HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
bejuce

Recipe for disaster??

Hi HER-2ers,

I'm sitting here in my work cube all day and wondering whether my lifestyle needs to be completely changed. I've been working way too hard, and don't have any time for myself. This whole month has been a continuous fire drill at work and I've had to cut my exercise and sleep time, in addition to eating more sugar as a result of the endless supply of candy in a bowl nearby.

Yesterday marked one year since I started at my new job, and while it has done wonders for my emotional and mental recovery (in addition to boosting my self-esteem and making me feel more normal), I'm starting to think that working like this won't do me any good long term and health-wise.

I wake up at 6:30 every day to get the kids ready for school, go to work and sit all day, getting up only to go to the bathroom, go to meetings, or grab lunch (mostly eaten at my desk), leaving at around 5-6 to go to my kids' soccer practices, gymnastics, etc., make dinner, clean the house, put the kids to bed, and sometimes work late on my computer, all to start over the next day.

I thought that after cancer I should be focusing on what's really important and smelling the roses, but rather I'm back to being a worker bee. Does anyone feel trapped by work? What do you do to make your daily life more manageable?

I know I shouldn't be complaining as I know there are others out there battling for their lives. I should be grateful that I'm being given the opportunity to continue my life as normal. I'm just very burned out with this past month and need a break. Maybe I'll take a day or two off next week.

I wish I could quit work all together, but unfortunately we're not there yet financially. Any suggestions on how to make my cube slavery existence more manageable and less negative affecting on my health?

I'm mad that this month I could only make it to one spinning workout a week. I think I'll stop whining and being afraid of the road and start biking to work...

Sorry for the rant, just feeling very overworked right now...

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Laurel

Re: Recipe for disaster??

Marcia,

I can totally relate and wish I had some sage advise or suggestion for coping, but I am in the same boat. I call it "gerbil syndrome." We get on that little wheel in life and run, run, run, run until we drop. I will be waiting and watching to see what others suggest, or if we are all in the same boat!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
BonnieR

You mentioned a few solutions already. Maybe a few days off work. Make spinning class a priority, no matter what. Bike to work (sounds COLD! Wear a helmet too!). But you really are talking about quality of life. I know what you are saying about "smelling the roses" and I felt that way when first diagnosed. It was pretty easy to see things with new eyes. Now a few years have passed. I dont have all the responsibilties that you do, still, I fail to have meaningful, rose smelling days! I think real life creeps back in eventually. And that is a good thing in it's way. Cancer is not the star anymore.
At the same time, we dont want to take life for granted. Nor have regrets about things we missed or failed to do. There are days when I wish I could remember better how I felt right after I was diagnosed. Everything superficial fell away. And I did not care about petty things or petty people.
I have a suggestion. I am reading a book by a young woman and mother. "The Happiness Project". It looks at how we can improve our day to day in order to feel happy and fullfilled. Maybe you can relate to it. And it is fun to read.
You have raised an important issue and I am sure it will resonate with others here.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
snolan

My husband and I ditched the gym during my treatments and started doing the P90X workouts at home, he also purchased the "rack" workout, loves both of them. We get up before the kids do and workout for an hour then start our day. We also take time out on the weekends to do our biking and trade off one night during the week to bike with a friend. It helps that we can work together to achieve this schedule as we are both workout freaks. Once I finished treatment I started going back to the gym with a friend 3x wk. My husband still works out at home. Having a friend to workout with keeps me from cancelling. I think that is what has helped me out the most, we used to do spin class together but I changed jobs and the class was not accessable from where I worked.
Getting co-workers to join in on lunch ideas that are healthy can set a tone for work related meals. Be the one that sets out almonds in a bowl for snacks so you can bypass the candy.
It definetly takes an effort to fight the habits that work and a busy life can place on us. Hope you can find that inner workout peace again.
Suzanne
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
Mary Jo

What a great post and one that I'm sure many of us can relate too. I, thankfully, work only 20 hours a week and have much calm in my life...however, that being said, calm vs. stress is something many cancer survivors wonder about. We also beat ourselves up over minimal or lack of exercise.....eating too much of whatever "bad" food is bad.....carrying excess weight....and the list goes on and on.

