,

Very glad that I found this site, have been reading post and compairing with what is going on with me. I am new to all this and don't have alll the lingo down yet.

Was dx in February with Stage IIIA, ER/PR-, HER2+, since I don't have insurance took a month to find help with treatment but thankfully found some great doctors. Had surgery in April, port placement and removal of three lymph nodes and had Herceptin and Taxol while in hospital. Just finished last Taxol treatment and have had Herceptin weekly. Next week I start Cytoxan, Epirubicin, and Fluorouracil (5-FU). Will be having every 3 weeks for 4 cycles. Also is going to give me Decadron and Herceptin. My question is has anyone else received this treatment in this order?

Thanks,

Peg
Maggilu123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
al from Canada

put the brakes on

This is a strange combo, maybe someone else can add experience to the replies. However, getting Epirubicin AFTER herceptin is contra-indicated. I don't think you can take herceptin + Epirubicin at the same time because of the chance of heart damage; and why would you stop herceptin after starting it, only to re-start it again? Are you sure you got the order right? Also, I can't understand why they are still using 5-FU when the smart-drug version (xeloda) is readily available. I can see using 5-FU to prime for surgery or continuous infusion during, to prevent metastatic spread.Personally, I wouldn't do another thing until you get a second opinion; unless I am way off base because things have changed.
Al
Old 06-25-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
Chelee

Hi Maggilu123, I have so much to learn about all this stuff and chemo regimens, etc. But as Al said in his post...that combo of drugs would concern me?

Myself I am concerned about almost the same thing you are talking about as I have stage IIIA breast cancer and was put on Herceptin, Taxotere, & Carbpotin to start. Now I am done with that and there is mention of putting me on AC and Cytoxan. This put my radar up after being on this board. The WAY I understand it...you USUSALLY always have the AC first followed by other chemo regimens. And you never give herceptin with AC or a drug simumlar to that such as the Epirubicin you mentioned.

This would be quite worrisome to me? I know I have been told you cannot take herceptin and a Epirubicin based drug together. Serious heart problems can arise.

You mentioned your doctors giving you Cytoxan, Epirubicin, and Fluorouracil (5-FU) starting next week. He will also give you decadron and herceptin.

You need to sit your doctor down and have him/her slow down and explain things to you a little better. Sometimes these doctors mean well and just start going a mile a minute and it can get very confusing!

But BEFORE going ahead with this....I really believe you need to talk to him and see if you undestood him completely...and if you did...then PLEASE at least talk to another oncologist before going ahead with that treatment plan. Like Al said...maybe things have changed...but when it comes to the chemo regimen you mentioned...I don't think it changed that much. We are just trying to help you out and save you some problems...unless we are wrong? But it won't hurt you to talk to some other oncologist first. I wish you all the best. Hang in there.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
Christine MH-UK

epirubicin after herceptin may be o.k., but combo still unusual

It is a bit unusual. There was a trial that used (herceptin+taxotere) followed by FEC, but that was FEC by itself (not at the same time as herceptin and not followed by herceptin). There weren't many heart problems. This trial, FinHer (for Finnland + Her2), was quite small, but with good results, even though the level of FEC used is now much lower than what is currently used (what FEC level are you getting by the way?).

There was also a very small trial announced at ASCO in 2004 in which women got herceptin + FEC together, but as I recall it was a small phase II trial and I haven't seen the followup. I don't think that there was a herceptin tail to this trial, since it was neoadjuvant. Supposedly there weren't heart problems, but I think the followup was short and this was also a small trial. This trial also had good results in shrinking tumours before surgery. This trial was conducted at M.D. Anderson.

I haven't seen anything that combines these things though, so there might be a heightened risk of heart damage, since this seems to be uncharted territory.

Your oncologist may have a good reason for giving you treatment in this order, but you need to make sure that you are comfortable with it.
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
chrisy

Hi Peg, welcome to this board. There are many very knowledgeable folks here and you will get a lot of great information here. I have not personally heard of this combo in this order, but treatment protocols do vary. I would strongly recommend you seek a second opinion, at a NCI cancer center if possible just because there are so many different options, and what you are saying does sound unusual (but not necessarily "wrong") Be prepared to get differing opinions, but the most important thing is that YOU feel comfortable with the decision - it is, after all, YOUR life.
Good luck to you - hang in there.
Chris
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
Peggy

similar treatment

Hi Peg,

I am stage IIIC. I participated in a clinical trial that gave FEC100 + herceptin x4 followed by taxotere+xeloda+herceptin x4 followed by mastectomy and radiation x33. The herceptin was stopped 3 weeks before surgery and resumed 3 weeks after surgery. I was pathologically NED. I have a muga or electrocard. every 3 months and my ejection fraction has improved during treatment. I had my last herceptin treatment last week.

So, while my treatment is different it has some similarities. The results of my clinical trial will be reported at the San Antonio conference in Dec. My oncologist says the preliminary results appear very good. I know I am pleased.

Hope this helps.

Peggy
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
Sheila

Peg

Where are you at in Florida....I have heard great things about the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa.....maybe another opinion is in order.
Irene on this board is also from Florida,,,maybe she could give you some help.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote