HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
greenacres

Shooting pain in non-cancerous breast..should I be concerned?

Good morning. My treatment ended 12/2010 when I had a bilateral breast MRI which showed a "probably benign 3.8 mm intramammary node" in my right non-cancer breast" - left was good. Now, I am due for my 1 yr. checkup following treatment in December which will be a mammogram this time. Over the past two weeks I have had shooting pains and sometimes dull pains my right breast toward my armpit. I've done an exam or two and found no lumps or bumps but this concerns me. Do you think I should call sooner than later to ask for an ultrasound or just wait until December. I've also noticed my nipple has been a little itchy lately, but could be due to dry skin. My 6m mammo in June was good - but I have hetergenously dense breasts so I'm sure they couldn't see a damn thing anyway. My next bilateral breast MRI according to my oncologist's NP isn't to be until one year from this coming December cause they just don't think I need it cause I am/was Stage 1 even though ALL my mammo's say dense and even the radiologist says I should have MRI's, my onc's office says it's not necessary. Anyhoo, what do you guys think? I don't want to run to the Dr. if it's nothing, that will embarress me.

Thanks for listening.
Mammogram: 11/12/09
Call Back Mammo: 11/17/09
Biopsy: 11/25/09
Diagnosis Call: 12/2/09
Partial MX: 12/16/09. 3 LN clean.
6 Cycles Chemo (TCH) Jan-April/10; Herceptin all of 2010; 33 Rads complete 7/10. Herceptin done 12/10.
FOLLOW UPS:
Bil mammo, and Breast MRI 12/10 - CLEAN! (after a second lump was biopsied and BENIGN - showed giant cell reaction?).
Bil mammo 6/11 - CLEAN!
Left mammo 12/11 - CLEAN!
PET/CT scan 4/6/12 - CLEAN!
Bil mammo 8/12 - CLEAN!
November 2012 - Gallbladder Removed.
Bil MRI 2/13 - CLEAN!

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sandragreen
greenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile I now get a sono with ev mammo

Dense breasts. Clear mammo in Aug '94. 4th stage invasive lobular carcinoma July 1, '95.

Especially lobular -- they just can't see it all. It hides.

I have itchy foob (fake boob -- tram flap reconstruction) which is weird, cause I have no sensation in what I think of as my left breast. Had it for years. Mentioned to onc, who says it is nothing. He seems to be right.

It's so hard not to obsess about pains in general and especially once you've been dx.

Instead, I instruct my body at such horrid moments -- HEALTHY & WELL. NO MORE CANCER. I say that to myself 4 x a day. Make your Intentions and Expectations vividly clear -- to your body, and to the Universe.

Your body responds to your every thought. That is really big. Empowering!

BE WELL!
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
snolan

Re: Shooting pain in non-cancerous breast..should I be concerned?

Always better to error on the safe side. You don't want to be mistaken and then you are kicking yourself for not acting faster.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
BonnieR

Never feel embarrassed. Be your own advocate. Personally, I would ask for action sooner. When I had a "probably benign, come back for another mammo in 6 months" report I just felt funny about it. I asked my GYN to send me for another opinion mammo. They found my cancer at that visit. When I thanked him for listening to me he said "I may be young but I have learned to trust my patient's instincts". And that is what I am telling you. Trust your instincts. Even if it is nothing, you have a right to peace of mind sooner than later. Try not to worry prematurely, but also get resolution. Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation Right on, Bonnie!

Trust your Inner Voice. Not the voice in your head, which is so full of emotional negativity (I believe reflecting the primal You). Your Inner Voice is your Spirit. It loves you more than any in this world. It is full of eons of wisdom. Its' instincts are right on.

If your gut says not to waver, stick to your guns -- go for it. Being proactive came to me slowly, as I was shy and felt I had no medical degree. I've learned that you must speak up on your own behalf. No one is paying attenton to you as much as YOU!

That's how I discovered my metastasis (into the liver). My then ev 3 mnth blood test showed slight elevation in liver enzymes. Doc said, very very slight. I wouldn't worry. 3 mnths later, another onc said pretty much the same thing. Still, I was not happy not being within the norm in this one area -- or any area...

3 mnths later, when the exact same scenario occurred, I asked for an abdominal sono. Oh, you mean a liver sono. I guess we could substantiate that, the onc said (thinking of insurance company restrictions).

The radiologist looked and looked over and over and finally apologized but said he had to send me for a CT scan. He couldn't be sure what he was looking at. Right.

CT showed tumors throughout my liver! Later biopsy confirmed. I was in big trouble. On the verge of the point of no return. (My tumor markers, btw, were still normal.) So my onc told me, Well I guss we've learned not to trust your tumor markers. That is for me. In my situation. That's my body. Not everyone's.

But -- I caught the metastatis! I did. Without a medical degree. Only my Inner Voice urging me forward.

Had I waited any longer, I truly doubt I'd still be here. I just made it. Despite the awful stats and the dreary prognosis.

Don't hope -- DO! I heard a troubled little boy on Oprah who had undergone transformation after much therapy. Those were his words. Don't hope -- DO!
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...

Last edited by Andrea Barnett Budin; 10-20-2011 at 09:15 AM..
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
norkdo

Smile Re: Right on, Bonnie!

wow andi! thank you. reading ur bio, first real hope for me i have read on this site. thanks very very deeply.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
DeenaH

I hope it is nothing, but shooting pain is how I found my cancer. I would be demanding an MRI if I were you. If you had a mass in an intramammory node, that is concerning. 3.8 mm would be too small to light up on PET. The others ate right. Go with your gut and don't let anyone talk you out of it. Good luck!
August 20, 2010: PET/CT showed no cancer in any nodes, and only a little uptake to the breast.
September 9, 2010: Bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implants and Alloderm.
September 16, 2010: Pathology report showed 18/51 positive axillary nodes, 3.2cm tumor. Granual sized cancer found in the fatty tissue between levels 1 and 2.
October 19, 2010: CT showed several spots on lungs and 1 spot on liver. Liver spot is 2mm, lung spots range from 2mm to 4mm. We don't know if they are cancer or not.
12/15/10: Brain MRI clear
1/7/11: PET/CT
1/13/11: Recurrence in lungs. Start Tykerb
5/13/11: Progression in lungs
6/3/11: Lung surgery to get tumors for chemosensitivity testing.
DeenaH is offline   Reply With Quote