Let me reassure you. As a 6 year survivor, I, too, went through many of these phases. I tried (of course always failing at one point) doing everything perfectly. Eat no sugar.....take all the right supplements (whatever the heck they are)......lose the etxra poundage.....exercise religiously.....and on and on it goes.

Failing at all of these at one point, I can still say I am a 6 year NED survivor. Why? I don't know. Why do those that do all the right things recur? I don't know that either.

I know some would argue that using the phrase "it's a crap shoot" isn't true. I disagree. Now, that being said, do I think that we should "abuse" our bodies? NO! We should make a conscious effort each day to take care of ourselves the best we can each day. It's just overall good common sense...good for our health overall and good for our heart. Not to mention, we've already had cancer, we surely don't need to abuse these bodies we fought (or our fighting) to make healthy or healthier. Should we be stressed to the max? No! Of course, quiet time....relaxing and minimizing stress is just good for us. How we deal with stress is important too. If you enjoy your job and it's making a difference in your emotional place since cancer, then I think you should continue to do it. As you stated, there are ways you can try to aid in the stress relief and exercise dilema.

This is our life. As imperfect as anyone elses. We cannot control whether we live or die, because we are all going to die. We can control how we live these lives God has given us. We can control the quality of our lives by choices we make while we are here.

For me personally, when I reached the place of accepting what I'd been through, accepting that I had no control of whether or not "it" came back and accepting my imperfect self and just doing the best I could, it was then my stress level went way down. I've learned (and am always learning) to live in the moment. To "stop and smell the roses," as you stated, wherever those "roses" were. Keeping my attitude fixed on letting God's love shine all around me and being a person who tries to make a difference in what's going on around me....whether at work or at home.

I hope this helps somewhat in allowing you to put all of "it" into perspective. I hope you are successful in eliminating some of the stress in your life or at least learning how to bring some balance for you.

God's Peace I pray for you,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28

Last edited by Mary Jo; 11-02-2011 at 11:02 AM..
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Becky

Is there a safe place to walk around your office building - looping around the building a time or two - just for 15 minutes or so. A mental break for you and then eat at your desk. Maybe an office friend can join you and you can at least complain together.

I don't have little kids anymore (25, 22 and 20) but I remember those days of doing exactly what you're doing and its nuts but necessary. And I didn't have cancer until they were 18, 15 and 13! When my kids were littler, I limited how many activities they did - one sport each for example. I wouldn't allow music, sports, dance etc. And the kids really don't want to be ultra busy either. Also, I cooked alot on the weekend. A double meal of 2 things Saturday and Sunday - then I had things to heat up when they had games etc. It doesn't take that much extra effort to make a double meatloaf and a big pot of soup on a Saturday or Sunday. There are also sites online where they give you ideas of making a huge chicken or 2 chickens and the first night you have roasted chicken and the second night you have chicken tacos etc. It takes little preplanning but you get the hang of it as the weeks go by. Can't help the working - OMG, I can never keep up - it just keeps coming and coming and coming but I am like you and need to work. At least I like it. So, don't let your kids be super kids (they don't want to just as much as you can't be supermom), and plan those meals. The house can be somewhat let go. Even small children can do small tasks. Little kids can't "clean their room" but you can tell them to put the books in the book shelf and to pick up the clothes on the floor and put it in the hamper - one small task at a time. Even so, can you spring for "Merry Maids" to come every other week? Just a thought. I hope I haven't overstepped my bounds but I know exactly what you're going through. It is a tough time of life and then you had cancer too but this too will pass and you will miss this time (my 25 yr old daughter is engaged and getting married May 26, 2012 - I still remember her first day of kindergarten and don't know where that time went). Hugs to you

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
CoolBreeze

I'm still off work after my liver resection, but I certainly have felt the way you have felt. I think there is an expectation that cancer will cause a "great change" in all of us and we will enjoy every experience more, which I have found to not be true. I do appreciate my life more now, but it doesn't mean I enjoy every aspect of it.

Assuming that work is a must for you, perhaps you need a new challenge? Is there something your boss can give you to do that excites you? Is there a position within the company that you may want to try for? Something simple, like making a new friend or going out to lunch once a week might be helpful.

I very much enjoy my job - I'm a high school secretary. Something different and interesting happens every single day. But, I hate the hours and am dreading when I have to go back and get up at 5:00 a.m. And then the routine will start - take the kid home, prepare the meal, watch some TV, go to sleep. I enjoy my life but it can be tedious and now I have to use all of my vacation on surgery time, so I can't even look forward to that. I just try to find something every day that makes me happy. A kid's face, a silly joke, a kind word.

And, when you can't do that, you are perfectly normal. Cancer can't change humanity.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
chekmark

I have nothing to add other than I am happy to feel good enough to go to work everday. But like others have said I try to take more time for me now. Cancer changed me and my husband. He was affected also. We have different goals than we had before. I work full time and still give 100% when I am there but when I leave work I leave it at work, I do not bring it home anymore. I hope you find a solution. We can never get back time lost. Take care and God bless. Darlene
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
fauxgypsy

I know exactly how you feel. I love teaching but I hate the commute and resent it more and more each day. I feel as if I am just burning time. I listen to audiobooks and try to feel that the time is not wasted but it is hard. I have also noticed that my eating habits get worse during the school year. I had hoped that I would make lasting changes in reponse to the cancer but I feel that I am getting back to where I started. I hope you can figure out a way to get it under control.

I am coming to terms with being a type A personality. Not quite as driven as I used to be,though. It might just be fatigue. Still, those roses are important. ; )
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
MJo

I don't know what to say except "I hear you." No kids to care for, so I have a little more time to smell the roses, but worrying gets in the way. As Roseanne Rosanadanna says, "It's always something."

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
Paty

Dear Marcia,

I understand exactly what you mean. I think that it is always good to make a list of your priorities and try to eliminate from your life what it is really not that important. Exercising is always good, it keeps your energy and clears your mind. I tried to be very respectful with my time while I was working (was laid off last week), never put overtime and tried to give my time to what I love the most, my family. Now I am enjoying my free time and will not look for a job until next year, money is necessary, but it is not everything. Good luck and try not to get too overcommitted with life. Life is so fun if we can enjoy it in the simplest way.
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:45 AM   #12
Lien

Been there, done that. My husband works in the theatre as a lighting technician, which means he wasn\t home at night or on weekends, and slept late during the week.

My tricks:
Get help! Pool with other parents. We used to take turns taking the kids to baseball practice, and we would feed 4 kids & drive them once a month. That was hectic, but the other 3 weeks someone else did it.
I don't know how old your kids are, but most kids can do a couple of chores. Make it into a match: the one that finished clearing up his/her room first gets a treat/can watch tv for 30 minutes/gets computertime. Or if there is a lot of age difference: The kid that can clear the clutter from the floor within 15 minutes (egg timer!) gets computer time, tv time, etc.
Talk to your boss and ask if you can do some work from home. Some tasks can be done that way and it saves time if you don't have to get stuck in rush hour traffic.
Take the stairs
Make a mealplan, including healthy snacks. Buy once a week and take the healthy snacks to work.
While you are making dinner, put your kids in front of the tv and give them a bowl of cherry tomatoes, cubes of cucumber, carrot sticks, etc to nibble on. That way you don't have to worry about there vegetable intake, and if they don't eat their vegetables, you just tell them they have to taste three bites and you can leave it after that. Far less stress. Also, put vegetables in the blender with a bit of chicken stock (cube), heat and serve while they are watching tv. It gives you a little time to yourself, while you are cooking dinner.
Use stairs in stead of elevator, park further away from the entrance, so you force yourself to get exercise. Also, our mothers and grandmothers didn't exercise, because they did housework. So put on some music and try dancing around the room while you dust and clean surfaces. Perhaps you can even entice the whole family to join you for one hour on Saturday morning. Each person can choose a song and the others have to dance to it. It's more fun than doing chores.

I truly believe that things are easier to deal with when we pretend they are fun. So even if I have to do boring stuff, I try to make fun of it every now and then. That makes it more doable.

Hang in there, it will get better. My kids are 11 and 16 now, and although they can be a handful, it is easier to just walk away and ignore them for a bit. Couldn't do that when they were 3 and 8, around the time of my diagnosis. Now they go off with their friends and keep themselves busy.

And even though I don't want them to spend too much time in front of a screen, sometimes a tv, dvd or computergame can give me a much needed break. I have invested in a couple of good movies, acceptable games, and nice music to buy me some time.

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:19 AM   #13
Jean

Wow all great suggestions!

I too put music on while cleaning up the house.
I sing and still dance thru the rooms.
When my son was younger (now 28 and engaged, getting married this coming Aug. 2012) I would put on music and he would clean up his toys and do chores and we danced thru it.
Gosh, it was like yesterday. I still put music on and we still dance and do our house chores. Most of all we have fun.

Like Becky my son was older when I was dx.
But here is my 2 cents worth:

Kids grow fast...enjoy and fun with them.
I see some of my younger neighbors and they are on a merry go round. Too many after school activities & the parents are burnt out. Select carefully.
Work to live....not live to work. With the economy the way it is many companies are taking advantage of good hard working people. Without knowing the type of work you do and what must be done in a day (I find we tend to think everything must be done today) there is tomorrow to make that task first.
Interesting feature: the best meals are the simple ones.
Fresh veggies, salads, soups - (invest in a slow cooker) now that we are going into the winter season, they are perfect. Use mine at least 2 per week. Made a lentil soup this week that all loved. It is nice to come home have the meal waiting. Also great on weekend where you can go out and have long walks while the cooker is working for you.
Maybe post in your local library or supermarket for a high school jr./or senior or college student who is seeking to earn some money and pay them to come in once or 2X per week to help out for 2 or 3 hrs. Take some of the weight off of you. I have a friend who has a small B&B and she hires college kids for 8.00 phr. to come in make beds, throw cloths in laundry. Plus your kids helping makes for more time for all.

I hope some of these things help.
Do take a mental health day off from work.
How is your boss? Understanding ?
Sending you hugs Bejuice.
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:08 AM   #14
sarah

Hello Marcia,
Good post, this effects so many people. Ask your kids to help, ask friends to help.
There are some good answers here. you are obviously overwhelmed and depressed. Ask about anti-depressants and every evening when you come home take some time for yourself before plunging into family stuff, making dinner, etc.
Find a supportive friend you can talk to.
You must get to a point where you realize that although your life is tough, you have a wonderful family and you're alive and re-learn to appreciate the little things while this might seem trivial, it isn't. attitude is so important. learning to appreciate whatever you have in life is vital to happiness but you can't do that when you're depressed or feeling overwhelmed.
You are lucky to have a husband and children, so many cancer patients are totally alone. While they may sometimes create more work, I can assure you it's better than being alone.
take time for yourself. go to bed early and read or listen to audio books, nothing takes you away from the petty problems of life like a book. don't watch TV news, it's depressing.
It's hard to be ill and work but in this financial crisis, remember how lucky you are to have a job and obviously you're good at it.
talk honestly to your family about what you need from them and how you feel, they love you and will help.
What about seeing a psychologist?
Remember the most important thing, you're still here! Embrace each day, it really is a gift especially to us who have looked death in the face and are still here.
Take care, be gentle with yourself.
health and happiness
hugs and love
sarah
Old 11-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #15
Jackie07

Marcia,

Not sure if you remember the 'Ping Shuai Kung' film I posted a couple of years ago. Here's a shorter one with English narration at the end. You can do it anywhere anytime as long as there's enough space for you to swing your arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c80I01HKAvM

Basically, swing your arms naturally and bend your knees on the fourth beat. You can also do it when you are walking.

Take care.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 11-12-2011 at 11:35 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #16
Catherine

This is a great thread. I have had so many of these same thoughts. One of the things I do when I want to stop and smell the roses, is to come to our Her2 site. I do not have the large responsibilites that many do, and I am grateful. That being said, it is still easy to forget to take time for myself, time for those I really care about and time to just feel the joy around me. Oh yes, and taking time to be grateful that I am still here! For those who have plates overflowing with jobs and families, I hope you can sneak out some time for you. Schedule yourself on your "daytimer." You deserve it!

All the best to all of you wonderful friends,

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #17
bejuce

Thank you so much, ladies!!! As usual this group comes through with support, words of encouragement, inspiration, life tips, and more!

After my busiest month (October) of the fiscal year and first week of November (which was quite busy as well) I took a day "off" last week to drive my 4th grader on a day long field trip with her class in an open preserve here in the Bay Area. It was a beautiful day spent with kids and the park guides in nature, hiking and learning about the environment.

We also took Veterans' Day off since the kids were off school and drove down to LA on Thursday night to take them to Disneyland. On the drive back, we decided to spend a relaxing day in Santa Barbara where we rented bikes to bike with the kids on the beach.

This is how I try to like every day now - to the fullest. And that's why I was complaining before, if I work too much I'm not able to do the rest. What pushes me over the edge is having to work late nights after my kids go to bed.

So... To shorten this up, here are my goals for this new fiscal year at work/life:

1. Plan ahead to stay ahead of my projects so I can drive to all the field trips (which I already did before cancer, but now it's even more important to me that I do so) and enjoy my kids' days off from school with them.

2. Stop taking on so much from different angles, and let go of some responsibilities. For example, last year I was room mom in both my daughters' classrooms. This year, I signed up to be the room mom for my 4th grader class. It's turning out to be lots of work, work that at times I could do without. I think people at school now know me as the one with lots of energy to take on many projects and ask me for help when needed. Because of what I went through, I see every moment as an opportunity to give my kids precious memories with their mom and I have a hard time saying no to things like organizing the classroom Halloween party, helping with school projects, etc. I have to learn to say no to certain tasks (like being the one planning the parties for their soccer teams, ordering their trophies, etc.) and focus on those tasks that are really important. A big problem I have is that I think I should try to do it all now because who knows what may happen in the future.

3. Sign up for an exercise boot camp with a friend and stop coming up with excuses. Exercise always needs to come first before work.

4. Stop being an overachiever at work and slack off a bit more. If I can't finish something on time without having to work a late night, so be it. As long as I'm doing my job, I'll be ok. No need to strive for the stars at work anymore. I already proved myself on FY11, and now on FY12, it's time to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

5. Always make time for family and friends no matter what.

6. Try to get in some time for myself once in a while. This time for myself should not include grocery shopping alone or folding laundry in peace (which I like to do and honestly sometimes it's all I get of alone time...)

That said, it's already late and time to go home and have another wonderful night with my family.

Thank you so much for all your support!!!

Marcia

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #18
snolan

Sounds like you have a good plan, I know you will be sucessful, good luck.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #19
LoisLane

Hey Marcia Great ideas on your list. I think it is important to let go of some of the
stuff they gets you way too busy and tired. Enjoy your family and your work in moderation and pace yourself as you have said. Jean I am glad I am not the only one that dances around the house. I am always doing ballet (have no idea what I am doing) around the house room to room when classical music is on. My daughter who is a dancer quite cant believe what she is seeing. I have been a medical secretary in many hospitals here in Toronto for 30 years. The last 10 years I have been working for two wonderful women, both family physicians. I have decided to stop working (I know I am very lucky I can do this). I want to spend a lot of time with family, but I will be filling in when staff have sick days and holidays, that way I can still see everyone. I will also be starting soon to volunteer in the chemo unit in one of our hospitals. Its funny now that I am not working I think is there anything I would like to try now. I said to my sister I would love
to be a waitress in one of the laid back diners. she said are you crazy, I said no I just
want to say to someone "kiss my grits" ha ha anyone remember that. love Lois
Her2 negative
lymph nodes negative
venous/lymphatic invasion absent
ER+PR-
Stage I Grade 2
Radiation and Femara

November 2008
Lumpectomy right breast
2 tumours .03 cm and .05 cm and extensive DCIS
.05 tumour Her2+
lymph node negative